Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 02-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
TheJ

Default Michelada

I wanted to post my recipe for a Michelada because it seems they've become bastardized more and more as of late. First, tomato juice, V8, and Clamato have no business in a Michelada recipe. If you use any of those ingredients call your drink something else. It is not and never will be a Michelada. As much as I love me some Budweiser I'm a bit peeved with the slurry they are pawning off on consumers.

Simple recipe.

Salt the rim of a pint, or whatever large glass you choose.
Squeeze the juice of a couple Key Limes
Pinch of Margarita Salt
Couple dashes of Pepper
A few drops of Maggi meat seasoning
A few drops of Soy Sauce
A few drops (double the previous amount) of Worchestershire Sauce
A couple of table spoons of Valentina salsa
Slowly pour in your beer of choice (preferably Tecate or something else light. i.e. no dark beer)

As you get half way down the glass add more beer to the top. By the last top off you'll notice the drink isn't as spicy, but still hot enough.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
tobii3

Default Re: Michelada

that's entirely WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much effort.

Pop the top and drink. anything else would be uncivilized.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
TheJ

Hardly any effort. This isn't a pound down a sixer drink. It's a relaxing drink. Much like the difference in smoking cigarettes and smoking pipes.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

That sounds like a good drink Jason, I'm going to give it a try.
A favorite drink of mine is a bloody beer, half ice cold beer and half of a very spicy bloody mary mix. A great way to start the day!
Old 02-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
Diehard

Can a newbie make a comment? This is my favorite Mexican drink. When in Mexico, the mix is: an ounce of chili (hot) sauce, a shot of tequila and fill with dark beer. The Chelada is: an ounce of chili sauce and fill with dark beer, usually Dos Equis for both.I have had this same concoction all over Mexico.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
TheJ

There are going to be imitations even in Mexico. I learned the recipe in Mexico. First had it in Progresso then subsequently drank them in Monterrey, Saltillo, Nuevo Laredo, Reynosa, and Matamoros. No tequila in any of those. I've heard of a drink called Nichelada that has Tequila. A Chelada is what I mentioned on the first post as a no-no; clamato or tomato juice in the drink.

You'll find in Mexican Seafood restaurants they even put a raw oyster in the bottom

About seven years ago I was traveling into Mexico and it's border towns to find the best recipes. Many places guard it with their life. My plan was to mix and blend my own pre-mix to sell at grocery and liquor stores, clubs, and bars. Minus a few additives for shelf life the recipe above is the best you'll ever drink. IMHO

Due to the start up costs the mix has been put on hold.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
Diehard

Thanks! I stand corrected, but all I have had is the beer/chili sauce or beer/chili sauce/tequila mix. I'd like to try the others.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #8
nhoudek

Thej, Nice recipe. I use Tabasco instead of Valentina. Valentina, along with most other hot sauce besides Tabasco, does not mix well in the beer. Also, if you want to get a little more genuine use Tajin chilli/lime salt instead of salt. This is what you will get in mexico. I do not like tomato juice in my Michelada either, but I will have to disagree with you that it is not called a Michelada. Most places I have been in Mexico have given me the option. I usually stay further down south than some of the places you have mentioned and the michelada recipes vary by location. Here are some of my favorite Michelada Recipes.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Back in the days when I was down in Mexico a lot my friends made these often and got me hooked. Great drink for when it's 125 degrees out in the desert. Though, I seem to remember them being adamant about there being a distinct difference between a "Chelada" and a "Michelada" both similar ideas but different in execution.

At first the idea of it was off-putting and the taste and texture took some getting used to.

We made ours differently though, usually in a big 1L mug, Salt the rim using lime juice instead of water. Fill 1/2 with ice. Squeeze at least half (more to taste) of the lime into the mug. Fill 1/3 to 1/2 with Clamato. Fill to top with Tecate. Add Hot Sauce, Worschershire, and a dash of celery salt to taste. Give it a gentle stir.

I liked mine much spicier than most of my friends so I ended up using a hotter hot sauce, while they tended to use something along the lines of Tabasco or Crystal or whatever was available at the time. I also took it really light on the celery salt whereas some of them used it more. The cool thing about this drink is you can mess with the recipe a good bit and still be drinking something that's cold, refreshing, and different.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

The Mexican Michelada recipe(s) from bars in Mexico are far superior to any supposed "authentic" Michelada recipe on the interwebz.
Much like a martini or cigars, definitions and palates vary.
Like what you drink/smoke, right?
I have had my share of bloody beers, but not these. Sounds like a great drink to have on the deck with some Sunday brunch.