Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about
Default HELP - HoneyMoon in St. Lucia - Where to stay?

Well, Brothers and Sisters,

I am getting married at the end on June and it has been VERY tough trying to decide between St. Lucia and BVI but we have both reached a decision to go with St. Lucia (to make her happy).

We want a place that is all inclusive (food, drinks, etc). Our Plane tickets are being gifted to us so I don't need a package that includes air. I would prefer a place that has little or no kids and a room that views the ocean. Privacy is nice.... BUT, as much as i want a quiet and intimate setting, i also want to drink/dance and have fun at night at the resort.

Let me know where you have been, or where you have heard great things about in St. Lucia.

We are currently considering.....

1. Sandals Regency La Toc
2. Rendezvous
3. Body Holiday at LeSPORT

Any info would be good!!
Old 02-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
mrreindeer

Default Re: HELP - HoneyMoon in St. Lucia - Where to stay?

DUDE......1 sec....btw, St. Lucia is AWESOME.....
Old 02-24-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
MTB996
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
Partagas
MTB996 is on a distinguished road

Sandals. They really know how to cater to honeymooners.

Congrats.
MTB996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
mrreindeer

Okay....read this; I wrote it in September '03 on the Sandals Grand...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._St_Lucia.html

brb & CONGRATULATIONS brother!
Old 02-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreindeer View Post
Okay....read this; I wrote it in September '03 on the Sandals Grand...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._St_Lucia.html

brb & CONGRATULATIONS brother!
Were you wearing an over the shoulder banana hammock or is that Mrs. Reindeer and Borat?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #6
mrreindeer

Without re-reading that myself....here's what I can summarize for 'ya.

St. Lucia is awesome and I think you made the right choice. We chose St. Lucia in '03 as our first Caribbean destination, having never explored that part of the world before and we chose it because it seemed like the most lush, tropical, 'paradisey' of all the islands.

And I love Kauai so it seemed like something similar but more exotic/different.

Two years back, we visited St. John (USVI) and took a day dive trip hitting parts of the BVI. From what we heard from folks who have been to the BVI, the USVI are much better, although the BVI have some spots that are definitely worth hitting, like this one we LOVED: http://www.williamthornton.com/ . St. John is AWESOME btw.

St. Lucia was just what the doctor ordered & you'll find out that we actually had our stay on the island split between Sandals & Anse Chastenet: http://www.ansechastanet.com/ and liked Sandals so much that we ended up canceling our reservation at Anse Chastanet.

Now, I kinda would have liked checking out Anse Chastanet but Sandals was great. We have friends who are getting married in Aruba in June and actually planning on staying at Anse Chastanet for their honeymoon. The place is one of the most romantic boutique hotels in the world, according to Travel & Leisure magazine or something like that. And I think they do offer an all-inclusive package, I'm not sure. The place seems amazing but there are some drawbacks...while only three walls seems cool with the incredible view dropping out before you where the 4th wall would be, I've heard the bugs (and noise from the treefrogs & such) can be a little overbearing at times. Depends on how tough yer girl is....

You certainly won't be disappointed with St. Lucia, that's for sure.

The Sandals Grand was great and you could visit the other 2 Sandals properties on the island to eat or hang out. At the time, the Grand was the newest.

Leading up to booking Sandals, we had heard good things & bad things....and only knew folks personally who had been to Sandals in Jamaica and loved it. So we pulled the trigger and ended up really enjoying ourselves. As we told our friends who are honeymooning on the island in June, it's no Ritz Carlton but it's perfectly nice, comfortable, clean and a ton of fun, with great food & drinks (while I read some reviews about the food not being good....we were really quite pleased).

What else can I tell 'ya?

Last edited by mrreindeer; 02-24-2009 at 10:04 AM. Reason: just added a little more
Old 02-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Were you wearing an over the shoulder banana hammock or is that Mrs. Reindeer and Borat?
That is a ME! - HIGH FIVE!
Old 02-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

thanks for the review David!

MY only concern with Sandals is that some people who are frequent Sandal-goers say that the quality has gone down in the last 5 years....

Any insight on that?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post

1. Sandals Regency La Toc
2. Rendezvous
3. Body Holiday at LeSPORT

Regarding drinking & partying...Sandals is definitely a good atmosphere and the all-inclusive thing is nice so you don't have to worry about paying for anything...we often hung out at the pool bar (you sit inside the pool) and met tons of folks and had dinners (either alone or with other couples - and yes, it's a no-kids resort) & then hit the club which wasn't a raging place but fun all the same.

I wonder if the Sandals Grand is the same as the Sandals Regency...

I think I remember researching Rendezvous & I definitely researched LeSPORT which was close to the Grand, where we stayed....we actually saw it from the water on a dive trip, just around the bend from our hotel.

We had heard good things of LeSPORT...it's definitely more health-oriented...I don't know how much party...I just don't know.

We ended up just trying Sandals because of the reviews & our friends' good experiences in Jamaica.

Last edited by mrreindeer; 02-24-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #10
mrreindeer

Quote:
thanks for the review David!

MY only concern with Sandals is that some people who are frequent Sandal-goers say that the quality has gone down in the last 5 years....

Any insight on that?
Hmm....that's too bad if it's true....are these folks repeat visitors? I love tripadvisor a lot so definitely do some more investigating there...see if these folks have been there before or not and if they're comparing it to hotels like the Ritz or something....

You do have to be careful of how some reviewers are just out there to sh!t all over a perfectly good place. Read some more of their reviews (of other hotels, maybe even some that you've visited) and see if they're off their rocker or not. You'll get a pretty good feel of the type of person they are; that's why I talked about who mrsreindeer & I were as an intro to the review...you've got to know where we're coming from, 'ya know?

Have you looked into Anse Chastanet?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #11
Darrell

The most important question is, does St. Lucia have an LCDH?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #12
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas

david, i have looked at Anse Chastanet... i believe it is a bit out of our pricerange, it looked like it was going to be 6k per couple for 7 nights.

Darrell: (what??) is it kind of like "authorized dealer" of CCs?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:57 AM   #13
mrreindeer

Oof....that is a bit pricey....just a bit. We're in a global recession....you should try offering $1k.

Did you check out that Wille T joint in the BVI? Such a great, fun spot; make sure you check out the pictures section: http://www.williamthornton.com/ Hmm....I guess they took out the naughty ones.

mrsreindeer & I want to get a few couples together one day & rent out a sailboat for a few days & hit up spots like that.

They used to give free shirts to gals who would jump off the top of the Willie T topless...then they were giving out too many shirts so they upped the ante and made it 'nude jumping' and then somebody hurt themselves and they've restricted the jumping but the nudity persists.....
Old 02-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #14
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas

is Willie T mainly a couples spot? we deff. want something more "adult oriented"

I will get a sailboat with you some day, that sounds awesome!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #15
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
(what??) is it kind of like "authorized dealer" of CCs?
PM sent
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #16
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas

thanks UCLA!!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:08 AM   #17
mrreindeer

Quote:
I will get a sailboat with you some day, that sounds awesome!
Done & done.

Quote:
is Willie T mainly a couples spot? we deff. want something more "adult oriented"
Sorry Bob, I wasn't clear....it's just a floating bar/restaurant in the middle of a bay of a mostly deserted island in the BVI. You pull up your boat to the side (or swim from shore) and get loaded....and the girls get neked. No joke, we saw the bar's pictures in their photo album which they keep behind the bar.

When we were there (during a day dive trip), we sat next to a fellow who told us that just the week prior, he witnessed an older couple eating lunch at the bar. Directly to their left, a gal was naked, outstretched on the bar, pouring shots down her front and two different fellows 'collected' what was left at her crotch. So the story goes.

Last edited by mrreindeer; 02-24-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #18
Redbaron
Blank

Trading: (1)
HdM
Redbaron is on a distinguished road

Went to St Lucia for honeymoon in 2007.

Stayed in Ti Kaye Village.
http://www.tikaye.com/

If you want the following:
No Kids
No TV,Cell Phone, Internet
No Drunk college kids
No Club "insert name"
but want..
Private beach
Awesome food
Quiet Atmosphere
Incredible staff

Then Ti Kaye is the place. We rented a Ocean front cottage. Got massages daily, relaxed on quiet beach, snorkled. I brought my own cigars, and smoked heavily. Every night we ate at the fantastic resturant there, had desert/drinks/smokes listening to steel drum band, then went back and hung at the cottage, and ended up falling asleep to the sound of the ocean.

I am not a fan of spring break style get-a-ways. After the wedding, all we wanted to do was relax in a beautiful island setting, thats exactly what we got. No people asking you to buy stuff on beach, no over priced rum concoctions, nothing americanized.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #19
mrreindeer

Nice looking spot Redbaron! I've never heard of it!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #20
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas

Nice spot Redbaron. very nice. I do however want to drink and dance at night as well.

I'm actually leaning more towards Sandals now because they have that gofl course that is included... more over, they sell cigars at the gift shops in the resort....

But they may be fake... So, do you know of any local good/legit Cigar shops you could rec? I read on the St. Lucia forums that there was a good one down by shipping yard in castries.... i know it's a long shot, but any insight? or insight on others?