Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 04-28-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of
Default Albany Firebirds offer Michael Vick a contract

The Albany Firebirds have offered Michale Vick a contract.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories...storyID=794745
Old 04-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Albany Firebirds offer Michael Vick a contract

I like that the contract requires him to donate to the Humane Society!
Old 04-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Meh, arenafootball2. That's like Go-Karts vs Nascar.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

The Firebirds are desperate. They are on the verge of folding and need something big to save the franchise.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

No NFL team will want that baggage. There will be protests, season ticket holders turn in their tickets, and lots of bad publicity.

Vick is done and this might be as good as he will be able to do. It isn't like he was that great of a QB anyway, a couple of years of prison really haven't honed his skills.
blugill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
white_s2k
The Dude Abides

First Name: Josh
Trading: (20)
white_s2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugill View Post
No NFL team will want that baggage. There will be protests, season ticket holders turn in their tickets, and lots of bad publicity.

Vick is done and this might be as good as he will be able to do. It isn't like he was that great of a QB anyway, a couple of years of prison really haven't honed his skills.
Unfortunately, that is what our society has turned into. What is the point of receiving and completing a punishment for breaking a law in this society if once you have completed the punishment you still are not allowed to live a productive and normal life. Our system is set up to punish you for the rest of your life if you have ever even been suspected of committing a crime. It is actually pretty sad if you think about it.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
blugill
Feeling at Home

blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

If the NFL reinstates him then it is open season for the teams to see who wants to take a chance on him.
Punishment, forgiveness, and apologies aside it is still a business and I really doubt anyone would want to invest seven figures into an average QB with declining skills. His shelf life was limited and now it is fast approaching the expiration date.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

It is going to be like when Mike Tyson got out of prison. He was never the same fighter losing those prime years from his career.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
white_s2k
The Dude Abides

Quote:
If the NFL reinstates him then it is open season for the teams to see who wants to take a chance on him.
Punishment, forgiveness, and apologies aside it is still a business and I really doubt anyone would want to invest seven figures into an average QB with declining skills. His shelf life was limited and now it is fast approaching the expiration date.
If he can prove himself on the field, I see no reason why a NFL team shouldn't sign him. The opinion of him being "average" is debatable, but I think the guy has paid his dues and should be given a second chance if his talent is seen as worth it to a franchise.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:02 PM   #10
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

I believe that some NFL team will take him. Will he be anything like the old Vick? I say 50/50. Would I want him? Hell no!
Old 04-28-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
The Firebirds are desperate. They are on the verge of folding and need something big to save the franchise.
Didn't they fold up once before? I thought the AFL franchise moved to Indiana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner View Post
I believe that some NFL team will take him. Will he be anything like the old Vick? I say 50/50. Would I want him? Hell no!
Somebody will take him. PacMan Jones. Tank Johnson. An owner will take him for the attention it will generate.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoishoosier View Post
Didn't they fold up once before? I thought the AFL franchise moved to Indiana?
Albany had an AFL team that left and the next year they started with AF2. They went back to the Firebirds name for this season to try and save the franchise. At 0-5 it is not working.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #13
blugill
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_s2k View Post
If he can prove himself on the field, I see no reason why a NFL team shouldn't sign him. The opinion of him being "average" is debatable, but I think the guy has paid his dues and should be given a second chance if his talent is seen as worth it to a franchise.
Vick had 71 TDs, 52 INTs, and a 53.8 completion rate over his career with 20 TDs being his best and he threw 13 INTs in his last season. I think average sums it up.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #14
white_s2k
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Vick had 71 TDs, 52 INTs, and a 53.8 completion rate over his career with 20 TDs being his best and he threw 13 INTs in his last season. I think average sums it up.
Since when has Vick ever been known as a great passer? He made big plays with his legs not his arm. He was like that his entire NFL career.. nothing new.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #15
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
True but I don't think it is his passing numbers that people like about him. Are his passing numbers average..yes. The guy can make plays on the ground...a scrambling machine!
Old 04-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #16
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Michael Vick, if reinstated, will get a chance in the NFL and there are likely a number of teams who will give him that shot, unless he comes out of prison at 300lbs and can't hold onto a football, which it doesn't sound like. You can't teach the athletic skill he has and he has paid his debt to society and will have this over his head for the rest of his career. For 700K (or so) someone will let him play, he will be the fastest #3 QB in the league. Even if it doesn't happen before training camp, look for a team to pick him up once QB's start getting hurt.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #17
blugill
Feeling at Home

In his last season he had a grand total of 2 rushing TDs and 9 fumbles.
His career rushing stats are 21 TDs and 55 fumbles....
Old 04-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #18
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Someone will take a chance. They won't have to pay him big money. Just the veterans minimum. I just doubt he will be able to play QB anywhere. Maybe a switch to another position will help get more teams interested.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #19
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
In his last season he had a grand total of 2 rushing TDs and 9 fumbles.
His career rushing stats are 21 TDs and 55 fumbles....
21 TD's and 19 fumbles for his rushing career

And 2 TD's with 4 fumbles and rushed for over 1000 yards in 2006

27 lost fumbles in 74 career games

According to NFL.com
Old 04-28-2009, 05:52 PM   #20
blugill
Feeling at Home

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...Mi00.htm?redir