Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough
Post today it all hit me...

Today was finally the day i receive my PEB summery packed from the Peblo officer. Im taking it to a lawyer for review before signing but its just been a day where idk what to think about all this. Just over a year ago i signed my contract to serve and now its being cut short due to(IMO) the lamest injury i could ever get.

About 8 months ago i tore the larbum in my hip during a morning run it seems. To me this is just pathetic after doing 8 years of dance and 2 years of cycling 10mile a day before my joining the service.

The army has decided to discharge me due to the fact that therapy is not helping the injury at all. It is only helping keep pain down to about 5(on the classic 10 scale), without therapy im about a 7 with need for painkillers. TRI-care does not believes that the surgery i need is experimental, so they will not approve of it. They feel i should either stay on pain killers or receive a full hip replacement at 21.

that being said, its all finally hit me that i know must go back to school, deal with this injury and figure out how im going to get a job. I dont want to turn this into a pity party one bit but wanted to explain for those who maybe wondering why such a young kid is leaving the army after a short service period, and also why i can be quiet scatterbrained at times. This is because quiet honestly, for me this is a lot to deal with and im still kinda trying to figure out how. Thoughts suggestions and advice on how to deal with this and what kinds of jobs i should look at getting as a nearly null experienced 21yr/old would be greatly appreciated.

for the horrible grammar for which this post contains. Also its unnecessary length.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: today it all hit me...

Hang in there and things will work out.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (53)
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about

Devan,
My advice is to get a degree in Engineering, you have a good school right there in HSV at UAH. I am guessing you will be considered a disabled veteran, that can help when it comes time to get a job, especially with the military or Federal Government. I work as a civilian engineer for the USN. It is a very good job. PM me and I will give you my work # if you ever want to talk about this.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Devan, you will be ok. Take the 9/11 bill and run with it, you made it though some of the toughest parts of the military and will run circles around the college kids from the learned discipline. And keep your chin up, your personality will take you a long way
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbad View Post
Devan,
My advice is to get a degree in Engineering, you have a good school right there in HSV at UAH. I am guessing you will be considered a disabled veteran, that can help when it comes time to get a job, especially with the military or Federal Government. I work as a civilian engineer for the USN. It is a very good job. PM me and I will give you my work # if you ever want to talk about this.
i would but i am terrible with math, im looking for a business degree. In Marketing or logistics.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
Superbad
Have My Own Room

PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about

I would suggest Logistics. Once again a military background can carry you very far in this field. There is a great Logistics internship NAVSEA offers, my door is always open if you want to talk. Make sure you get a degree in a marketable field, don't waste the chance.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Ever thought of becoming a Physical Therapist? You have some background having to go through it yourself and there's always going to be a need for people in the profession.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

I have no advice but wanted to wish you good luck.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #9
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Whatever you do decide, get into something you like. Just because some jobs may pay more, there's something to say about a job that you enjoy getting up to do everyday.
Posted via Mobile Device
Chainsaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
Superbad
Have My Own Room

PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Whatever you do decide, get into something you like. Just because some jobs may pay more, there's something to say about a job that you enjoy getting up to do everyday.
Posted via Mobile Device
I can't disagree with this.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

That is sage advice. I worked a job for 19 and 1/2 years that I liked ok for about the first ten, then absolutely loathed for the last 7 or 8. It paid the bills, but that's all I can say about it.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

Make sure you get set up at your local Veterans Administration hospital and I would also go speak with a DAV (Disabled American Veterans) rep (go see the DAV rep first). You are entitled to collect disability. How much depends on what rating you get, I.E. 20% disabled etc. Good luck Bro.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #13
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Hey Devan -- you are a smart guy and I think things will work out for you. Figure out what you like to do and what you are good at and pursue it. You are young enough yet to be able to tackle a new career and I have confidence in your ability to succeed!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #14
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

Road Trip. Sort yourself Brother. Your Lost. Take some time to explore, thought provoking and mind numbing experiences. Truly find what you love to do and do it.

That's all I got. Bobby is good people. Pick his brain while the opportunity is there.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #15
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Devan my heart goes out to you. Remember it is your life not some VA rep or some PEBLO. Fight for what you feel is right. If there is science and fact behind a different surgery have a consult with your PCM and have them include notes about talking to you about it. If they still say no because it is not approved then go to a civilian leader I.E. Congress or Senate. Now if you can not find that science or you are not a candidate for that surgery dont go making a big stir. You may not know but I am in similar shoes only at 15years. I have learned a lot so if you have questions please PM me.

Take you time and have a plan. Have the plan start with a nice smoke the day you get out and say good bye to your last step as the sun sets and prepare to say hello when the sun rises to a new path.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:19 AM   #16
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

everything will be ok. leaving the military is always a hard thing to do cause you are used to that life style and now you feel like you are just dumped back into the world. everything will be ok.

look for a job to pay the bills while you decide what feild you wanna go into.

dont rush anything brother it will all be ok. you know we are here for you.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:13 AM   #17
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Damn sorry to hear this Devan. I know I bust your balls alot, but I really hope you do find something you enjoy. Like Chingas said, go out and explore. You're still very young and have a lot of life ahead of you. Take a trip, go somewhere you've never been, enjoy life. You only got one.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:22 AM   #18
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaDooley View Post
Make sure you get set up at your local Veterans Administration hospital and I would also go speak with a DAV (Disabled American Veterans) rep (go see the DAV rep first). You are entitled to collect disability. How much depends on what rating you get, I.E. 20% disabled etc. Good luck Bro.
Looking to call them this weekend before I sign. Looking at an initial 20% from the army then adjusted by the VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
Road Trip. Sort yourself Brother. Your Lost. Take some time to explore, thought provoking and mind numbing experiences. Truly find what you love to do and do it.

That's all I got. Bobby is good people. Pick his brain while the opportunity is there.
If things work out, I like this road trip you speak of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_B View Post
Devan my heart goes out to you. Remember it is your life not some VA rep or some PEBLO. Fight for what you feel is right. If there is science and fact behind a different surgery have a consult with your PCM and have them include notes about talking to you about it. If they still say no because it is not approved then go to a civilian leader I.E. Congress or Senate. Now if you can not find that science or you are not a candidate for that surgery dont go making a big stir. You may not know but I am in similar shoes only at 15years. I have learned a lot so if you have questions please PM me.

Take you time and have a plan. Have the plan start with a nice smoke the day you get out and say good bye to your last step as the sun sets and prepare to say hello when the sun rises to a new path.
Thanks for this advice, it should prove helpful. Also, good luck with your own situation.

Bobby, ill get ahold of you soon. I need to get this paper work delt with first.

Posted via droid
Old 01-04-2011, 05:25 AM   #19
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

My wife runs marathons and developed a labrum tear as well. That is a real tough injury to treat, she has just been pushing through it. It sounds like your tear is worse though, hers is not so painful.

I think the guys are right about figuring out what you really want to do before starting school. School is expensive (take it from me I just started grad school), so it is best to get it right the first time. Best of luck.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:25 AM   #20
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Sorry to hear about your injury Devan. Have you consulted an attorney yet? The military make be liable for your injury and responsible for future rehab. You may want to seek a civilian attorney because as I remember when I served, they tend to look out for the militaries best interest.

Always keep your head up brother, things happen for a reason that we may not yet understand. Your path has already been chosen, just try your best to follow it.
HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote