Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-27-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
LeoM
"Say what again!"

First Name: Leo
Trading: (87)
Partagas
LeoM will become famous soon enoughLeoM will become famous soon enough
Default Breaking up with Graycliff

Ok, so for the longest time the Graycliff Double Espresso has been one of my favorite NC's. I hadn't smoked one if several months, so I decided tonight would be a great night to "catch up" with my old friend. So I stepped outside, cut just enough off the cap, pre-draw was nice and earthy with a little chocolate, just like I remembered. Toasted the foot and lit her up. First draw was awesome, all the flavors I remembered and loved. About an inch into it though, it just went "flat" (for lack of a better word). No real flavor at all! Almost like smoking air. Tried purging, still didn't improve. So I figured, oh well, I'll just smoke it down a little and it'll get better. Nope! smoked it down to 2/3 and still nothing!! Now I'm not the kinda guy who will continue smoking that I don't enjoy (life's too short), so I chucked the poor guy and waved good-bye to an old friend.

Now I'm stuck...I'm hoping they're just in a "dead zone" and after a few more months, they'll come back, but I just don't know. I've had these for about 2 years from when a friend of mine went to Graycliff and picked up the box (I know they don't come in boxes, but he was like "I just bought 25 of these, so put them in a box of some sort", and I really hope they come back to being the smokes I love. If not, I guess my affair with Graycliff is over.

Now I'm going to go light up a LGC MdO 1, which is smoking great right now and drown my sorrows in a glass of Don Julio Anjeo.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of
Default Re: Breaking up with Graycliff

Sorry Leo!!! Maybe it was just that stick???

Don't give up on them!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Remember these things are hand made! You could have just picked out a dud. I wouldn't be so quick to give up on 'em!
Old 08-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Hopefully it will just be 1 and done with the bad ones.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
Mr. Ed
A horse is a horse...

First Name: Ed...duh
Trading: (6)
PL
Mr. Ed will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Remember these things are hand made! You could have just picked out a dud. I wouldn't be so quick to give up on 'em!

Just because one was bad or had a tight draw doesn't mean the whole box or batch is ruined or in a 'dead zone'.
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
LeoM
"Say what again!"

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Very true! I've just never had one like this after smoking hundreds (I'm sure) of this particular stick. I'll hold out and hope for the best. I'm not giving up yet, just makes one wonder is all.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
SmokinCozy
I don't smoke that

First Name: Craig
Trading: (47)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
SmokinCozy is on a distinguished road

Don't listen to all these guys, those are way over priced dog rockets and aren't worth your time, I will shoot you my addy in a bit for proper disposal.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
LeoM
"Say what again!"

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCozy View Post
Don't listen to all these guys, those are way over priced dog rockets and aren't worth your time, I will shoot you my addy in a bit for proper disposal.
Thanks buddy!!! You're help is much appreciated in assisting me with this issue!
Old 08-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
zipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoM View Post
I've had these for about 2 years from when a friend of mine went to Graycliff and picked up the box
Two years shouldn't be alarming, but I do have a box of once-so-lovely La Aurora Sublimes that I bought from the factory in DR 4-5 years ago. They used to be the sweetest, lightest floral smokes that I'd know, but now they are all bitter and bland. My point is, some sticks just don't age very well at all. Still, I've never-ever heard of a smoke that would "go bad" in two years, so I'd say that you just hit a bad one.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:59 PM   #10
Sr Mike
As Is

Trading: (6)
Sr Mike has disabled reputation

I am undecided on Graycliff. The 1666 is one of the most disappointing cigars I have ever smoked. Hopefully that was just a bad one.
Sr Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:04 PM   #11
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (13)
poriggity will become famous soon enoughporiggity will become famous soon enough

I've never been impressed with graycliff. The price has always kept me away. That being said, if you enjoyed them previously, don't give up based on one stick. Come back to them.. Give them another shot. I give every stick at least 3 tries before I write it off completely.
Scott

Bearded Dad Blog
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:05 PM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Leo, in my experience, they have a "window".
They suck, then settle down and smoke great for awhile, then they die.
It took almost a year for me to settle down the 1666's I have and they're smoking great right now. In a couple years, I expect they'll turn to air.
I try to burn the Double Espressos as fast as I can as soon as they're ready, cause when they go flat, they're flat.
It isn't gonna hurt to let them sit, so maybe revisit them in six months.
It could very well be that your tastes have changed, too?
Old 08-30-2009, 01:26 AM   #13
Cigary

Ditto what everyone is saying. If it is one of your favorites expect a bad one every now and then. If you have a whole box of them,,smoke a couple more and if those are bad send em back from where you bought them,,,most reputable B&M's will credit you back,,,,and if they don't write the company and let them know your displeasure. Squeeky wheel theory works more often than not.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #14
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Dont forget your palate could also just be off - depending on hydration, what you just ate, what you were drinking with it, etc. Or you could have gotten a bad stick. I'd smoke a couple more before declaring them dead.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote