Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough
Default No cigars, pipes, or clove cigarettes

So, I was at the Chili's down the street the other day and lots of people were smoking in the bar. I told me wife, I should have brought a cigar. I didn't realize you could smoke there. She then pointed out the sign that says, "No cigar, pipe, or clove cigarette smoking."

Why do they allow cigarette smoking, but nothing else?
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation
Default Re: No cigars, pipes, or clove cigarettes

Typical. In the "old days" the only thing you could smoke in the "Smoking Section" were cigarettes. I guess it was because of the volume of smoke, and the pipe aromas. What they should disallow is some of the perfumes that some women wear! I guess if you get some cigarillos you might be able to get away with it!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

Adrian, that is common place to have that kind of double standard in several chain restaurants , including Chili's and Hooters. I don't agree with it and tend to avoid those places since it is a form of discrimination IMHO. Their reasoning is that cigarettes are more socially acceptable than cigars or pipes, which leave a heavier scent in the air. As I said, I don't agree with their reasoning and vote with wallet by not going there if at all possible.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
brigey57
Smoke me if you can...

First Name: Bri
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
brigey57 is on a distinguished road

I was in a restaurant/bar with a friend and the only place I could smoke my cigar was at the bar. The reason was because the ventilation system in the restaurant was insufficient to remove the smoke away from the other patrons. But it was around the bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagleone View Post
Adrian, that is common place to have that kind of double standard in several chain restaurants , including Chili's and Hooters. I don't agree with it and tend to avoid those places since it is a form of discrimination IMHO. Their reasoning is that cigarettes are more socially acceptable than cigars or pipes, which leave a heavier scent in the air. As I said, I don't agree with their reasoning and vote with wallet by not going there if at all possible.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aich75013 View Post
So, I was at the Chili's down the street the other day and lots of people were smoking in the bar. I told me wife, I should have brought a cigar. I didn't realize you could smoke there. She then pointed out the sign that says, "No cigar, pipe, or clove cigarette smoking."

Why do they allow cigarette smoking, but nothing else?
It's because they're a bunch of damn dirty Communists thats why. Keeping us down.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
tupacboy
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
tupacboy is on a distinguished road

same problem here at yardhouse... they straight have a sign "no cigar smoking allowed" wtf
tupacboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Because we are so much more macho with out pipes and cigars. They don't want us scaring away their other patrons (girlie men) with their Marlboro lights, and menthol cigarettes.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:44 AM   #8
whodeeni

I would take a cigarillo in their too!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
sodomanaz

To most people the smell of cigar/clove smoke is more pungent than cigarettes (which were kind of an accepted norm at the time).
Old 04-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

Cigar smoke tends to be alot thicker... Still a stupid double standard though

aj
Old 04-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #11
willbreathes
Just in from the Storm

willbreathes is on a distinguished road

No smoking at all indoors in Ohio.

Bars/restaurants have been building patios like they are going out of style the past couple of years.
willbreathes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #12
nonameman
Just in from the Storm

nonameman is on a distinguished road

Places with the stupid cigarette smoking only rule make me happy because the owner is setting the rule.
nonameman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #13
Mpython24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
Because we are so much more macho with out pipes and cigars. They don't want us scaring away their other patrons (girlie men) with their Marlboro lights, and menthol cigarettes.

This made me laugh a little today. Way to be. Cigar smoking seems to have that manly man aspect of it.

On another note, No smoking at restaurants in PA either.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #14
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
That should be

Because we are so much more macho with our pipes and cigars.

I guess one little letter makes a difference
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #15
aich75013
Feeling at Home

Montecristo

I e-mailed Chili's the same time I posted this here, and they responded today. I'm okay with the answer.
Apparently they route the question directly to the particular location.

Quote:
I am very understanding about smoking cigars I myself enjoy one on occasion. I have had several problems with cigar smoke as you know being much more potentate it tends to filter out into the non-smoking side. I wish it was different but due to the amount of complaints I had to post the sign. I appreciate your buisiness and do not want to lose you as a patron. Please if you have time give me a call my number is xxx-xxx-xxxx. I will be in all day today and Thursday. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to talking with you.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #16
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

that seems like a pretty reasonable response, I love smoking cigars but I don't want it to infringe on someone else's enjoyment of their time
eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #17
tx_tuff

Everybody knows how much better cigarette smoke smells compared to cigar smoke LOL

There is a local wing place not far from my house. They will let me smoke a cigar in there, and they have let me and the wife smoke cigars in there. Once we went in there with about 8 of us, we asked if we could smoke cigars. They said yes. We all light up and about half way through our smokes they asked us to not light up anymore. We could finish what we was smoking but couldn't smoke anymore that night. The place just couldn't handle that much cigar smoke all at one time. None of us where mad and they where very nice about it.

So I can see what they would have a sign of some kind like this. But would rather it be on a case by case event like what happen at the wing place instead of a out and out ban.

If I ever open up anything it will be cigar smoking welcomed, but no cigarette smoking LOL. Thats another joke guys.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #18
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aich75013 View Post
I e-mailed Chili's the same time I posted this here, and they responded today. I'm okay with the answer.
Apparently they route the question directly to the particular location.
I am curious to hear what the guy had to say when and if you called. I somewhat understand his point about other complaints from patrons not wanting the wonderful smoke of a cigar interrupting the stink of the cigarettes in the bar area. I would then wonder how he feels about loosing a customer or potentially a base of customers who feel that it is best to eat and enjoy their cigars some where else. Either way I feel much better about it when it is the proprietor that determines what is and is not consumed in the establishment instead of the government.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #19
aich75013
Feeling at Home

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_B View Post
I am curious to hear what the guy had to say when and if you called. I somewhat understand his point about other complaints from patrons not wanting the wonderful smoke of a cigar interrupting the stink of the cigarettes in the bar area. I would then wonder how he feels about loosing a customer or potentially a base of customers who feel that it is best to eat and enjoy their cigars some where else. Either way I feel much better about it when it is the proprietor that determines what is and is not consumed in the establishment instead of the government.
I e-mailed him back and said Thank You for the response.
The way the restaurant is setup, I can see how a lot of smoke could migrate into the eating area. So, I see his point. Plus you can tell that their filtration system isn't that great.
He did e-mail back and said to let him know next time I am there and he would take care of me. I won't, because I don't think that is necessary.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #20
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Stopped at an Outback in WV and was taken aback when they asked "smoking or non-smoking?" Likely they wouldn't have allowed cigars, but I didn't bring them with me at any rate.