Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
muhren
The Cigar Artist

First Name: Mike
Trading: (43)
Punch
muhren has a spectacular aura aboutmuhren has a spectacular aura about
Default Who are the taste experts?

I'm new to the boards (see intro thread) and in order to get adjusted quickly, I'm curious who the 'in-the-know' guys are around here when it comes to reviews.

i.e. who are the vets who post a favorable review and you say to yourself, "Well, XXX said it's good, it must be good!"

I wanna know who's reviews I should be paying the most attention to. I'll read them all, I just figured you guys who know better than me!

Feel free to rattle of a list of names rather than narrow it down to one.

Thanks,

M
muhren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation
Default Re: Who are the taste experts?

I would advise against that. Taste is completely subjective. What they like, you may not and what they don't like, you may.

If you do decide to do it that way, read through the reviews of cigars you have tried and see if the reviewer thought the same as you then, search for more of their reviews. I know alot of people like the read reviews before they have a cigar and there is nothing wrong with that, I just think they are pointless for me as I like to make up my own mind without any influence.

I know I am in the minority with this opinion.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
I would advise against that. Taste is completely subjective. What they like, you may not and what they don't like, you may.

If you do decide to do it that way, read through the reviews of cigars you have tried and see if the reviewer thought the same as you then, search for more of their reviews. I know alot of people like the read reviews before they have a cigar and there is nothing wrong with that, I just think they are pointless for me as I like to make up my own mind without any influence.

Count me in the above minority
Old 09-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
Garbandz
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (53)
Garbandz will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum.You will figure it out,everyone has his own palate and favorite brands.Some folks like certain flavors,certain aromas.Ultimately you need to try a cigar for yourself,but you can get a good idea about a smoke if there is a good review.
More members should attempt to offer reviews,it adds to the database and can help you to learn what to look for in a cigar, and how to analyze your taste profile.It can also save you from disappointment by steering you away from something you will not like....
Garbandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
ahc4353

I like the help as far as getting in the general area of what profile I like. But each cigar has to be smoked by you to tell if YOU like it. Makes no difference if I like it and you don't.

It's a fun process, enjoy.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
SilverFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatan View Post
+1

I like to read reviews, and even enjoy writing the odd one, but it is just an opinion, and the only one that knows your opinion is you.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

Don't read any reviews posted by Skywalker....he is totally clueless.....

I believe my reviews are the best!!! I don't think I have one though hehe

Seriously though you need to find someone with tastes similar to yours. Just because "the top reviewer" says a certain cigar is good doesn't mean you will like it.

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
I like the help as far as getting in the general area of what profile I like. But each cigar has to be smoked by you to tell if YOU like it. Makes no difference if I like it and you don't.

It's a fun process, enjoy.
Well said!!
Old 09-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbandz View Post
.It can also save you from disappointment by steering you away from something you will not like....
But that's the thing, Tom. How can you say you will not like it if you don't try it? Based on what somebody else tastes? That's just not logical.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

I wouldn't go out and buy a box on anyone's say-so, because as has been pointed out, taste is subjective. I would however grab a 5er to try and decide for myself.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:05 AM   #11
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatan View Post
+1 for me. Learn from as many people as you can despite their time on the forum.
Scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #12
JJG
Have My Own Room

Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

There's one guy who does a ton of video reviews. I think his name is Kaelaria or something like that. He's really good at describing the cigars he reviews and he probably posts at least 1 video a week. check the review section.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #13
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

I like reviews for a few reasons.

The style of writing, the cigar is unknown to me (or hard to find, very rare, extremely old, etc), past reviews by this person have matched closely with my experience.

IMHO the best use for a review is to calibrate the reviewers taste buds with yours. Kinda like when you hear someone say "Celebrity X is so freakin' hot !!!" and you think to yourself, "eh, they're not that hot, they're just average" and you then calibrate that person's opinion with your own. Next time they say something like that about someone you've never seen you've got a better feel for what they mean. (did that to my buddy the other day - he said "So-and-so is so hot!!!" and I gave him a funny look and said "Calibrating. Calibrating." )

However, even if I buy a cigar based on a glowing review I still go in with the knowledge that I may not like the cigar at all.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #14
itsme_timd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tim
Trading: (3)
ERdM
itsme_timd will become famous soon enough

I agree with what most others have said.

IMO, over time, you learn who you share similar likes and dislikes with and that can help you decide which cigars to try. I've got a friend here that if he tells me he likes something, I'll try it. But one of his all time favorite smokes is one I don't care for.

At least you'll have fun figuring it out!
itsme_timd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #15
muhren
The Cigar Artist

First Name: Mike
Trading: (43)
Punch
muhren has a spectacular aura aboutmuhren has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
There's one guy who does a ton of video reviews. I think his name is Kaelaria or something like that. He's really good at describing the cigars he reviews and he probably posts at least 1 video a week. check the review section.
I guess this is the kinda thing I was looking for...who does the best reviews...ones you can read/see and say, now THAT sounds like something I wanna try.

M
muhren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #16
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Reviews are too subjective to count on as being the "gospel" on a certain cigar. While I respect many of the reviewers that post here, I would only use their reviews as a guide, not a definitive.

We have a saying here."Like what you smoke, smoke what you like."

What i find to be a good cigar, you might find it to be crap, and vice versa.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:38 AM   #17
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

I'm an expert. I know exactly what I like. Don't know how anyone else feels about my reviews, though.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #18
JJG
Have My Own Room

Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

I agree with those who say they're best for entertainment value. I really enjoy reading and seeing pictures of rare and vintage smokes getting torched. The video reviews are fun to watch as well.

but taste being so subjective, I don't really base my decision to smoke something off of a review. I know many times I'm listening to someone describe a cigar I've tried and it sounds like they're talking about a completely different smoke than the one I had.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #19
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post

This post is almost exactly what I would have posted. It sums up everything very well.

As a sort of aside, most of you say that you go off of what you like, but yet I see a number of posts elsewhere telling people that such and such cigar "needs more time", "it will be better in a few months", etc. And also asking questions like "how are such and such smoking right now". How does that fit into the whole equation of taste is subjective?
Old 09-18-2009, 11:11 AM   #20
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Too many variables involved. I would say tobacco fields and curring barns are not as controlable as lets say a Hershey factory. (my candy bar will most likely be exactly the same as yours... but cigars will vary within the same box, possibly)
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote