Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 05-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
PenguinsFan88

Default Random Question About Lighters

Hi all, first time poster here with some questions.

So I have a friend who'se used a Colibri Firebird Quorum for awhile but the other day he told me it finally bit the dust. For those of you whom are unaware about that style of lighter, the one he uses lights via a little button on the side (like how those Colibri Enterprise triple flame torches work) that you push inwards with your thumb. Due to having limited muscle range and ability and dexterity on one side because of a birth defect, my friend is unable to push down on the ignition button of most lighters with his right thumb if he's a lighter in his right hand while he's holding a cigar with his left (and perfectly fine) left hand. Yet somehow he's been able to push the side button on his Colibri Firebird Quorum with his right hand with no trouble. Practice I guess.

Anywho, do any other more reputable torch companies (i.e. Xikar) make torches that are light via buttons on the side that you would push inwards with your thumb? I was thinking of surprising him with a new (and better quality) lighter if I could find one for him that lights that in that manner so he can use it.

I do know about the Xikar Executive single jet flame lighter, but have read quite a few reviews that state it's quite unreliable. Is that true?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated guys.

P.S. To give you a clearer example of what I mean, this is the lighter that he's been using. You light it by pressing your thumb in where those 3 little lines are on the side at the top.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random Question About Lighters

The Xikar Executive has been very good to my wife. She loves it. Mosey on over to the New Inmates section and introduce yourself.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Tiger makes some inexpensive, fairly reliable thumb actuated designs. Search Amazon for them.
4-15 bucks as I recall, treat them like Ronson Jetlites, if they tank, toss it and grab the next.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
PenguinsFan88

Forgot to mention I'm in Ontario, Canada.

Due to my locaton, Amazon.com might be a bit of a problem. Are there any Canadian site alternatives?

And I thought sending a torch lighter from the US to Canada through the mail was a no-no anyway?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I love my Xikar lighters, and if there is ever a problem you can send it back and they will fix/replace it for you.

I bought a Colibri lighter, and it worked 1 time and that was it. So, I try to send it back to them, but they went out of business without telling anyone. Now, they are back in business, but I say screw them. I am never buying Colibri again the rest of my life.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Xikar that is almost identical to that. It even has a sleeve. It works great, but I have to be real careful refilling it. It's very easy to click it while refilling, and it caused me to eat a giant fireball once. It wasn't pretty.
This is the one I have.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I have to agree with the Xikar. If it stops working, they fix it or give you another one.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
I love my Xikar lighters, and if there is ever a problem you can send it back and they will fix/replace it for you.

I bought a Colibri lighter, and it worked 1 time and that was it. So, I try to send it back to them, but they went out of business without telling anyone. Now, they are back in business, but I say screw them. I am never buying Colibri again the rest of my life.
Didn't they do a deal where their workers showed up to work and the doors were locked and a sign was on the door that posted a date the following week when they could retrieve their personal effects?
Imagine if someone's medicine was at work?
I'm with you, brother. Colibri can suck it.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I should mention, I bet Xikar would ship to Canada. I just linked Lighters Direct because that's where I found a pic of my lighter. I wouldn't buy there, I don't know if they're trustworthy or not. Sorry for being lazy!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
PenguinsFan88

Yeah I do know about the Xikar Executive single jet flame lighter, but have read quite a few reviews that state it's quite unreliable. Is that true?

Do Xikar make any other or better lighters that you activate on the side with your thumb?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #11
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Executive pic:

Versa:

XTX single:

I have used the big brother table lighters of the last two styles at B&Ms with good results.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #12
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Didn't they do a deal where their workers showed up to work and the doors were locked and a sign was on the door that posted a date the following week when they could retrieve their personal effects?
Imagine if someone's medicine was at work?
I'm with you, brother. Colibri can suck it.
I believe so.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #13
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I have a Xikar that is almost identical to that. It even has a sleeve. It works great, but I have to be real careful refilling it. It's very easy to click it while refilling, and it caused me to eat a giant fireball once. It wasn't pretty.
That made me laugh!

Here is a pricey one,Refillable Butane Torch Lighter: Tonino Lamborghini Il Toro :

Bugatti B1:
Old 05-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan88 View Post
Yeah I do know about the Xikar Executive single jet flame lighter, but have read quite a few reviews that state it's quite unreliable. Is that true?

Do Xikar make any other or better lighters that you activate on the side with your thumb?
I have had zero issue with that Xikar, it fires every time without fail.
They make lighters with all kinds of goofy triggers. Shop through their lighters page.
Someone already mentioned it, but you can return any Xikar anything, anywhere, or ship it back to them and they'll repair or replace it free, forever.
I fail to see how you can beat that.
A lot of lighters can get fussy about what kind of butane you put in them, or so it's said. Personally, I don't think it's the butane as much as how they get full of air and need purged from time to time.
I've found that if I use butane with a metal tip, I have nothing but problems. If I use butane with a plastic tip and purge the tip before I fill, I have zero problems.
It's a crazy mystery. Lighters have always been a pain in the ass for me.
I have the best luck with table-top models. I still haven't found my table-top lighters, they got packed away when I moved and they're still lost. When I find them, it'll solve all my problems.
Xikar has a side trigger table top, you might want to look at that?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #15
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

ST Dupont Xtend lighter is one button push lighter similar to your request.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #16
PenguinsFan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
ST Dupont Xtend lighter is one button push lighter similar to your request.
As nice as those look, they cost $300+ Canadian. No way in hell I can afford that.

As a poor and only occasional smoker myself (due to being poor), for that kinda $ I could buy a really good box of smokes for myself I'm sure.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #17
Ciro
Enjoying the Show!

Trading: (11)
SLR
Ciro has disabled reputation

I purchased the Bugatti B-1 and love it.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...BUGLIT2&cat=13
Ciro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #18
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan88 View Post
As nice as those look, they cost $300+ Canadian. No way in hell I can afford that.

As a poor and only occasional smoker myself (due to being poor), for that kinda $ I could buy a really good box of smokes for myself I'm sure.
I don't like to assume someone's pocket is only so deep. I hear ya, that is a lot of money for a lighter. One tip, don't buy an Colibri or Prometheus lighters.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #19
saigon68

FWIW: one Colibri & it s--t the bed. Now use Coleman Green Piston Wind Resistant Lighter. Works fine for about $18.00.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #20
BC-Axeman

Here's a random question.

What makes a lighter not light, even though it has good spark, good fuel, and will produce a flame if you light it with another lighter?