Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #21
Mark THS
Herfing at 115°

Trading: (0)
Partagas
Mark THS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Creating my Smoking Lounge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantbejon View Post
Gonna put in ventilation on the back wall. Still researching the right option. In my head, getting something as simple as a bathroom fan would work in a room this small. I should be able to just pipe that outside and be fine.
if you're in need of any ideas- see what me and my brother did: www.ryandeyer.com/cigarroom

The "Process" section has some nice tips on ducting/venting
Mark THS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #22
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark THS View Post
if you're in need of any ideas- see what me and my brother did: www.ryandeyer.com/cigarroom

Amazing room!!!!! I love the step by step, photos and pricing even great job man....Wish I had the means and know how.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #23
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Trading: (10)
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

Got the primer coat painted in the room. Now it's time for the exhaust fans. Any recommendations for quiet, powerful and reasonably priced fans is welcome!

Old 04-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #24
smitty81
Have My Own Room

smitty81 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Got the primer coat painted in the room. Now it's time for the exhaust fans. Any recommendations for quiet, powerful and reasonably priced fans is welcome!

you have a window in that room don't you?

I use a walmart box fan in the window and it works rather well. I can sit about 7' from the window and you can see the smoke float towards the window when its on.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #25
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I was looking into quiet bathroom fans for mine, just a thought.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #26
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
I was thinking about this since you brought it up on Saturday--where do you want to vent the fan? The problem with a lot of kitchen/bath fans is that they have exhaust tubing which needs to be run somewhere. You have two exterior walls (well, technically 3) so I'm not sure a bath exhaust will do the trick. Basically you'll be cutting a hole directly in an exterior wall. Bath fans usually don't have very good damper systems, so you'll be open to the elements year round.

I'm kinda stumped, maybe a craftier BOTL can offer up better advice.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #27
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
I was thinking about this since you brought it up on Saturday--where do you want to vent the fan? The problem with a lot of kitchen/bath fans is that they have exhaust tubing which needs to be run somewhere. You have two exterior walls (well, technically 3) so I'm not sure a bath exhaust will do the trick. Basically you'll be cutting a hole directly in an exterior wall. Bath fans usually don't have very good damper systems, so you'll be open to the elements year round.

I'm kinda stumped, maybe a craftier BOTL can offer up better advice.
What about a bathroom exhaust fan with dryer duct and damper?
Old 04-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #28
smitty81
Have My Own Room

smitty81 has disabled reputation

If you don't want to go the box fan rout, you can just put an exhaust fan in the wall that has metal shutters that open and close when you turn the fan on and off. There is a cover that you can put on the outside of the house over the shutters in the winter time.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #29
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
What about a bathroom exhaust fan with dryer duct and damper?
The problem is that I don't think Ferg has any room to run the ducting since he's on exterior walls. Could be wrong.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #30
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
The problem is that I don't think Ferg has any room to run the ducting since he's on exterior walls. Could be wrong.
To bad the portable wall mount scrubbers are so pricey.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #31
lilninjabuddy
Cigar Ninja

First Name: Derek
Trading: (2)
Montecristo
lilninjabuddy is on a distinguished road

I've been looking at these. What about an exterior-mounted fan?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #32
trendo
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Troy
Trading: (16)
trendo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gonna put in ventilation on the back wall. Still researching the right option. In my head, getting something as simple as a bathroom fan would work in a room this small. I should be able to just pipe that outside and be fine.
In my oppinon, bathroom fans dont pull the scfm needed. I looked into various ventilation forms for my own room, and ended up making a home made system. I hung a boxed gable fan from the rafters in my attic space, and plumbed it to the room. It pulls something like 1500 cfm, and cost me a total of 100 bucks. And because it is hanging from the rafters, it is virtually silent.
trendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #33
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the input everyone. I came to the same conclusion Troy...I was going to do a bathroom fan but I don't think it will pull enough. I want at least a 1000 cfm fan. I think I found a fan, or type of fan, that will work well.

These are wall mounted, from the inside, and have a cover. It's capacity is 1500 cfm and it seems like it will be relatively quiet. I found a few varieties of these and the only thing this is missing is a speed control. I might look for that. If any one is interested in more research on this fan, here it is: http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/hv...hutter-mounted
Old 04-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #34
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

Cohiba Army (Active)

Oh, and I currently have a window fan in as well for a short term fix. I only have the one window though, so I don't want to block it. Also, I am going to temp control this room so I don't want to leave a window open during middle of winter.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #35
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

I would go with a much higher cfm fan remote mounted as far away from smoking space as possible and run ducting to the room. That would make it easy to have multiple extraction ports for a more consistent air exchange and not dragging all the smoke past one persons head/face going to one common fan. This is how I will do mine.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #36
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Check out MarkTHS's brother's cigar room. http://www.ryandeyer.com/cigarroom He gives step by step pics and parts lists. He includes switch operated baffles for both the inbound and outbound air ducts AND for the internal HVAC ducts so smoke doesn't backdraft into other parts of the house. He also includes an in-duct heating coil for inbound fresh air that auto heats the air if it's under 70 degrees F.

He did all of it on a pretty reasonable budget.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #37
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about

I love seeing stuff like this! Can't wait to see the finished project! Keep us updated!
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #38
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

guess on my next trip to the US, I have to visit VA
Old 04-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #39
lilninjabuddy
Cigar Ninja

First Name: Derek
Trading: (2)
Montecristo
lilninjabuddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark THS View Post

Your room was the inspiration for my garage room! (Which is still a work in progress, and likely will be for some time!)

Amazing job!
Old 04-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #40
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

Cohiba Army (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Check out MarkTHS's brother's cigar room. http://www.ryandeyer.com/cigarroom He gives step by step pics and parts lists. He includes switch operated baffles for both the inbound and outbound air ducts AND for the internal HVAC ducts so smoke doesn't backdraft into other parts of the house. He also includes an in-duct heating coil for inbound fresh air that auto heats the air if it's under 70 degrees F.

He did all of it on a pretty reasonable budget.
Yeah, this room is pretty damn sweet but I'm not operating on this kind of budget. A 1500 cfm fan should be more than enough exhaust my 11 x 14 room.