Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 07-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
magz
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
magz is on a distinguished road
Default Newb checking in...humidor suggestions requested.

Hello,

First off, I've browsed through this forum a bit and I like what I see in regards to layout, content, aesthetics, etc. So definitely keep up the good work!

A bit about me...I've been smoking cigars occasionally off-and-on for the last 15 years or so. However, I never really thought about purchasing a humidor until recently. I live within a mile or so of a pretty good tobacco shop in Minneapolis (Golden Leaf, for any locals on the board), and I have traditionally just purchased single sticks at the store in person. However, I've started thinking about buying different sampler packs and specials online in order to help broaden my horizons a bit while avoiding paying full retail prices. In order to do this, I'll need a humidor.

I know a bit about the basics:

-I need a Spanish cedar wood interior.
-A good seal is critical. Glass tops look cool, but I am ruling them out in the name of function-over-form.
-I'll ditch the analog hydrometer and pick up a digital replacement.
-I'll properly season the humidor over the course of a week or two.

Now, my question to you, is what humidor suggestions do you have for a first timer? Ideally I'd like something that is:

-Under $100.
-75 count minimum. 100 or maybe 125 count preferable. I won't have many cigars initially, but I'd like to have room to expand a bit as my tastes grow.
-Constructed decently. No eBay crap that will break immediately.

That's it. Type of exterior wood doesn't matter. Bells and whistles don't matter. I just want a functional, solid humidor that won't break the bank and will hold a desired Rh without too much hassle.

Any suggestions? So far I have come up with these as possible purchases...

-Cuban Crafters 120 count for $70. Seems to be the best value, but then again I don't know how realistic the quoted retail price of $199 is.

-CI's 75-100 count Bally Rosewood. $70. Has a lock, but that's not a real selling point to me. My buddy's dad used to buy from CI's catalog so based on that experience, it sounds like a reputable shop.

-Cheap Humidor's 100-120 count Tuscany. $60. Has Sure Seal, which I gather is good(?).

So what say you, old wise ones? Are there any better suggestions for me?

Thanks for the input!
magz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newb checking in...humidor suggestions requested.

Welcome to the MADHOUSE!! The best advice you will receive here in regards to purchasing your first humi...is to buy big. Trust me on this one.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I agree with Mac. Go with twice the size you think you will need. It would have saved me some time a money if I had know this in the beginning.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

If you're looking to save money, buy a nice cooler and call it a day
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
Infecting Via PM

First Name: Brendon
Trading: (35)
RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about

Welcome, I got my first humi couple months ago and now have 3 with a wineador Also so buy bigger than you think you need
Old 07-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Get a cooler and throw some beads or boveda packs in it. You can get alot of storage for 100 bucks if you go that route.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Regardless of whether you go humidor or cooler, ditch any humidification device that comes with your purchase. Like Isaiah says above, get some humidification beads (Heartfelt Industries, or shilala beads from member "CigarNut" are most popular.). Most important purchase outside the actual storage container.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Welcome, light one up...

As for your first humi, just go BIG you will fill & run out of room before you know it... Its a FACT!!!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

All three of the humidors you picked would be a good first choice. You should be able to find a free shipping code for CI which will save you enough money to buy a hygrometer or an ounce or two of beads. I would save a cooler for your next purchase and future box storage. Check the stickies for seasoning tips and instructions on calibrating your hygrometer.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
All three of the humidors you picked would be a good first choice. You should be able to find a free shipping code for CI which will save you enough money to buy a hygrometer or an ounce or two of beads. I would save a cooler for your next purchase and future box storage. Check the stickies for seasoning tips and instructions on calibrating your hygrometer.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...166280093.html

Might be a little more capacity than you're looking for but pretty sweet as a humidor...

And welcome to the Asylum!
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I might go against the grain, but I have learned over time that if you are even into cigars for a YEAR,
Buy a humidor of some quality and leave the cheap humidors to the people who spend twice as much
money over 5 times as much time. Cheap humidors, no matter how fancy looking, are just cheap humidors.
Buy a small desktop humidor, as good as you can afford, and also buy a small ice chest with a great seal.
Keep your smoking stash in a small desktop and keep the rest of your cigars in an ice chest. A desktop,
in my experience should be high quality, small and subtle. Something that can go anywhere in the
home and not look out of place. Consider a handmade box from one of our members. It may seem
expensive at first, but in the end its really not excessive in terms of the lack of time and attention and
constant moisture maintenance with a leaky cheapy. You could look for a used model here. Like I said,
people are always selling cheap humis because they don't work so hot.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the club!! I agree with most here and say go big or go home. You will need to expand sooner or later.

As for a humidor I would look for a treasure dome on cbid you might have to look for a couple days but they pop up all the time.

(I am in no way affiliated with the above site, I just fund them)
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
mkarnold1
Skol Vikings!

First Name: Mark
Trading: (22)
RA Army (Served With Honor)
mkarnold1 will become famous soon enoughmkarnold1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattso3000 View Post

Might be a little more capacity than you're looking for but pretty sweet as a humidor...

I'm surprised you're handing out leads that I KNOW you are interested in bro.

Oh yeah, welcome to the asylum Magz. I went the cooler route and have storage for a lot of smokes for around $20 (igloo 46qt from wallyworld)
Old 07-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #15
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I might go against the grain, but I have learned over time that if you are even into cigars for a YEAR,
Buy a humidor of some quality and leave the cheap humidors to the people who spend twice as much
money over 5 times as much time. Cheap humidors, no matter how fancy looking, are just cheap humidors.
Buy a small desktop humidor, as good as you can afford, and also buy a small ice chest with a great seal.
Keep your smoking stash in a small desktop and keep the rest of your cigars in an ice chest. A desktop,
in my experience should be high quality, small and subtle. Something that can go anywhere in the
home and not look out of place. Consider a handmade box from one of our members. It may seem
expensive at first, but in the end its really not excessive in terms of the lack of time and attention and
constant moisture maintenance with a leaky cheapy. You could look for a used model here. Like I said,
people are always selling cheap humis because they don't work so hot.
I have two inexpensive Savoy humidors(under $75) that I have been using with no issues for the past 6 years. I've considered a nicer desktop but realistically an Aristocrat is probably my next move.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #16
ysr_racer

I use these. It's not pretty, but it works.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:01 PM   #17
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I use these. It's not pretty, but it works.

I use them as well....for lasagna.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:03 PM   #18
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I use them as well....for lasagna.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #19
magz
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
magz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattso3000 View Post

Thanks for the welcome guys! And I am glad to see some other people from MN on here!

Apparently somebody else thought it was a sweet item, because the posting is deleted. What was it out of curiosity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
I have two inexpensive Savoy humidors(under $75) that I have been using with no issues for the past 6 years. I've considered a nicer desktop but realistically an Aristocrat is probably my next move.
I am happy to hear someone here had a positive experience with a cheaper humidor. Down the road I would like to buy a high quality unit, but for now a <$100 unit is all that is in the cards for me. Was the seasoning process a little more finicky compared to a more expensive humidor, or was it pretty straight forward?
magz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #20
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

welcome !
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote