Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 09:59 PM   #1001
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse
 
fxpose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 337
Trading: (0)
fxpose is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Mike, them ribs look good. Foil or no foil? Looks like you pretty much got it dialed in with your OTG.
Oh, and I heard you polished off the entire slab all by yourself...
fxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #1002
ucla695
Neither here, nor there
 
ucla695's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Pool
Posts: 3,696
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpose View Post
Mike, them ribs look good. Foil or no foil? Looks like you pretty much got it dialed in with your OTG.
Oh, and I heard you polished off the entire slab all by yourself...
Thanks. Yeah, I used foil and I did polish it off.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:26 AM   #1003
T.G
Colonel Dingleberry
 
T.G's Avatar
13
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
First Name: The Other Adam
Posts: 14,543
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Wes, those flanken ribs look killer, I need to find a butcher out here that will cut them like that (leaving more of the meat attached - they carve them pretty thin across the face out here ).


Keith, great looking meatfest!


Mike, great looking Q. Looks like you're getting the hang of the firebricks pretty quickly.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:27 AM   #1004
Hot Stuff x
FNG
 
Hot Stuff x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
First Name: Les
Location: Seoul, Korea
Posts: 89
Trading: (4)
Cohiba Army (Retired)
Hot Stuff x is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Regarding Flanken Style ribs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
That's the stuff Piggly Wiggly keeps on putting in the reduced rack, but for some reason they cut them in 3/8s inch slices
and for some reason they are high priced even reduced, (for what they are). But maybe they'd sell better if they would
stop freaking slicing them.

Do you have Koreans in your area? These ribs sliced at 3/8" are what the Koreans use for L.A. Galbi, a very popular (among Koreans) dish. The ribs are marinated in a sweet soy marinade then grilled over hot coals. Served with rice and Korean side dishes. Delicious!

Hot Stuff x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #1005
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....
 
Mr B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,233
Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Very nice lookin' Ribs...all of you guys.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #1006
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse
 
fxpose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 337
Trading: (0)
fxpose is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Yeah, those sliced beef ribs are perfect on a hibachi. The only way to do them. They just don't look right grilling them over a Weber, for instance...

I get them at my local Asian market for 3.99/lb and they usually slice them to about 1/4" thickness.
fxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:21 AM   #1007
OLS
Suck It
 
OLS's Avatar
2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Brad
Location: TN
Posts: 7,908
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

There's a lot of every nationality here...but I have to agree that these things on the
grill are fantastic. I have just shied away cause of the price. And by the time
they are reduced, I am not too happy with the color of em, lol. Also I think they
need to change the blade on the band saw as they can be a little gritty in the bone
department. No one likes that. I tell you, if I find a few packs today I will get em.

OK, headed up to the mountains again next week, so this weekend is mondo rib smoke
weekend. Gonna do 4 racks to cool and freeze. Then gonna thaw them and flash heat em
on the grill before serving. Last weekend I did a small butt and pulled it to really nice
effect and froze that. Usually I slice a butt, but decided to pull instead. My pic is at home
in the cam, so flay away on me. So one day next week in the Smokies I will be having
reconstituted BBQ.
__________________
Get a look inside the best lil Juke Jernt in Memphis at
https://www.facebook.com/meetmeinmemphis1
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:29 AM   #1008
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...
 
BigAsh's Avatar
5
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Keith
Location: Yardley, PA
Posts: 3,781
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post

OK, headed up to the mountains again next week, so this weekend is mondo rib smoke
weekend. Gonna do 4 racks to cool and freeze. Then gonna thaw them and flash heat em
on the grill before serving. Last weekend I did a small butt and pulled it to really nice
effect and froze that. Usually I slice a butt, but decided to pull instead. My pic is at home
in the cam, so flay away on me. So one day next week in the Smokies I will be having
reconstituted BBQ.
Brad....have you spoken to NASA about that??
__________________
Keith
BigAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:44 AM   #1009
cricky101
Micro brew tester
 
cricky101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Chris
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 684
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

If I can get a day to myself, I'm hopefully going to try my first pork butt (or 2) this weekend.

I think I've smoked about everything else (chicken, ribs, brisket, chuck roast, etc ...), but for some reason haven't tried a pork butt yet ...
__________________
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire
cricky101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #1010
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....
 
Mr B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,233
Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

I got plans for smokin' 3 slabs o Ribs and BBQ Beans on Sat.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #1011
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse
 
fxpose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 337
Trading: (0)
fxpose is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

I've got plans for smoking 2 racks of beef back ribs and a rack of spareribs in my WFO on Sat...
fxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:56 PM   #1012
T.G
Colonel Dingleberry
 
T.G's Avatar
13
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
First Name: The Other Adam
Posts: 14,543
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Fired up the POSECCB smoker and just put a bunch of various peppers on about an hour or so ago.



Fresnos, habeneros, some form of Thai peppers, cayennes, a couple of jalapenos, an Anaheim and some sweet peppers that I ended up growing by accident because the seeds got mixed up.

Oh, and an egg.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #1013
T.G
Colonel Dingleberry
 
T.G's Avatar
13
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
First Name: The Other Adam
Posts: 14,543
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

****.

Temps went too high.

Anyone want a good deal on some slightly burnt chipotles?
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:05 AM   #1014
ucla695
Neither here, nor there
 
ucla695's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Pool
Posts: 3,696
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
****.

Temps went too high.

Anyone want a good deal on some slightly burnt chipotles?
That's a great idea. Too bad they didn't turn out.

What type of wood did you use? What temp and for how long are you supposed to smoke them?
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:30 AM   #1015
bigdix
Cigarmurai
 
bigdix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
First Name: Dan
Location: Oki
Posts: 669
Trading: (1)
Trinidad AirForce (Active)
bigdix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Beginning tomorrow, the annual pig roast. That'd be one whole hog, stuffed with whole chickens and vegetable. Plus a couple of briskets to eat while we're waiting on the pig. Some good friends, good scotch, and a herf-worthy collection of cigars to smoke...got about 24 hours to kill so why the hell not, right? Besides, my new Palio got here so I have to try it out on a few cigars, eh? The Cigar-murai Social Club strikes again here in Okinawa, Japan!!
__________________
There's no secret handshake. There's an IQ prerequisite, but there's no secret handshake.
bigdix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:31 AM   #1016
OLS
Suck It
 
OLS's Avatar
2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Brad
Location: TN
Posts: 7,908
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

I think I will also do some beans, Mr. B. After seeing the type of success you guys are
having with placing the beans under the meat, I figured I'd do that as well. Anything that
makes my ribs go a little farther amongst the ravenous 12 or so relatives that will be snackin
on them bones.
__________________
Get a look inside the best lil Juke Jernt in Memphis at
https://www.facebook.com/meetmeinmemphis1
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:37 AM   #1017
OLS
Suck It
 
OLS's Avatar
2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Brad
Location: TN
Posts: 7,908
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
****.

Temps went too high.

Anyone want a good deal on some slightly burnt chipotles?
I thought you WANTED to burn off the skin on those things?
__________________
Get a look inside the best lil Juke Jernt in Memphis at
https://www.facebook.com/meetmeinmemphis1
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:52 AM   #1018
wayner123
Country Gentleman
 
wayner123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Deltona, FL
Posts: 2,351
Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I think I will also do some beans, Mr. B. After seeing the type of success you guys are
having with placing the beans under the meat, I figured I'd do that as well. Anything that
makes my ribs go a little farther amongst the ravenous 12 or so relatives that will be snackin
on them bones.
You should smoke a butt and use the meat to make the hog apple beans. Once you have those beans, you will judge all others by them. Thanks again Brent for ruining me
__________________
'It is an honor for a man to keep aloof from strife; But every fool will be quarrelling.'
wayner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:24 AM   #1019
T.G
Colonel Dingleberry
 
T.G's Avatar
13
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
First Name: The Other Adam
Posts: 14,543
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
That's a great idea. Too bad they didn't turn out.

What type of wood did you use? What temp and for how long are you supposed to smoke them?
I'm thinking that it was the wind that fed more air into the vertical smoker that caused the temps to run away. Normally that old POS is actually good for this kind of work because it runs very cold (normally) and the access door makes adding wood easy.

Anyway, not a big deal, just a tad disappointing, but there will be plenty more peppers this season. Plus, I still have some smoked peppers left from last year.

Jalapenos are traditionally smoked over pecan wood to form chipotles. I've been using plum for the last few years because I have a lot of it and it has a very unique bite. Almond would be fine, oak might work, cherry would probably be fine too. For various reasons, I would avoid hickory, mesquite & apple. Citrus wood would go unnoticed.

Since temperatures and times are dependant on the peppers, I think it's better to just explain the idea than give any definite numbers.

Start with ripe (red) peppers. Yeah, those fresnos weren't quite red, but close enough, also, fresno peppers are some of the few peppers that still taste good when you use green ones - them and certain varieties of thai peppers. Tear the stems off, try not to tear open the flesh of the pepper.

What you need to do from there is simply dehydrate the pepper with smoke. It's ok to make smoke for the whole cook, it's not going to hurt the peppers so long as they aren't dripping with tar and creosote. You also want to keep temps as low as you can to avoid burning (only use a few coals and just just keep adding a few freshly lit coals and smoke wood as necessary), below 200 if possible.

Large, thick, fleshy, watery peppers will take longer than smaller, thin peppers (DUH), and you just need to watch them until they are leathery/dry. I think the winds did me in on this cook, so instead of leathery & slightly pliable, I few right past that at the end and went to burnt cracker.

To give you a ballpark on times, habeneros cook quickly - maybe an hour or so. Thai will cook quickly also if they are in a perforated basket, if they are on foil, they'll take longer. Fresnos, 4-5 hours depending on temps. Big thick watery jalapenos, longer. Opening the lid every 30 minutes to peek and every 10 once you get close isn't any big deal, it's not like a hunk of meat where doing that can mess up your cook.

Oh, BTW, can't use most supermarket peppers because they are usually coated with food grade wax.

---

Oh, and you have to smoke an egg while doing it - it's a tradition...

Take a raw egg, use one of those thingies that punches a hole in the end of the shell where the airsack is or just use a thumbtack/pushpin, then put it on the grate. After about 1.5 hours, it'll look all brown and coated, pull it off, let it cool, crack it open and treat like any other hard boiled egg.

Last edited by T.G; 07-29-2010 at 08:32 AM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:39 AM   #1020
ucla695
Neither here, nor there
 
ucla695's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Pool
Posts: 3,696
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I'm thinking that it was the wind that fed more air into the vertical smoker that caused the temps to run away. Normally that old POS is actually good for this kind of work because it runs very cold (normally) and the access door makes adding wood easy.

Anyway, not a big deal, just a tad disappointing, but there will be plenty more peppers this season. Plus, I still have some smoked peppers left from last year.

Jalapenos are traditionally smoked over pecan wood to form chipotles. I've been using plum for the last few years because I have a lot of it and it has a very unique bite. Almond would be fine, oak might work, cherry would probably be fine too. For various reasons, I would avoid hickory, mesquite & apple. Citrus wood would go unnoticed.

Since temperatures and times are dependant on the peppers, I think it's better to just explain the idea than give any definite numbers.

Start with ripe (red) peppers. Yeah, those fresnos weren't quite red, but close enough, also, fresno peppers are some of the few peppers that still taste good when you use green ones - them and certain varieties of thai peppers. Tear the stems off, try not to tear open the flesh of the pepper.

What you need to do from there is simply dehydrate the pepper with smoke. It's ok to make smoke for the whole cook, it's not going to hurt the peppers so long as they aren't dripping with tar and creosote. You also want to keep temps as low as you can to avoid burning (only use a few coals and just just keep adding a few freshly lit coals and smoke wood as necessary), below 200 if possible.

Large, thick, fleshy, watery peppers will take longer than smaller, thin peppers (DUH), and you just need to watch them until they are leathery/dry. I think the winds did me in on this cook, so instead of leathery & slightly pliable, I few right past that at the end and went to burnt cracker.

To give you a ballpark on times, habeneros cook quickly - maybe an hour or so. Thai will cook quickly also if they are in a perforated basket, if they are on foil, they'll take longer. Fresnos, 4-5 hours depending on temps. Big thick watery jalapenos, longer. Opening the lid every 30 minutes to peek and every 10 once you get close isn't any big deal, it's not like a hunk of meat where doing that can mess up your cook.

Oh, BTW, can't use most supermarket peppers because they are usually coated with food grade wax.

---

Oh, and you have to smoke an egg while doing it - it's a tradition...

Take a raw egg, use one of those thingies that punches a hole in the end of the shell where the airsack is or just use a thumbtack/pushpin, then put it on the grate. After about 1.5 hours, it'll look all brown and coated, pull it off, let it cool, crack it open and treat like any other hard boiled egg.
Thanks for taking time to explain it!

I'm a big fan of chile peppers and am all over this! And, I can't mess with tradition so I'll do the egg too! I'm waiting for Hatch Chile season down here in SoCal.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content is copyrighted jointly by Cigar Asylum and the content provider.