Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 10-24-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
kayaker

Default Cigar-like tobacco

Hey all,

I'm not a pipe smoker yet, but I have smoked a couple of bowls with a friend who is. I've bought tobacco for him and it smells awesome. So does the smoke.

However, my question is: Is there pipe tobacco that tastes similar to smoking cigars. I know cig tastes can vary a lot but pipe tobacco seems to be different altogether.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cigar-like tobacco

JL pease robusto and key largo both have cigar leaf in them. I believe robert louis 123 does also.
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

I havn't found pipe baccy that is similar in any way, even if it has cigar leaf in it. You can't really tell it's even in there. I have had some that has a depth of flavor a cigar can't touch though.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
kayaker

Cool. Thanks for the info. I may have to consider a pipe for an occasional quicker smoke than cigs usually require.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
Pipe&Cigar

In my experience a pipe bowl takes about as long as a cigar, i dont like to stop in the middle of a bowl... there are smaller bowl pipes out there but they tend to get really hot. I sit down with a pipe when I have time to go through the ritual of Filling, Tamping, Lighting etc.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
the nub
Papa Chino

Trading: (2)
LGC
the nub is on a distinguished road

Cuba has pipe tobacco labelled as picadura granulada. About half of the LCDH in Havana have them. Partagas is common and some stores may still have La Ecsepcion from pre-'99. Available in 1/2 and full pound bricks- roughly 4CUC and 8 CUC respectively.
the nub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
Joan

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
JL pease robusto and key largo both have cigar leaf in them. I believe robert louis 123 does also.
That GLP Robusto is some good stuff! Popped a can of some 9yo GLPR last spring and WOW! Gave it to my bestest cigar bf because he loves it more than I do or I'd send you some.

Can't go wrong on a fresh tin, either. Haven't tried the Key Largo, though. Hmmm.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:05 AM   #8
Mr_Wolf

Try McClelland's Dominican Glory (also available in maduro) & Cornell & Diehl's Purple Cow (has maduro leaf in it).
Old 11-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #9
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

H&H VS - http://www.pipesandcigars.com/virginiaspice.html

You will know it has cigar leaf in it but...

sooner or later you will ask yourself, "Why bother?"
Old 11-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #10
Hydrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
...sooner or later you will ask yourself, "Why bother?"
Eggzactly!

I'm down to about 2 or 3 cigars a month nowadays... but 2 or 3 bowls a day. I usually resort to a cigar when I'm on the move or doing something that makes pipe smoking difficult or inappropriate.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #11
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrated View Post
Eggzactly!

I'm down to about 2 or 3 cigars a month nowadays... but 2 or 3 bowls a day. I usually resort to a cigar when I'm on the move or doing something that makes pipe smoking difficult or inappropriate.
I figured, when I first picked up a pipe for a serious pass at the sport, that it couldn't be great if it didn't taste like a cigar, somehow, someway. So I was gifted a little Virginia SPice and, yep, there was the cigat taste floating ion and out. I got disabused of the notion that cigar+pipe=good on my first bowl of Escudo. Boing! Wow.

While there are several cigarleaf pipe tobaks, the couple I tried seemed to diminish rather than enhance the quality of the smoke. Now this is just my personal taste and no disrespect meant to folks who like cigarleaf pipe tobak, of whom there must be at leasdt seven or eight.

So, fact remains that Thursday night was a regular goll'danged cigar orgy over in Fayetteville and I did my share of cigar smoking, by golly. And the Moo-House herf yesterday (with friends SmokeyJoe, BudPrince, Brave Dave Nathan, BarneyBandMan & BarneysFunGirl) put me right in the middle of some serious cigar enjoyment. But for the same reason I wouldn't like a latakia cigar, I would be disgusted if my favorite briar was cigar-ghosted.

Last edited by Mister Moo; 11-02-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #12
Joan

Quote:
So, fact remains that Thursday night was a regular goll'danged cigar orgy over in Fayetteville and I did my share of cigar smoking, by golly. And the Moo-House herf yesterday (with friends SmokeyJoe, BudPrince, Brave Dave Nathan, BarneyBandMan & BarneysFunGirl) put me right in the middle of some serious cigar enjoyment. But for the same reason I wouldn't like a latakia cigar, I would be disgusted if my favorite briar was cigar-ghosted.
Meee toooo!

Someday I'm going to make one of those mad Moo House herfs.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #13
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan View Post
Someday I'm going to make one of those mad Moo House herfs.
They're quite tame, ektually; next one starts when you hit the driveway.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #14
Joan

Quote:
They're quite tame, ektually; next one starts when you hit the driveway.
I am so not worthy of riding the FJR across country in the winter, because besides being quite nipply, it's like SNOWING on the all high spots between here and there. *sigh* Next summer, hopefully.

Say, what is the closest major airport to Moo House, anyhow? I'll start watching for good deals!
Old 11-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #15
physiognomy
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
ERdM
physiognomy will become famous soon enough

I save the caps from every cigar I clip & throw them in the closest open tin... For me it adds a depth to my favorite VAs (and most anything else). I can also change things up by packing in some cigar tobacco or not. This afternoon I threw a few misc caps (mostly SP Bachilleres) into my bowl of Wessex Burley Slices. I think it complimented the deep nutty flavors very well. Give it a try...
physiognomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:30 PM   #16
Hydrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan View Post
I am so not worthy of riding the FJR across country in the winter...
Whoa whoa whoa there! You ride an FJR? I think I love you! Waaaay more than Dan does...
Old 11-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #17
Joan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrated View Post
Whoa whoa whoa there! You ride an FJR? I think I love you! Waaaay more than Dan does...
[she laughs] You are welcome to try, but Dan is extra very awfully good. ;d

Pretty good for a camera phone shot:

I STILL think the best cigar+pipe combo is GLPease Robusto blend. WAY good, smokes cool and dry and gets the Joan Seal of Approval. :
Old 11-05-2008, 11:26 AM   #18
jm0307

Another suggestion: JJ Fox's Bankers mixture; hope it wasn't mentioned before. An English blend which contains cigar leaf. The Latakia in this well balanced mixture does not overpower the cigar leaf, which remains noticeable. Used to be one of my go to mixtures.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:32 PM   #19
kayaker

Thanks all for the info and suggestions. If I pick up a pipe I'll check some of this stuff out.