Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (13)
poriggity will become famous soon enoughporiggity will become famous soon enough
Default CAO La Traviata

I first heard about this cigar from @caocigars on Twitter. I was really excited about this cigar. With a price point of between $5.00 to $7.00 depending on size, this seemed like a nice price point. After hanging around on twitter for a while, reviews started to pop up on this cigar, and the consensus was that the La Traviata was a VERY good cigar for the money. After a few tweets on twitter, and reading through a few reviews on different blogs, I finally broke down and had a friend pick me up a few of these so I could review a couple. I can’t seem to find them anywhere in California, so I had to rely on friends to grab me a few. Thanks to Tim for hooking me up with these! You can read about Tim’s take on the La Traviata over at Stogielife.com, another great BOTL’s cigar blog!

Wrapper: Ecuadoran Habano
Binder: Cameroon
Filler: Nicaraguan ligero and Dominican blend
Size: Radiante 6″ x 52
Price: ~$5.95

Pre-Light: As I took a look at this cigar before lighting, the first thing I noticed was that the wrapper was nice and oily, and had a great sheen to it. Oily wrappers for me are usually a double edged sword. Usually, with oily wrappers, the cigar tastes really good, but I also tend to have trouble keeping it burning straight. As I ran this cigar across my nose, I got hints of spice, with a pure tobacco smell. I clipped this cigar with my ever trusty Palio, and lit up with my Ronson Jetlite.

1/3: As I started in on this cigar, the first flavors I got were some nice earth tones, with a little spice on the back of the pallete. As I continued on this first portion of the cigar, I got some nice coffee notes, with some leather. The smoke was very creamy, and coated my mouth nicely. The smoke billowed nicely as well. I was also very impressed with the draw on this cigar. It was a bit tight, but not so tight that I wasn’t enjoying it. It allowed just the right amount of resistance. The burn was a little bit wavy, but not so wavy that I found it necessary to take out my lighter and touch it up.

2/3: As I continued on this cigar, I went ahead and ashed the cigar, because I really didn’t want it getting all over me. It was a bit flaky, but at the price point, I almost expected it, so it wasn’t bothering me. At this point, I got some more of the earthy, leather flavors, with a little spice on the finish. The smoke is still nice and creamy, and plentiful as well. So far, for the price point, I am certainly enjoying this cigar.

3/3: As I finished up this cigar, I got more leathery, earthy notes, with the creamy smoke, and nice spice on the finish. I smoked this cigar down until my fingers were burning, and finally decided I needed to put it down, even if I didn’t want to.

Overall impression: Overall, this is a really good cigar. The price point is one that cannot be ignored. While its not the most complex cigar out there, the flavors I was getting were very very good, and the construction was outstanding. It is my opinion that the CAO La Traviata is worthy of a box purchase. Since smoking this review cigar, I have smoked 3 others, and they have all been just as great. I really enjoyed this cigar, and I recommend any cigar smoker, new or seasoned, give this cigar a shot!

For more of my take on cigars, be sure to check out www.cigarchoice.net

Smoke Em If You Got Em, Buy Em If You Don’t!
Scott

Bearded Dad Blog
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Veritas
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Gregory
Trading: (1)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Veritas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: CAO La Traviata

Great review, Scott. Thanks for adding yet another entry on my "to try" list.
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the review, Scott! I just picked up one of these bad boys yesterday!
Old 10-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
SkinsFanLarry

Excellant review Scott!

I liked the ligero taste I got out of it and like Scott said it's got a great price point.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (13)
poriggity will become famous soon enoughporiggity will become famous soon enough

Yeah.. they are for sure a box purchase.. They may have become my new go to smoke.
Scott

Bearded Dad Blog
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Nice review, Scott. I'll have to try these. I'm a fan of the Brazilia, Black, and VR.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review!!
Old 10-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #8
roughrider
Feeling at Home

Trading: (24)
roughrider is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review.
roughrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
Pilon
Feelin' the Love

First Name: Travis
Trading: (49)
Bolivar
Pilon will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review. I'll be keeping my eye out for these.
Pilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:10 PM   #10
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review brother. I smoked one of these the other day and had to put it to rest half way through. It was a little on the mild side for me. I didn't think there was much complexity with these smokes. Give this a try if you like something on the mild to med. side.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #11
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

I smoked the CAO La Traviata Radiante yesterday!!!

Fantastic smoke at a great price!!!

Thanks for the review Scott!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Nice review....I like these ALOT!
Old 01-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #13
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Nice review, thanks.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #14
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review. Put it on the list.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #15
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the review. I have found most of the CAO line to be appealing and will be adding this one to my must try list.
maninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #16
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Smoked my first one last weekend...grabbed a few more to keep in the humi. for the price, these are damn tasty sticks. the only CAO I have thoroughly enjoyed was the MX3...now I can add this stick to the short list. For the price...a must try.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #17
tobii3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda View Post
Give this a try if you like something on the mild to med. side.
Good Lord, Huy....people accuse ME of having lava for tastebuds, and I call this a medium!!!

What the hell you been smoking lately, exhaust pipes???

Old 01-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #18
daboose
...I shew you a mystery..

First Name: Den
Trading: (1)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
daboose is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review. I've smoked two Radiantes so far and found them to be very smooth for the entire smoke and very enjoyable. I was surprised I liked it so much since I'm newer to smoking cigars (~5 months). I've been trying a lot of singles and doubles and have been very disappointed, so this was a pleasant surprise.

I just picked up a box of the shorter version (Divino) since I usually don't have the time.
daboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #19
Knip23
Keep It Simple

First Name: Destrey
Trading: (10)
HUpmann Army (Active)
Knip23 is on a distinguished road

great review thanks
Knip23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #20
maverickdrinker
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: art
Trading: (15)
Cohiba
maverickdrinker will become famous soon enoughmaverickdrinker will become famous soon enough

Enjoying the La Traviata robusto right now. Definately agree that the construction is solid, pre draw and draw are spot on and the earthy, leathery tones are prominent. So far, it reminds me of a Bolivar Royal Corona.
maverickdrinker is offline   Reply With Quote