Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Tır
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation
Default A Random Act of Kindness inspired by CA

CA is my home. Since the beginning of this great community I have been nothing but amazed by the constant generosity and good will shown by the brothers and sisters of Cigar Asylum. Everything from troop support, charity donations, PIF's, to the little everyday kind words and thoughtful bombs. I am always humbled by the kindness we show to each other and the rest of the world. Just being a part of CA has helped me to try and become a better person.

So it is with that thought in mind that I relate to you my small story from this morning. Today is Mother's Day. Unfortunately I had to work today but am still in fantastic spirits. So, in honor of Mother's Day, I decided to buy all of my female co-workers Starbucks this morning in order to say thanks to all the moms, soon-to-be moms, and women in our lives who make life better. So I collected everyone's drink order and headed down a few blocks to the local Starbucks. It wasn't very busy inside but there were a few people there to begin their morning ritual. I was standing at the end of the line with a list of 8 different drink orders in my hand for my co-workers. A woman in scrubs walks up behind me to get in line. I turn and tell her to go ahead and get in front of me since I have a bunch of orders and I'm sure she only needs a drink or two. She thanks me and gets in front of me in line. I strike up a conversation with her and tell her happy Mother's Day. She tells me that she is a nurse at one of the ER's and is just about to begin her shift. Being in public service myself, I sympathize with her having to work weekends, holidays and night shifts. She says that the hardest part of today was leaving her kids at home this morning. As she was leaving they asked her "Do you have to go? It's Mother's Day." I could tell she was feeling a bit conflicted about having to leave her kids home on what could inexplicably be called "her" day, so wanting to brighten this complete stranger's day I told her I would buy her coffee and her breakfast for her. Unexpectedly the woman broke down in tears right there in the line at Starbucks. To say I was surprised was an understatement. After myself and a Starbucks employee had calmed her down and got her seated she explained why she had reacted that way. She told me that the past month had been extremely hard on her because she's going through a rough divorce. She was going through a harsh legal battle over the custody of her children and had stretched her self a bit thin in her life. She stated that financially and emotionally it had been hard on her as she didn't have any family in the area. She had given up on people and had adopted a pessimistic and deafeatist attitude. She said she broke down crying because it was the first act of kindness that anyone had shown her in months. She didn't even realize how much she needed to know that people are inherently good. She told me that this single act had completely turned her day around and that now she was going to go to work energized, with a positive attitude. I'll tell you, it warmed my heart to hear that.

I got a bit more than I bargained for this morning but it cemented the fact that we all need a boost every now and again in our lives. I credit my CA fam for giving me mine when I needed it, and I also credit CA for inspiring me to pay it forward to another. We never know where people are in their lives or what they may be going through. Thank you CA for teaching me this lesson and inspiring me to be a better person.

Happy Mother's Day! Go out and spread some cheer and do something positive for a total stranger today
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: A Random Act of Kindness inspired by CA

That's why I love you, Brother...making a difference. Thanks for sharing, that just made my day as well, Tır.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3
That's why I love you, Brother...making a difference. Thanks for sharing, that just made my day as well, Tır.
I'm learning from the best Tom! You and all the rest of the Asylum dwellers have helped me more than you'll ever know. And the only way for me to ever repay that is to do the same for someone else.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
ahc4353

Very nice Tyr.

Just reading the this brightened my day. Thank you.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Nice Job Tyr and great story, every once in awhile there is some good out there. Being cynical and jaded myself most of the time (line of work) it does feel good to change someone's outlook for the good every now and then
Old 05-08-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Wow. Powerful stuff there Tyr!

Thanks for sharing it.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:47 AM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

AWESOME...thanks for sharing Tyr!!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Damn dust in my eye...

Old 05-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Thats what its all about. You helped her and she will in turn do if for someone else. Next thing you know we are all helping each other. Thanks for starting the chain.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

What a great Post Tyr. I always enjoy reading/hearing stories like that.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #11
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

That just made my day & I'm not even there....

It is amazing how seemingly small acts, can change someones day/week/year/life...

I raise my home-brewed to you Tır
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #12
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

Very cool Tyr. It's amazing how far a good attitude will go not only for yourself but the way it affects others around you. Props to you brother
cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #13
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Thanks for sharing what it's all about, Tyr. This place, Club Stogie before it, taught me what PIF was all about. And I was surprised to learn it had very little to do with cigars.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

VR

Yes! Thanks Vin, I neglected to mention the Club Stogie family. Club Stogie is where it all began for me but I couldn't be happier that we morphed and grew into Cigar Asylum.

Oh and thank you as well Vin for sharing your turn with me in the MAW/PIF. You exemplify kindness and generosity brother
Old 05-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #15
3SmokesaRound
CCCC

First Name: Bill
Trading: (48)
RA
3SmokesaRound will become famous soon enough3SmokesaRound will become famous soon enough

Great story indeed! Thanks for sharing
3SmokesaRound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #16
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

You smoothed a bump in her road when she most needed it, Tyr. Well done.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #17
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Great story and an awesome gesture, Tyr.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #18
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Tyr, Thanks for sharing such a wonderful and heartwarming story. It really goes to show how we can spread the spirit from this wonderful place.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #19
mariogolbee

And now her tears are shared. Thanks for sharing this story along with a little piece of yourself.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #20
racerX
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: john
Trading: (0)
racerX is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the eye opener.
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote