Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 10-02-2018, 10:45 PM   #1
JasonDuranceau
JDinSD

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
JasonDuranceau is on a distinguished road
Default The 19th Hole

I thought I would start a thread to share golf stories, favorite courses, and complain about how crappy at golf we all are! Feel free to share anything golf related here, including what cigar you enjoyed during your round! I play quite a bit, so I'll be on here sharing stories and talking about some of the great courses in SoCal and in the Midwest where I grew up! I'm looking forward to hearing about other courses across the globe and stories about your game! Until then, play well!
JasonDuranceau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:51 PM   #2
JasonDuranceau
JDinSD

Default Re: The 19th Hole

I'll even get the ball rolling with my round from today. My wife hasn't played golf for about 10 years or more, and finally we went out and played 9 holes. Much to my surprise, I played great! Birdies on 1&5. One double on 6 (PBFU), a bogey bogey finish and I shoot a pretty respectable +3 38! I'm a 14 handicap at the moment, and used to be better in my youth, as I'm sure most can relate. But today felt good on my home club at The Country Club Of Rancho Bernardo in San Diego. Tomorrow is another day, hopefully the swing comes along with me! Hit 'em straight!
Old 10-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Last time I golfed was an FOP golf tournament about 29 years ago. My partner and I decided we would drink a beer a hole, 'cause that's what you do at FOP golf outings. On the 16th hole I flipped the golf cart on us and pinned myself and my partner underneath. Took a few guys to get us out. Almost got into a scrap with an employee after the round, but he thought better of it because I was drunk and three times his size. Our department was uninvited from the course for the next several years.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:47 PM   #4
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

23 years ago when my nephew was 4 I bought him his first set of real golf clubs. My brother and I took him to the driving range at a golf club on Cape
Cod. The course is a bit secluded and it was early in the season. We knew it would be quiet.

The tee area is elevated about 30 feet above the range. It quickly became obvious that the little guy sucked like his dad. Most shots trickled down the hill. As we were the only ones there I went down the slope to throw the balls back to my bro. I had just fired up a big maduro. My man started to get the hang of it and was hitting a few good ones.

I had turned my back to pick up a ball when my brother yelled "Kitty, heads up!". Just as I looked back a ball was headed for my head at a high rate of speed. I snapped my head back and the ball hit my smoke. It exploded. I thought I was gonna pee myself laughing. Soon I'll be a groomsman at his wedding. Love that kid.

Now the little monkey hits his 9 iron 190 yards. I'm so proud.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:11 PM   #5
JasonDuranceau
JDinSD

That's a great story Tio! Enjoy the wedding!
Old 10-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #6
JasonDuranceau
JDinSD

Damn! What a crappy round of golf today! Played with my regular group today at my club and only managed 5 pars in 18 holes! I had 2 birdies and 3 pars yesterday in 9 holes! Golf is a frustrating game but I love it and have been playing for 32 years! Will never quit and just enjoy being out there with my friends! Swing hard and take chances...was kind of a motto today
Old 10-03-2018, 11:58 PM   #7
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDuranceau View Post
That's a great story Tio! Enjoy the wedding!
What am I, chopped liver?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 10-04-2018, 05:58 AM   #8
JasonDuranceau
JDinSD

I had read yours earlier in the day when I was actually on the course! I actually starred cracking up. What a hilarious story Tom!
Old 10-04-2018, 07:58 AM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDuranceau View Post
I had read yours earlier in the day when I was actually on the course! I actually starred cracking up. What a hilarious story Tom!
I'll be here all za veek.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:39 AM   #10
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Last time I golfed was an FOP golf tournament about 29 years ago. My partner and I decided we would drink a beer a hole, 'cause that's what you do at FOP golf outings. On the 16th hole I flipped the golf cart on us and pinned myself and my partner underneath. Took a few guys to get us out. Almost got into a scrap with an employee after the round, but he thought better of it because I was drunk and three times his size. Our department was uninvited from the course for the next several years.
LOL. I don't blame the employee for not wanting to fight you
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:34 PM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
LOL. I don't blame the employee for not wanting to fight you
And I was a LOT bigger back then, Dan.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:55 AM   #12
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
That sounds like my Shriner golf outings!
Old 10-06-2018, 06:29 AM   #13
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

We play golf almost everyday down here in The Villages and most of the courses are Executive par 3s with 3 tees so beginner golfers, think 55 and older can learn to play. They even have a couple of courses where the greens have two holes, one is standard size but the other is much larger so anyone can sink a putt. We have one friend who putts for whichever hole is closer once she's on the green and a neighbor who only plays on these courses thinking it would be easier to get a hole in one. He has been here 3 years and is still looking for that hole in one.

The nice part about living here is having your own golf cart along with and never having to get your clubs in and out of the car! Our short game has improved a lot since we have been here.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:09 PM   #14
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

I thought the best part of living there were all the widows. I'll skip my comment on the big and small holes.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:11 PM   #15
JasonDuranceau
JDinSD

Played in a scramble today for charity with one of the worst hangovers I've had in awhile. I tried to get back on the wagon but it took a few holes to knock out the cobwebs! We enjoyed some PLPC's and got some booze in us and shot a 27 on the back nine. Only a 32 on the front, so I guess the moral of the story is no matter how much it hurts, booze and cigars will always help make for a better round!
Old 10-07-2018, 12:55 PM   #16
colimo
friend of Brother Maynard

First Name: doug
Trading: (41)
PL
colimo will become famous soon enough

good thread...

am an avid golfer!!! played my 115th round last year on Dec. 31st, in Denver...already up to 87 this year...
Old 10-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #17
SurfnSafari
Still Watching My Back

SurfnSafari has disabled reputation

My experience with Golf we carrying my Granduncles bag several times, it was hard work for a teenager. No he did not pay me, because he was frugel.

Fast forward a few years we had this "Pitch & Putt" municipal course in the town I live in, I played frequently in H/S but I never ever got bit by the Golf bug.

In High School I did some Caddy work at a municipal course near where I live. Normally in the early hours about 6 or 8 kids would hang out, and hit the arriving golfers up for caddy work. Think we got $2.00 for 9 holes, and $3.00 for 18. Then if you did a good job you maybe got a $1.00 tip from the customer.

Later in life I found myself cover P.G.A., or Senior P.G.A. Event with my camera. It was great to get paid for taking photos. Houspatality room were great, food, and good liquor.

I will share one funny story that happened at the Senior P.G.A. Event. There is this group of amatures, and this celiberity X-baseball player waiting to tee off.

This little boy approaches the group, apprently his family came to see the event, and very politely this young boy asks the former baseball play for his autograph. Kid is maybe 7 - 9 years old, and has one of those book people use to collect autograph in. About the same time the boy is ask he is trying to hand the guy his autograph book, and a pen.

What happens next is not funny, they baseball guy says to the kid, "see me at the next card show". Apprently this guy make the rounds of sport memorbillia, and sport card shows selling his autographs. I must have been 30 or 50 feet away, but could hear the conversation as let say the sound of the guy voice was clear as daylight.

Fast forward a couple of years I reading the newpaer, read where the IRS is investigating this baseball great for not paying taxes, or declearing income on card show income.

I chuckle to myself, and remember the kid who got the no, and told see me at the next card show.
SurfnSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:52 PM   #18
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Good proof that comes around goes around.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:58 PM   #19
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfnSafari View Post
they baseball guy says to the kid, "see me at the next card show". Apprently this guy make the rounds of sport memorbillia, and sport card shows selling his autographs. I must have been 30 or 50 feet away, but could hear the conversation as let say the sound of the guy voice was clear as daylight.

Fast forward a couple of years I reading the newpaer, read where the IRS is investigating this baseball great for not paying taxes, or declearing income on card show income.

I chuckle to myself, and remember the kid who got the no, and told see me at the next card show.
Oh, for Pete's sake. No one told the kid that life was going to be a Rose garden.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:00 PM   #20
JasonDuranceau
JDinSD

I see what you did there....Pretty funny!