Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #601
ddoubleujr
IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Trading: (0)
ddoubleujr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (Official?) Pocket Knife Discussion Thread

Going to ask a stupid question...

What is "your" purpose of carrying a knife?

I live in South Florida, Beach Capital! Other than keeping a knife in a drawer at the office or in the car for the occasional use of opening boxes and stuff, I'm not sure what I would use them for. I have about 20 SmithNWesson knives... all different types. But I rarely look at them... let alone actually use them.

Maybe there are applications I could put these babies to use that I am not realizing...

dDoubleUjr
ddoubleujr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #602
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoubleujr View Post

I live in South Florida, Beach Capital! Other than keeping a knife in a drawer at the office or in the car for the occasional use of opening boxes and stuff, I'm not sure what I would use them for. I have about 20 SmithNWesson knives... all different types. But I rarely look at them... let alone actually use them.

Maybe there are applications I could put these babies to use that I am not realizing...

dDoubleUjr
Cut open anything
When at work, cut down people who try to hang themselves
Last ditch weapon.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #603
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by issues View Post
Nice pickup Justin!

I just ordered my first custom folder so I should see it in about 4-6 months. I will definitely post it up here when I finally have it in hand.
What you order? From a maker on BF?
Old 07-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #604
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

dDoubleUjr
There's a myriad of uses for them. Everything from cleaning fingernails to cutting food to eat at work. Google "uses for a pocket knife". I carry a Swiss Army Knife or a Leatherman, so I have scissors, a knife, screwdriver, etc. wih me. Very handy to have.

There was a time when every man carried one. Both of my grandfathers caried one, my dad and FIL both carry one.

The question shouldn't be "why should I carry one?" it should be "why sholdn't I carry one?"
Old 07-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #605
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Quote:

dDoubleUjr
Here ya go. Spyderco Salt Series with H1 Steel. This is a RUST PROOF steel, not resistance, proof. It is work hardened so while it will not hold it's edge as long as other steels, over time it will get better. It's easier to sharpen due to it being a softer steel. But if you want a good beach/water/dive knife get one of these.
http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Spyderco-Salt-Series--776
Old 07-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #606
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:

dDoubleUjr
I carry two.... A Swiss Army knife, and a folder on a clip in my back pocket. I use one or both at least every other day or so. I've carried a pocket knife since I was in the 5th grade, never as a weapon, always as a tool. The principle at my Jr. High School has a nice collection of Barlows he would relieve from me about once a semester. Never any trouble, never any repercussions. Just ask me if I was carrying, and I'd give it up. Next day, I'd turn in coke bottles for enough money to buy a new one. Store was right next door to the school, and there wasn't restrictions or anything. I walked to school, so I always had a stash of returnable soda bottles hidden away for several dollars (and Barlows were $1.00 in the 1960's!).

They have ALWAYS been a tool, with many uses, which is why I have carried a Swiss Army knife for the last three decades. The folder in the back pocket is for ease of access, when my hands are full, and I can't reach into my pockets, or when I need a bigger blade than the one on the swiss army knife. I lead an active outdoor life, have a house and 6 acres, tractor, ATVs, 4x4's, and all sorts of outdoor work involved. Thus, I always have a need for a blade. If I lived in a big city, did very little outdoor or physical labor, I'd probably have no need whatsoever for a knife. Except maybe for self defense.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #607
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
What you order? From a maker on BF?
Yeah it is from a guy on BF and totally custom so it doesn't have a name. I picked out everything; blade steel and shape, deployment method, handle material, colors, file work, pocket clip and even hardware. He is known for being very good at taking something you imagined and making it into a badass cutting tool.

I am very excited so the wait is going to be tough but I'm sure it will be worth it.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #608
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Quote:
Yeah it is from a guy on BF and totally custom so it doesn't have a name. I picked out everything; blade steel and shape, deployment method, handle material, colors, file work, pocket clip and even hardware. He is known for being very good at taking something you imagined and making it into a badass cutting tool.

I am very excited so the wait is going to be tough but I'm sure it will be worth it.
Who's the maker?
Old 07-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #609
issues
Have My Own Room

VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Who's the maker?
Alan Davis.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #610
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Good Deal bro! Looking forward to seeing it.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #611
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Kershaw knife on sale for $9.99 today on Woot
Old 07-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #612
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

Quote:

dDoubleUjr
They come in handy for multiple things.

Cutting tags off of clothes, cutting rope, packages open, seat belts to get people out of a burning car.................endless amount of things a knife comes in handy for.

I wouldn't be caught without one, it's like my wallet. I'm lost without it.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #613
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

Quote:

where does one order a knife like this if interested?
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #614
issues
Have My Own Room

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
I did it by researching different knife makers on bladeforums.com and unsusualsuspects.net to find someone's style that I really liked then either found their website if they had one or emailed/pm'd them through the message board. I picked Alan Davis because had the style, price and flexibility I was looking for. There were several others I tried and they were either out of my price range or inflexible with style, materials or changing their templates to a left-handed lock. This probably won't be the last knife I commission from him.

There is another knife maker that I really want a knife from but his work is a bit more expensive. Jake Hoback makes overbuilt knives and his style is something I really like with super-thick Titanium handles and beefy blade stock. I hope to own one of his knives in the future.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #615
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
There are quite a few knifemakers on bladeforums that do great work. USUALLY a folder will cost more $ than a fixed blade knife made by the makers over there. Some of them make them and sell them and also take custom orders. You should check it out.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #616
LockOut
Burn Baby Burn

First Name: Tom
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
LockOut will become famous soon enough

got some salt water on the blade of my kershaw blur today. its s30v. Before i realized it, it had some small spotty surface rust. Will some soft brillow pads take this off much like guns or should i use something else?
IAFF Local #4907
LockOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #617
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

I would think so.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #618
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

I just picked up a Kershaw Volt II. It's my first knife with the SpeedSafe opening mechanism. It was a little stiff when I first started using it, but now it's pretty smooth.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #619
issues
Have My Own Room

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
I just picked up a Kershaw Volt II. It's my first knife with the SpeedSafe opening mechanism. It was a little stiff when I first started using it, but now it's pretty smooth.
Nice!!!
Old 08-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #620
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Woot sale today on a CRKT Van Hoy On Fire Knife. $24.99

http://sport.woot.com/offers/crkt-va...n-fire-knife-4