Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #961
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Being a Hockey Parent

Awesome photos!!!
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #962
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Awesome photos!!!

Right on, those were some good ones!

My kids teams' best player, and coaches son broke his kneecap last week, he's done for the year. He was also supposed to be immobile until his surgery so the coach had to stay home last weekend while the team played in Pittsburgh. So the assistant took over and asked me and another dad to work the bench with him.

It was the best time I've EVER had at one of my kids games. Talking to the boys during the game, giving advice, yelling at the refs and actually getting a response!

I'm not sure if I'll get to help again, that situation was pretty unique, but man I'll never forget it.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #963
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post

My kids teams' best player, and coaches son broke his kneecap last week, he's done for the year. He was also supposed to be immobile until his surgery so the coach had to stay home last weekend while the team played in Pittsburgh. So the assistant took over and asked me and another dad to work the bench with him.

It was the best time I've EVER had at one of my kids games. Talking to the boys during the game, giving advice, yelling at the refs and actually getting a response!

I'm not sure if I'll get to help again, that situation was pretty unique, but man I'll never forget it.
EXCELLENT! That sounded fun, just reading it....
Old 01-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #964
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

So the Little One's game was a little more physical than a parent or coach would like today.... I mentioned to the ref a few times that he needed to get control of the game and start using his whistle a bit, with absolutely zero results.... I mentioned to our kids, play a clean game. Play the puck not the body ect....

Anyway, close to the end, she got knocked off the puck in what looked to be an almost unintentional check from a kid that just had a hard time stopping himself as he ran into her. He actually got the worst of it by far..... But it set her off..... She got up, skated in a small circle, lined a kid up who now had the puck and was bringing it through the neutral zone. She put on the burners, from about 30' away with a great angle & CRUSHED the kid. Just annihilated him. It was as good of open ice check as I have seen in a bit.....but totally illegal in the fact that it is Mites(no checking) and totally uncalled for.

I screamed out her name and then told the ref, BLOW THE WHISTLE....CALL THAT! Which he didn't.... I could hear parents in the stands yelling....it was crazy.... I pulled her and skated out and talked with the ref AGAIN, saying that he had let the game get out of control and someone was going to get hurt. He looked me right in the eye and said "I know." WTF??? I made it clear that we were as much at fault as the other team, but that he needs to blow his whistle.....UGH! I really don't know what else I could have done....the whole game....

I felt bad, the Little One started crying and told me that it wasn't fair, she was getting checked and then gets in trouble....bla..bla...bla... Stuff like that is tough for a coach....

All that said.....and now that the game is done and nobody was hurt.... WOW, WHAT A HIT.....
Old 01-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #965
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Oh....and conservative estimate, she had 8-10 goals...
Old 02-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #966
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Nothing wrong with some body contact. Its hockey after all. Cant say much my kids the toll collector on the boards for his team. Everyone pays. He loves rubbing kids out and is already a student of the hip check. Hes familiar with the sin bin. Usually the refs warn him a few times then he gets the hook.

My gripe is that the powers on high have now deemed no full ice for mites. Thankfully his inhouse program still does 1/2 full ice games and 1/2 Xice. Next year though I will have to move him up a year early so he will play full ice in inhouse. Nor Cal Hockey which oversees doesnt really sanction mite travel teams has now decide that mite club kids cant play any full ice games. So they arent acknowledging our existence really, but wont let us play full ice games unless its a tournament. We are left playing 1/2 or 3/4 games with no offsides or icing and the kids are confused.

Look I understand xice is supposed to give more kids touches, but if you ever watch you will see the good kids still end up with the puck all the time. Kids that arent good just end up as cones to skate arond. The worse thing is now you will have kids who are squirts who have played up to 4 years of xice now being thrown on a full sheet of ice and introduced to offsides, icing, in game line changes etc. NC hockey has also basically banned kids playing up in travel so he will have to play inhouse squirts next year and travel mite. Then the travel teams are likely going to have to sneak around to do full ice games occasionally.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #967
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Quote:

Missed this. Hell yeah that sounds like fun.

How did the kid break his knee. Im always trying to explain to my kid to stop screwing around with soccer at school. I keep telling him if he gets hurt hes hurting himself and his team and was5ing mom and dads money. He actually got a one month ban from soccer at recess a while back. Apparently he thought it was hockey.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #968
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Not my pics. Taken by a parent with a good camera.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #969
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Not my pics. Taken by a parent with a good camera.

****, can't see them at work...I will check 'em out tonight after work.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #970
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Nice shots!

Are 1 & 2 a sequence, looks like he crossed that tall kid(girl?) and she/he lost an edge and went sliding away harmlessly…..

The boy starts HS playoffs tomorrow night. First game is single elimination, the winners go to a double elimination bracket…. For some reason I’m anxious as hell…. The team they are playing, they crushed early in the season, but seem to be on a bit of a run as of late. Hate to catch a hot team this time of year.

Then, we are traveling to a tournament in Idaho this weekend, outdoor rink…. Should be interesting. Supposed to be a fun time for the kids.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #971
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Not sure. The guy said yeah, but boards are not matching. I dont know if he moved while taking photos. He dangled that girl? A bunch. She was 9 from what we heard.

They got stomped by his team from last year. He scored the only goal skating through the team looked like he did a pull through in the process
Old 02-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #972
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Missed this. Hell yeah that sounds like fun.

How did the kid break his knee. Im always trying to explain to my kid to stop screwing around with soccer at school. I keep telling him if he gets hurt hes hurting himself and his team and was5ing mom and dads money. He actually got a one month ban from soccer at recess a while back. Apparently he thought it was hockey.

Turns out it was a torn ligament. They thought at first there was a bone chip or spur by the knee cap, but further xrays showed it was the ligament. He had surgery last week and it went well, but he is off the ice for quite a while

He took a hit mid-ice and just twisted with the upper body hit, his legs stayed right where they were, I think that's where the tear occured. He went down on his knee right after that, and favored it while trying to get back up, that's why everyone thought it was the knee..

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #973
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Quote:

Then, we are traveling to a tournament in Idaho this weekend, outdoor rink…. Should be interesting. Supposed to be a fun time for the kids.
That sounds sick. We are going to lake tahoe this weekend to play a team for a couple of games and do a little team building. I am bringing my skates and hoping for an outdoor rink. I would love to skate with the boy outside.

Quote:
Turns out it was a torn ligament. They thought at first there was a bone chip or spur by the knee cap, but further xrays showed it was the ligament. He had surgery last week and it went well, but he is off the ice for quite a while

He took a hit mid-ice and just twisted with the upper body hit, his legs stayed right where they were, I think that's where the tear occured. He went down on his knee right after that, and favored it while trying to get back up, that's why everyone thought it was the knee..
Thats horrible. PCL? I messed mine up playing one time. Buddy took me out on accident. Thankfully didnt need surgery.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #974
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
The boy starts HS playoffs tomorrow night. First game is single elimination, the winners go to a double elimination bracket…. For some reason I’m anxious as hell…. The team they are playing, they crushed early in the season, but seem to be on a bit of a run as of late. Hate to catch a hot team this time of year.
Easy win..... Well, 7-4, but it wasn't that close. The boy didn't have his best game and was pretty frustrated after.

8 Teams left and I think there are 2 frontrunners(not us) and 3 other teams with an outside shot(we're in there)......

We're going to have to have FAR BETTER play between the pipes, than we had last night, to get to the Final 4. We play the team that I posted about on Jan. 10th. Beat them 9-3 a month ago(they are better than that) and I am worried as could be... Couldn't stop a beach ball last night....
Old 02-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #975
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Had a great time in Salmon, Idaho this past weekend.

These guys were hanging out at the rink.....

Speaking of the rink.....

Old 02-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #976
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

They had a skills competition at noon yesterday for the 5 teams. The LM entered the hardest shot and sniper competitions. He was competitive in the hardest shot, though didn't win(73MPH)....another kid on our team did win it with 76MPH.

He did win the sniper competition. Hit 4 or 5 in the prelim(missed center) and then 4-5 in the final to win it(missed top right). He was pretty stoked.... He had some teammates there for support.

Hanging out with some of the other kids during the skills thing. He also was a shooter in the goalie competition. Which he may have thought was the most fun of it all....

Old 02-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #977
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Bad ass photos. Would love for M to experience something like that.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #978
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Good guys win! We were the lower seed, 4 vs 5 game, and move on with a 7-4 win. Play the #1 next week....

Old 02-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #979
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Nice. Congrats

Lol just noticed all the iced out cages on the travel kids.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #980
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Into the meat grinder tonight.... Playing the undefeated #1 seed. They have outscored their opponents this year, 130 to 13....

If we can get good play between the pipes and the lower end 2nd-3rd line players step up, we'll be right there. But that is asking a lot....

All that said, there is a reason they actually play the games, no game was won or lost on paper..... GO SPARTANS!!!!