Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Official 2012 NFL Draft Talk Thread

I think it's way past time to get this thing started.

I'm in love with Matt Flynn. I have been for a few years now. It's nice to see him on the market, and I'd like to see him in Miami, but there's a lot of lip going on here in Cleveland about him. No respect lip because Cleveland fans are borderline retarded, but they've totally abandoned Colt McCoy, who's a serviceable QB, and they're all hollering for a QB when they have gaping holes to fill elsewhere.

That brings me to the question, what's the $ number for placing the Franchise tag on a backup QB, and will Green Bay make that move?
I think it comes down to dollars and cents, but with Rodgers a head shot away from finishing his career, it seems kinda crazy to let an arm like Flynn get away. Not kinda, just crazy. But if the money isn't there, it isn't there, and Green Bay has lots of needs.

No clue what the Steelers are looking to do aside from deal Wallace. I could see a Wallace for Hillis trade with Cleveland, or I should say I'd love to see Hillis in Burgh. Mendenhall is gone for next year and we're really light at RB. We need a left guard, as always. There's some kids from last year who were hurt that will be available this year, so that may clean up that problem. I see them chasing a couple D-backs in late rounds in hopes they can get ready to fill some aged positions.
We could use a big, heavy, strong QB to back up Ben. Leftwich should be ready and Batch and Dixon will likely be gone.

I could go on forever, but there's some starters.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

First Name: Jarrod
Trading: (51)
Partagas
JenksAnejo has a spectacular aura aboutJenksAnejo has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Official 2012 NFL Draft Talk Thread

I could definitely see Pitt taking a O-Line late in the first round. Cordy Glenn from Georgia would be a great fit if he lasts that long. The dude is 6'4 340 an absolute monster!!

As a Rams fan I'm hoping that Cleveland trades their #4 and #22 for the #2 overall. If that happens I would like the Rams to get Blackmon @ #4 and hopefully get either Peter Konz (maybe too high for a center) or Jonathan Martin if available.

I think Flynn is gone from GB.. I think they would take a late first or early second rounder and get rid of him. GB has a few needs that should be addressed in the first two rounds.
JenksAnejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

First Name: Larry
Trading: (15)
larryinlc has disabled reputation

From JSonline: This was a result of the Finley signing

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...140081103.html

Not having to use the franchise tag puts the Packers in a position of strength heading into the off-season. They're unlikely to use it on center Scott Wells, who will be an unrestricted free agent, because the franchise salary for an offensive lineman is $8.4 million, which is likely more than they would be willing to pay.

But they could use it on quarterback Matt Flynn, which could put them in the middle of a bidding war for the young backup's services. If they franchise Flynn before the March 5 deadline, they would be on the hook for a $14.4 million salary, but their intention would be to do a sign-and-trade.

In other words, they would shop Flynn to those interested in him and take the best offer. Flynn would have to agree to renegotiate the one-year deal into a long-term contract before any team would be willing to make a trade.
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenksAnejo View Post
I could definitely see Pitt taking a O-Line late in the first round. Cordy Glenn from Georgia would be a great fit if he lasts that long. The dude is 6'4 340 an absolute monster!!
That would be priceless. We need more help on the ends than in the middle, but that'd allow things to get shuffled around a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenksAnejo View Post
As a Rams fan I'm hoping that Cleveland trades their #4 and #22 for the #2 overall. If that happens I would like the Rams to get Blackmon @ #4 and hopefully get either Peter Konz (maybe too high for a center) or Jonathan Martin if available.

I think Flynn is gone from GB.. I think they would take a late first or early second rounder and get rid of him. GB has a few needs that should be addressed in the first two rounds.
I've heard that 4 and 22 to 2 scenario. That puts them on RG3. It just doesn't make sense. For them to go after a QB nullifies everything they did the last two years and leaves them at start over.
Add to that, Colt is a good enough QB. He's not Aaron Rodgers but he's sure not Tim Tebow or Rex Grossman.
Cleveland could grab Blackmon at #4 or give up their #4 and go after Mike Wallace. They need a wideout, bad. They might even be able to get Hillis to Burgh in a deal, but that leaves them with no running game. Cleveland needs Hillis, but I really don't think Hillis wants Cleveland. That's understandable, because the fans here will turn on a guy in a heartbeat. While he was hurt this year the talk radio was slap full of "Hillis is laying down" comments and "Hillis needs to be gone" comments, and that never ends. Why anyone would want to play in this town is beyond me. It really is pathetic, I've never seen anything quite like it. I think it comes from the Browns leaving.

Agreed on Flynn. I just hope for Green Bay's sake they can keep him.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinlc View Post
From JSonline: This was a result of the Finley signing

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...140081103.html

Not having to use the franchise tag puts the Packers in a position of strength heading into the off-season. They're unlikely to use it on center Scott Wells, who will be an unrestricted free agent, because the franchise salary for an offensive lineman is $8.4 million, which is likely more than they would be willing to pay.

But they could use it on quarterback Matt Flynn, which could put them in the middle of a bidding war for the young backup's services. If they franchise Flynn before the March 5 deadline, they would be on the hook for a $14.4 million salary, but their intention would be to do a sign-and-trade.

In other words, they would shop Flynn to those interested in him and take the best offer. Flynn would have to agree to renegotiate the one-year deal into a long-term contract before any team would be willing to make a trade.
Henne is an unrestricted free agent this year in Miami and reports are that Miami is not offering him a contract.
That pretty much lines up Green Bay to sign and deal Flynn. They could easily get a draft pick, I'd think. Depends how hot Miami is for Flynn, and I think they're as hot as they get.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

I believe the Packers franchise Flynn (they would be dumb NOT to) and trade him for a couple of high draft picks. They have Harrell ready to progress through their QB school, which has been the best league wide producer of starting qb's since the mid-90's. They'll draft another project in the later rounds for a 3rd stringer.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Miami has #8, Tim. Green Bay could use it.
What's the talk there? What kind of draft scenarios/player moves are you guys looking at?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
What's the talk there? What kind of draft scenarios/player moves are you guys looking at?
No way in Hell do they get the #8 for Flynn. I'd be estatic with similar compensation that the Patriots received for Cassel, although I don't see that happening, either.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinlc View Post
As an aside, am I the only one who thinks it's retarded that when franchising a player, offensive lineman are lumped all together, but no other position is (secondary, defensive line)?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
But if the money isn't there, it isn't there, and Green Bay has lots of needs.

Quote:
No clue what the Steelers are looking to do aside from deal Wallace. I could see a Wallace for Hillis trade with Cleveland, or I should say I'd love to see Hillis in Burgh.
Hillis is an UFA.
Quote:
We could use a big, heavy, strong QB to back up Ben. Leftwich should be ready and Batch and Dixon will likely be gone.

I could go on forever, but there's some starters.
Watching Todd Haley and Roethlisberger interact, if nothing else, should be entertaining next season.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I think #8 might be kinda high for Flynn as well, but stranger things have happened with desperate teams. As far as talking about other moves, Ted and Mike play it pretty close to the vest, but I'd hope we'd be looking for a pass rusher / secondary upgrades.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

What about Peyton? Is he staying or gone?
He has spurs and needs another neck operation right now, or has had it already, I haven't kept up. I know he wants to play and I want to watch him, but for his own good, I hope he doesn't take another snap.
He would totally own a broadcast booth job and I think he can have some fun as far as his acting talent goes if that interests him.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Ya, Rly. A defense would kick ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

Old 02-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #14
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Ya, Rly. A defense would kick ass.
You'd be amazed by what one measley pass rusher would do so that Matthews isn't triple teamed and the secondary isn't asked to cover for eight to ten seconds every pass. They're one year removed from being the #2 overall defense, remember? They lost Jenkins to free agency, and there went the pressure from the opposite side of Matthews.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #15
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
What about Peyton? Is he staying or gone?
He has spurs and needs another neck operation right now, or has had it already, I haven't kept up. I know he wants to play and I want to watch him, but for his own good, I hope he doesn't take another snap.
He would totally own a broadcast booth job and I think he can have some fun as far as his acting talent goes if that interests him.
From everything I've read/heard, the problem isn't with his neck at this point, it's with his arm, or more specifically lack of arm strength, a byproduct of all the nerve damage suffered.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
You'd be amazed by what one measley pass rusher would do so that Matthews isn't triple teamed and the secondary isn't asked to cover for eight to ten seconds every pass. They're one year removed from being the #2 overall defense, remember? They lost Jenkins to free agency, and there went the pressure from the opposite side of Matthews.
Even if that's all it is, and I give you that, it's a tough spot to fill. That's gotta come from free agency, not the draft.
If the Pack wants to stop that bleeding, there's no 14 million for Flynn, so he's a memory. And if they can wrangle the 8th pick from Miami, can they pay for it ?
I'm not even arguing, just asking.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #17
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
From everything I've read/heard, the problem isn't with his neck at this point, it's with his arm, or more specifically lack of arm strength, a byproduct of all the nerve damage suffered.
That makes good sense, but he does have another operation coming up to remove bone spurs that have formed in his neck.
I think he's due his 18 million come March 7th, I can't see that happening, no matter what. Irsay couldn't call himself a businessman if he paid up. I do see Peyton being stubborn enough to set up shop in Arizona and fail miserably. Hopefully he'll just see the light and pull the plug.
I'm guessing the Colts wouldn't have any claim to his merchandising after this is all done. I don't think Peyton will have any trouble pulling in 18 million this year doing whatever he chooses, or at least making more than enough to put food on the table.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #18
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

Partagas

Quote:
That would be priceless. We need more help on the ends than in the middle, but that'd allow things to get shuffled around a bit.
Agreed, Glenn is projected as both guard and tackle. That's why I think Pitt would be such a good fit; however, with that being said I don't see him lasting after Cincinatti's 2nd first round pick.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #19
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

Partagas

Another player I could see Pitt getting is Dontari Poe out of Memphis. 6'5 360 would absolutley solidify their line for the next decade! Hayward, Poe, Hood that would be sick nasty!

Who is the biggest sleeper in this years draft? I say Quention Couples, everyone has been so down on him lately but feel like this dude could be a STUD! Please, please, please, fall to Dallas @ #14!!
Old 02-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #20
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Even if that's all it is, and I give you that, it's a tough spot to fill. That's gotta come from free agency, not the draft.
If the Pack wants to stop that bleeding, there's no 14 million for Flynn, so he's a memory. And if they can wrangle the 8th pick from Miami, can they pay for it ?
I'm not even arguing, just asking.
Even if they could pay for it (which admittedly I'm not up to speed on their cap situation), Ted Thompson simply doesn't run his football team that way. His first year he brought in Ryan Pickett and Charles Woodson, and after that, bupkis. It's really not a good year to be chasing a pass rush in free agency; especially for a 3-4 team. Personally, I'm hoping/wishing/praying that Courtney Upshaw falls to the Packers in the first round.