Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 05-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough
Default Commerical cabinet humi rehab-need a little advice

So I picked up an old commercial cabinet humi today. I drove around 90 miles each way to pick up pretty much sight-un-seen but the price was so low that I felt I could roll the dice.

Over all it is in pretty good shape. It's obviously no aristocrat. I'm not crazy about the angled shelves - I feel like I am losing a lot of storage space that way so if I can get this thing sealed up and it holds RH well maybe I will think about building some new shelves for it.

The problems I am seeing right now:

1 - The front glass doors seem like they are not sealing, mostly the left side door.
2 - The back piece of wood (could be Spanish cedar, it least it's not aromatic!) is pretty thin.
3 - There are a few small gaps.

I can probably lay another piece of wood over the back to thicken it up. I'm not sure what to do about the doors yet.

I went to Home Depot and picked up some clear, silicone caulk. Is that OK to seal the gaps and also to seal where the glass meets the wood on the inside? I am concerned about the odor.

Any advice at all is most welcome.

Last edited by AD720; 05-09-2009 at 05:31 PM.
AD720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
Barteur
Golf is life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (18)
Cohiba
Barteur will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Commerical cabinet humi rehab-need a little ad

''I went to Home Depot and picked up some clear, silicone caulk. Is that OK to seal the gaps and also to seal where the glass meets the wood on the inside? I am concerned about the odor.

Any advice at all is most welcome.[/quote]

If you worry about the silicone odour, it will go away just vent it and you will be ok. I had to redo my shower couple of weeks ago and it smell for two day while drying out. For where the glass meets the wood I would put tape used for door insulation. It's like a foam that stick only on one side, there's many size and thickness.
Nice acquisition I wish I could find something similar in my area. Keep posting the progress of your project it's always fun to read.
Frenchie

Last edited by Barteur; 05-09-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Barteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
ChasDen

Looks like there are holes in the front side edges for pins or something to hold the shelf's.

Are the planks loose in the front piece that hooks into those holes?

If so cut them down so the shelf isn't so deep and put them in the right hole to make them level.

The silicone will be fine. I would leave the doors open and nothing in it for a week or so. It cures to the touch in hours but will continue to cure for up to weeks depending on how thick a bead you use. Only use what you need (thickness).

Weatherstrip tape is what you need for the doors. Any home improvement store sells it in the same area as the screen material and winterizing supplies.

If you need help with the shelf's let me know

Chas

PS nice find
Old 05-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasDen View Post
Looks like there are holes in the front side edges for pins or something to hold the shelf's.

Are the planks loose in the front piece that hooks into those holes?

If so cut them down so the shelf isn't so deep and put them in the right hole to make them level.

The silicone will be fine. I would leave the doors open and nothing in it for a week or so. It cures to the touch in hours but will continue to cure for up to weeks depending on how thick a bead you use. Only use what you need (thickness).

Weatherstrip tape is what you need for the doors. Any home improvement store sells it in the same area as the screen material and winterizing supplies.

If you need help with the shelf's let me know

Chas

PS nice find
I was hoping you would jump in about the silicone. Thanks bro, that eases my mind.

The shelves are one piece and are completely removable. There is a small metal bracket that sits in the holes and the front of the shelf rests on that and the back of the shelf just leans on the back so I would need to figure out a way to hold the back in as well. Maybe just a little L bracket...

As far as the doors go, the one on the right is OK as that one has the "fluffy stuff" on the back out it that seals it against the right side door. The seal that I am worried about with the right side door is where it meets the right side of the track. It pops away from the side with the slightest touch. The weather stripping would help with that seal but what I really need is a way to keep the right side door from opening, some kind of latch. (I don't know if any of that makes sense.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
ChasDen

If you need some help with the shelf's, let me know. If you give me the depth and send them to me I can take them apart and rebuild them for you to the right depth.

The latch at the bottom of the doors looks like a standard glass door latch, fiddle with it and see if you can adjust it. Some have a way to take out the slack to make them tight. If not I will look at work and see if we have any laying around.

Chas
Old 05-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasDen View Post
If you need some help with the shelf's, let me know. If you give me the depth and send them to me I can take them apart and rebuild them for you to the right depth.

The latch at the bottom of the doors looks like a standard glass door latch, fiddle with it and see if you can adjust it. Some have a way to take out the slack to make them tight. If not I will look at work and see if we have any laying around.

Chas
The latch is only a lock. And I don't have a key. I accidentally locked it while I was moving it and had to break into it with a screwdriver. Twice.

Thanks for all the advice Chuck. Like I said, if I can get this thing holding RH well I will look into a better shelf system and you will be the first stop.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
colimo
friend of Brother Maynard

First Name: doug
Trading: (41)
PL
colimo will become famous soon enough

nice pick up andrew....know the feeling
Old 05-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
bob staebell

There are elements of construction that remind me of cabinets built by the "Humidor Store" in Florida. An automotive or glass doorstyle of brush-felt for sealing glass doors is often used. crlaurence.com is a good source for it. They also have showcase locks to replace the broken one. That looks like a standard push button version.

Have fun with it.

Cheers,
Bob Staebell
Old 05-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob staebell View Post
There are elements of construction that remind me of cabinets built by the "Humidor Store" in Florida. An automotive or glass doorstyle of brush-felt for sealing glass doors is often used. crlaurence.com is a good source for it. They also have showcase locks to replace the broken one. That looks like a standard push button version.

Have fun with it.

Cheers,
Bob Staebell
Thanks Bob! There is a plaque on the side that says something about where it was made and I think it did say FL. I'll take a pic of it and post it up when I get home.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:46 AM   #10
dccraft

Nice score Andrew. A sweet cabinet.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:55 AM   #11
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Nice score. I don't know $hit about making cabinets, but, would using the door magnets in the wood help hold it tightly shut?
Old 05-14-2009, 07:27 AM   #12
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas
Default Re: Commercial cabinet humi rehab-need a little ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
Nice score. I don't know $hit about making cabinets, but, would using the door magnets in the wood help hold it tightly shut?
That could work...

...but luckily I don't think it will be necessary.

I sealed up the gaps with the silicone and let it air out for 3 days, then put the doors on, threw in the cigar oasis and a few empty boxes and let her rip and it holds a solid 70% (without the CO running constantly). I really think this is going to work!

I got a little paranoid when I thought I smelled the chemical still so I took the doors back off and I'm going to give it another week or so before I put anything in it.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:33 AM   #13
colimo

PL

just picked up a similar although not so big one myself a cpl days ago...

even has a humi system in place although dont think it is one of Bob Staebells...
wiped down all the inside and shelves with towel and distilled water but still can only get it up to about 58rh after 24 hours...wondering what i can do...
boveda?
Old 05-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #14
random0813

sexy pickup Andrew!
Old 05-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #15
csbrewfisher
Welcome to my nightmare

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (10)
LGC Navy (Served With Honor)
csbrewfisher will become famous soon enough

Do you mind telling us how much you paid for it?
csbrewfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:04 PM   #16
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by colimo View Post
just picked up a similar although not so big one myself a cpl days ago...

even has a humi system in place although dont think it is one of Bob Staebells...
wiped down all the inside and shelves with towel and distilled water but still can only get it up to about 58rh after 24 hours...wondering what i can do...
boveda?
Nice! I think that is actually bigger than mine though, definitely set up to hold more sticks. Put a couple small containers of distilled water in there to help it season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbrewfisher View Post
Do you mind telling us how much you paid for it?
More than $50 and less than $500.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #17
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
Thanks Bob! There is a plaque on the side that says something about where it was made and I think it did say FL. I'll take a pic of it and post it up when I get home.
Better late than never!

Old 05-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #18
troutbreath
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
troutbreath is on a distinguished road

GREAT pick ups! I have wondered if there were commercial humidors out there to pick up with the downturn in the economy and SCHIP. Those look really nice! Keep us posted on your refurbishing efforts.
troutbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:21 PM   #19
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas

Will do.

It has been running for two weeks now and it holds steady at 65% w/ the cigar oasis + beads. The oasis only runs if I open the door for more than 30 seconds or so.

Next step is new shelves. With the angled shelves I couldn't even empty one cooler.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:07 PM   #20
colimo

PL

got mine up and running andrew....so far is holding steady rh....got my few sticks in it....have a couple of angled shelves, but wont bother with em for now....enjoy yours