Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #101
Jefft72
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
Jefft72 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: any cyclists/roadies?

The wife and I have started training on a stationary bike in preparation for a 2 day 170mile charity ride in October. Within the next few weeks I am planning on getting out on the road for some short (30m) group rides and see how that goes.

I have a mountain bike that I have had for years and plan to get some semi slicks tires to replace the knobbies. The whole idea of that long of a ride is very daunting, but we have a goal and what seems like a good lead time to prepare for it.
Jefft72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #102
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I'd consider getting a racing or touring bike if you plan to ride that kind of mileage. You lose a lot of energy riding a mountain bike like that.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #103
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Odd looking saddle. Is that Tri specific?
Kinda. They make road ones, too (which I do have on my road bike).

This is what it is. An Adamo.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #104
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I'd consider getting a racing or touring bike if you plan to ride that kind of mileage. You lose a lot of energy riding a mountain bike like that.
X 2....that is a lot of miles in 2 days on a MB....even with slicks.

Honestly, that is a lot of miles in 2 days for most people, even on a road bike. If you don't want to purchase new bikes, train for the entire time on the MB, trainer ect and then rent roadies for the ride, that may be an option?
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #105
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
X 2....that is a lot of miles in 2 days on a MB....even with slicks.

Honestly, that is a lot of miles in 2 days for most people, even on a road bike. If you don't want to purchase new bikes, train for the entire time on the MB, trainer ect and then rent roadies for the ride, that may be an option?
He's going to need some miles on a road bike before attempting a ride like that. The altered riding position will be too much without some saddle time.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #106
Jefft72
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
Jefft72 is on a distinguished road

The wife and I were kind of worried that the situation that you described might come up (MTB used for long distance road).

The ideas for road bikes are on my mind and I will certainly hit you guys up with questions when they come up. Having someone with more experience as a sounding board is invaluable.
Jefft72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #107
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

How much of a difference does it make, going from a MB to a road or touring bike? I'm riding a Specialized Crosstrail Sport with road slicks right now. This is only my second season riding, but doing pretty good getting into slightly longer distances. Doing a 50mi ride on Sunday. Would getting a road bike be worth the money?
Old 05-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #108
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
Would getting a road bike be worth the money?
Think of bikes like cars. If going from point A to B quickly & efficiently is of concern, would you rather do it in a sports car or pickup truck?

The efficiency between a road bike and mountain bike is huge. Take a road bike out for a spin and you'll immediately feel the difference.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #109
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
He's going to need some miles on a road bike before attempting a ride like that. The altered riding position will be too much without some saddle time.
Agreed....but in the end, it still would be a better alternative. Riding position be damned.... Though the position change would be significant, it would still be the better option IMO for that long a ride, even if getting on one for the first time ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
How much of a difference does it make, going from a MB to a road or touring bike? I'm riding a Specialized Crosstrail Sport with road slicks right now. This is only my second season riding, but doing pretty good getting into slightly longer distances. Doing a 50mi ride on Sunday. Would getting a road bike be worth the money?
Night and day, MTB to Roadie... REALLY enjoy doing long supported rides with both & really don't have a favorite. Have even taking the MB on the work commute on occasion, but in the end, besides both being bikes, IMO, two different animals. I cannot speak to the touring cross-sport bikes, I have never even been on one.....
Old 05-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #110
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Take a road bike out for a spin and you'll immediately feel the difference.
Bingo.... It'll probably put a smile on your face as well....
Old 05-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #111
Wanger

Quote:
Think of bikes like cars. If going from point A to B quickly & efficiently is of concern, would you rather do it in a sports car or pickup truck?

The efficiency between a road bike and mountain bike is huge. Take a road bike out for a spin and you'll immediately feel the difference.
...and get a GOOD saddle, as well! If you do end up getting a road bike, I'd suggest going to a shop that actually fits you on the bike. Have them change the saddle to find one that is most comfortable for you. yes you'll have padding in bike shorts, but most stock saddles SUCK. When my wife got her bike, she went through 5 saddles before finding the one that felt best and fit her right.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #112
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Saddle is important for sure, but the padding on the saddle is not really. It's the shape of the saddle that works for you which is the most important. My saddle is hard as can be, yet very comfortable. Most riders don't get much time with a variety of saddles. Heck the one I have been using for the last 10+ years may not even be the most ideal for me, but I would not know...

I use to have the style with the center cut out, but it did not do much for me.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #113
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

In the market again for a roadie. Going to sell the MTB. What do you guys suggest in the $1k range?
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #114
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Brought home my first roadie. Bought a 2006 Trek 5200 off a friend.only about 300 miles on it. Had Bike World here clean it up and tune it up. Sure is freaking fast.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #115
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Brought home my first roadie. Bought a 2006 Trek 5200 off a friend.only about 300 miles on it. Had Bike World here clean it up and tune it up. Sure is freaking fast.

Looks pretty fast, small frame considering how stacked and turned up the stem is. Is the drop where you want?
Old 08-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #116
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Speaking of road bikes, I recently bought a set of Campagnolo Zonda 2-Way fit wheels with Hutchinson Fusion 3 tubeless wheels. Tubeless is the way to go! The handling and cornering is amazing, not to mention how supple the ride is. I thought my old Campy wheels with Michelin Pro Race 3's were great...
Old 08-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #117
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

Nice looking Trek Chip!

I'm not a road-y, for awhile though I was into MTB-ing. However this past year my wife got into road biking. She has a Specialized right now, but got interested in building her own bike for next year, winter project. I picked up a frame for her for her birthday, and she is shopping component packages. Be forewarned I might be in this thread for some help!
Old 08-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #118
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWhisenand View Post
Nice looking Trek Chip!

I'm not a road-y, for awhile though I was into MTB-ing. However this past year my wife got into road biking. She has a Specialized right now, but got interested in building her own bike for next year, winter project. I picked up a frame for her for her birthday, and she is shopping component packages. Be forewarned I might be in this thread for some help!
Go with Campagnolo
Old 08-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #119
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Quote:
Looks pretty fast, small frame considering how stacked and turned up the stem is. Is the drop where you want?
Close enough for now. I drop the saddle a good bit as it was way high. After a few months, I may go have it fitted at a shop.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #120
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Go with Campagnolo
Thanks Moses! I'll pass one your advice, I know she has been taking measurements on the frame to start her process. I have also heard some interest from her on Campagnolo.