Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
Kneo
The Second One

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (3)
Kneo will become famous soon enough
Default SageTv?

Does anyone or has anyone ever used SageTV? I am looking at getting the HD Theater and was wondering how people like it.

www.sagetv.com
Old 04-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
a2vr6
Amante dei cigari Cubani

Trading: (12)
RyJ
a2vr6 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SageTv?

Personally have not used it but there are many reviews on the web. Have been using Windows MCE 2005 and the interface is great, but the restricted content crap is wearing thin. Will be trying SageTV and Beyondtv once I upgrade to a dual core and start PVR'ing HD using the new Hauppage 1212.
a2vr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
Raralith
Death to the Unbelievers

Trading: (24)
Bolivar
Raralith is on a distinguished road

I recently built a HTPC for my wife with a Hauppage 2250 and after playing around with different software, I settled on Vista Media Center (Ultimate or Home); I also tried SageTV and BeyondTV. Here are my personal pro's and con's:

SageTV: Not as user friendly as I would like, but highly customizable. If you like to tinker around, you can't go wrong with SageTV. They also have a good forum community with lots of helpful people and lots of additional things you can further customize from there. The user interface was "meh."

BeyondTV: Very easy to setup, and very user friendly. You get the complete package for recording and watching shows, but not a whole lot more. Don't bother with the forums, they aren't much help, and delete post that don't make them sound fantastic. The user interface is really good though, and my wife was able to pick up the remote and start using it.

Vista Media Center: It came with the OS and honestly, I feel it is the most user friendly of all. Just like BTV, user interface is great, icons are nice and large, and it's built in the operating system.

If you are computer savy, SageTV will give you the most options. If you were like me though and building it for someone that isn't, Vista Media Center if you are running that operating system, BTV if you are running WinXP.
Raralith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
a2vr6
Amante dei cigari Cubani

Trading: (12)
RyJ
a2vr6 is on a distinguished road

The only issue with mce is it does not play well with he content. That and the restricted content issue.
a2vr6 is offline   Reply With Quote