Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #21
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Nica Libre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
You can get an actual Padron for about 2.50 a piece.
Comparable in size to the Padron Delicias, the Nica Libre Principe sales for $2 ($50 for 25), while the Delicias goes for $2.70 ($70 for 26). But for me the NL has a bit less strength, which is preferable, and I'd probably go with it 2 out of 3 times. Am I crazy?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #22
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:

Anni?

Old 03-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #23
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post

Anni?

I'm with Mr. Blueface. Where are you shoping at? The cheapest 64 I can find is the 64 Principie @ $10.50 (before the taxes hit) a pop. I can pick up the NL's for ~$2.00 a pop on cbid. I don't think any are trying to say the NL is a one for one replacement, but close enough to the 64's for me. With a $8.50 difference in price, I'll smoke the NLs. I have had many of the x000 smokes and none to this point have appealed to me.

I find the NL to match a lot of the Padron creamy/chocolaty range (as in not spicey at all) and as other have noted pretty much one demensional. But then I also find the Padron 64 to be one demensional as well. Just is what is from start to finish. I would love to smoke an "aged" NL just to see what qualities change over time.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #24
OHRD

Not the 64's, just the regular line at $2.70 a pop: here

Even though the difference is only $.70 a pop, I'd still go w/ NL and bag the savings...
Old 03-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #25
Made in Dade
The Freedom Tower

Trading: (0)
Made in Dade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have not tried them although I have been intrigued since so many said they were Padron knockoffs.

Unfortunately, I got to hang out with a BOTL recently, that other than my dad and myself, he is probably the luniest Padron Anni fan I know. He told me while they are OK smokes, they are not Padron.

After listening to that, and knowing his knowledge of Padrons and experience with them, I can't help but think if I do try these, my mind has now been tainted.
What do you mean unfortunately.
It is a nice cigar, especially for the money. But it is far from a Padron
Old 03-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #26
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Dade View Post
What do you mean unfortunately.
It is a nice cigar, especially for the money. But it is far from a Padron

Perhaps not written right.

I meant you ruined it for me.

Will definitely try it.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #27
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Looks like I too will soon know what they taste like.
Ordered a 10 pack (5 sizes, 2 of each) that's on special on CI for $19.99.

I consider myself a Padron Anni whore from day one in '94. Can't wait to try these and compare. I will be open minded. I will remind myself I paid $2 each. I will remind myself to play nice in sand boxes.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #28
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

I'll be waiting to hear what your thoughts are. I think you'll be happy if you don't expect a Padron, but a cigar with some of the same characteristics.

Quote:

I consider myself a Padron Anni whore from day one in '94. Can't wait to try these and compare. I will be open minded. I will remind myself I paid $2 each. I will remind myself to play nice in sand boxes.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #29
OHRD

Quote:

Great stuff Blueface; make sure to post your thoughts!
Old 03-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #30
leasingthisspace

If you don't like them Blueface let me know I will buy them off you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #31
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

I think with all the folks that have chimed in on these cigars and with folks I know well that are Padron Anni fanatics like Mikey (Made in Dade), I think I will in fact enjoy these very much and truly look forward to them.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #32
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

I believe these are blended by AJ Fernandez, and for that reason alone I would try them. If you include free shipping and 2 bucks a stick it's probably a win.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #33
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Got my two sampler packs earlier this week and lit up the Exclusivo version with my dad last night.

I figured I would post here and save another thread.

Folks, I SWEAR I went into this with an open mind.
I SWEAR my dad did also.

I got two 5 five packs for $19.99 plus $5.00 shipping.
At $2 a cigar, was it a great deal? Heck yeah. No doubt about it.

Upon looking at the stick, it is very, very similar to a Padron Anniversary.
It has a dark, oily wrapper very similar to that of a Maduro Anniversary.
It has a band that is so, so similar to that of a Padron Anniversary.
It is box pressed just like a Padron Anniversary.

That my friends is where the similarities end. Before lighting this cigar, I inspected all five. Something I got from my dad. I took each cigar and felt for firmness/construction. Two of them have voids in the middle of the cigar that will clearly present burn issues. Shame that one of the is the large Diplomatico version. The five I gave my dad had no voids at all in the cigar. They were all fine.

Upon initial light, nothing like an Anniversary. It left a bitter after taste that both my dad and I picked up immediately.
After a few drags, the after taste was not only still evident but I could sense the taste by the smell of the tobacco also.
It was quite peppery, more so than a Padron Anniversary. The Padron starts out peppery but after a few drags, quickly tones down. This pup didn't.

Burn wise, this was a very good cigar. Burned quite similar to that of an Anniversary. It stayed lit the entire time.

While the flavors did evolve ever so slightly as I went along, it frankly wasn't very much. It pretty much gave me two thirds of the way in the very same I got from the start. About two thirds of the way through it, I developed an unusual throat itch and cough and put the cigar out.

Both dad and I agree that at $2 a stick, one can't help but shut up, light it up and smoke away. Not much you can get that is made in the manner that cigar is for that price. You can clearly see it is a quality cigar. HOWEVER, to say this is a good replacement for a Padron Anniversary is purely one's opinion that neither I nor my dad can agree with. This is not an Anniversary nor is it remotely close. While you do get a bit of resemblance from the cigar to an Anniversary, that resemblance is certainly far from the real thing and comes purely from the box press, the label and the shade of the wrapper. The flavor similarity, while I must confess there is a twang of resemblance, frankly, it is quite minimal.

Bottom line for me, while this cigar can save me a considerable amount of money as compared to a Padron Anniversary, so can a Toyota Yaris in lieu of my BMW convertible. I rather have the ultimate driving machine for those moments I consider special, which is every time I light a cigar, which is a moment I always try to smoke the one I would enjoy the most, then move down the line. Unfortunately for me, that means I can never, ever have a single Padron Anniversary in my humidor. At this moment, that holds true.

Do I regret buying them? I never regret trying any new cigar, specially at the price I got them.
Would I buy them again? Jury is still out. I will reserve that decision for after I have had a chance to smoke the remaining four, which I promise I will. Dad feels the same.

Respectfully submitted by a Padron Anni whore and his yet greater Padron Anni whore dad.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #34
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

Padron whore myself. Thanks for saving my money!
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #35
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice review Blueface!! And with an open mind.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #36
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiE View Post
Padron whore myself. Thanks for saving my money!
Erick,
I would try them if you are a Padron Anny whore too.
They are worth trying and your taste may differ significantly to mine.
They are a fantastic value.
Just can't expect them be a replacement for the real thing.
I plan on smoking all five as they may be different based on vitola.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #37
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Got my two sampler packs earlier this week and lit up the Exclusivo version with my dad last night.

I figured I would post here and save another thread.

Folks, I SWEAR I went into this with an open mind.
I SWEAR my dad did also.

I got two 5 five packs for $19.99 plus $5.00 shipping.
At $2 a cigar, was it a great deal? Heck yeah. No doubt about it.

Upon looking at the stick, it is very, very similar to a Padron Anniversary.
It has a dark, oily wrapper very similar to that of a Maduro Anniversary.
It has a band that is so, so similar to that of a Padron Anniversary.
It is box pressed just like a Padron Anniversary.

That my friends is where the similarities end. Before lighting this cigar, I inspected all five. Something I got from my dad. I took each cigar and felt for firmness/construction. Two of them have voids in the middle of the cigar that will clearly present burn issues. Shame that one of the is the large Diplomatico version. The five I gave my dad had no voids at all in the cigar. They were all fine.

Upon initial light, nothing like an Anniversary. It left a bitter after taste that both my dad and I picked up immediately.
After a few drags, the after taste was not only still evident but I could sense the taste by the smell of the tobacco also.
It was quite peppery, more so than a Padron Anniversary. The Padron starts out peppery but after a few drags, quickly tones down. This pup didn't.

Burn wise, this was a very good cigar. Burned quite similar to that of an Anniversary. It stayed lit the entire time.

While the flavors did evolve ever so slightly as I went along, it frankly wasn't very much. It pretty much gave me two thirds of the way in the very same I got from the start. About two thirds of the way through it, I developed an unusual throat itch and cough and put the cigar out.

Both dad and I agree that at $2 a stick, one can't help but shut up, light it up and smoke away. Not much you can get that is made in the manner that cigar is for that price. You can clearly see it is a quality cigar. HOWEVER, to say this is a good replacement for a Padron Anniversary is purely one's opinion that neither I nor my dad can agree with. This is not an Anniversary nor is it remotely close. While you do get a bit of resemblance from the cigar to an Anniversary, that resemblance is certainly far from the real thing and comes purely from the box press, the label and the shade of the wrapper. The flavor similarity, while I must confess there is a twang of resemblance, frankly, it is quite minimal.

Bottom line for me, while this cigar can save me a considerable amount of money as compared to a Padron Anniversary, so can a Toyota Yaris in lieu of my BMW convertible. I rather have the ultimate driving machine for those moments I consider special, which is every time I light a cigar, which is a moment I always try to smoke the one I would enjoy the most, then move down the line. Unfortunately for me, that means I can never, ever have a single Padron Anniversary in my humidor. At this moment, that holds true.

Do I regret buying them? I never regret trying any new cigar, specially at the price I got them.
Would I buy them again? Jury is still out. I will reserve that decision for after I have had a chance to smoke the remaining four, which I promise I will. Dad feels the same.

Respectfully submitted by a Padron Anni whore and his yet greater Padron Anni whore dad.
Pretty much sums up my experience with 'em. Thanks for the review.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #38
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Pretty much sums up my experience with 'em. Thanks for the review.
Mine also. After I originally posted this, I had gotten 15 of them. Quite frankly I think they are pretty bad and experienced the same aftertaste as mentioned. It is like going for a Coke and getting the Sams Club brand of soda.
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #39
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarr View Post
Mine also. After I originally posted this, I had gotten 15 of them. Quite frankly I think they are pretty bad and experienced the same aftertaste as mentioned. It is like going for a Coke and getting the Sams Club brand of soda.
More like going for an ice cold Coke and getting a very flat and hot Sam's Club brand.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #40
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

First Name: Colin
Trading: (1)
Partagas
colinb913 is on a distinguished road

These caught my attention in a cigars intl magazine. Now I just need to get money to spend in ******.. XD.

Or not.. They sound dirty after reading the rest of this thread.
colinb913 is offline   Reply With Quote