Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Modern TV question

Up north, I have an old (1980s era) TV - we watch DVDs and VHS videos on it. I'd like to replace it, for it isn't a very good picture. But I am concerned about the fact that in the winter, I shut down everything in the shack and it gets below freezing - sometimes way below freezing.

If I were to replace it, do modern TVs withstand freezing temps, especially the newer screens?

I don't want to have to have that as another thing I have to take home when I winterize the 'shack'.

Thanks for your help.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation
Default Re: Modern TV question

Someone asked this question concerning LCD TV's & freezing temps and here are the answers from LG, Panasonic, Sony & Samsung (so he says anyways...)

http://aolanswers.com/questions/elec..._9515616517181

Yes they can. I asked the manufacturers: - LG, Panasonic, Sony and Samsung. Here are the emails I received from the experts:

The storage temperature for these units is -20 to 60 degrees Celsius. Regards David Herbert LG Canada

Please be advised that the recommended storage temperature should be between -20 Celsius and +60 Celsius. However,thetelevision cannot be plugged in until the television's internal temperature is 0-40 degrees Celsius. Please ensure that you unplug the television prior to storing it, and that the television is well warmed-up before plugging it in after the storage period. Regards, Panasonic Canada Inc. - Customer Care Centre - bg

Thank you for submitting your inquiry to Samsung.For all 3 different technologies, LCD, DLP or PLASMA, the manufacturer recommends a storage temperature (TV off mode) between -4oF to 113oF (-20oC to 45oC). Same storage temperatures for all. We also recommend that regardless of what type you buy, that you unplug the TV from the wall socket when not in use for a very long period and to let TV warm up by just plugging it for 12 hours before operating the next time. - Samsung Limitless Support

I'm glad to provide you the information regarding the operating temperature and storage temperature of the Sony TV. The television can be placed in storage with environmental temperatures between -4 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit (F) and 20-90% Relative Humidity (RH). The recommended temperature for proper operation is between 41°F to 96°F. Proper operation outside of this temperature range cannot be guaranteed. Thank you for your time. Sony of Canada, Ltd. C6EL Jason

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I guess I better not buy and leave such a television up there. It will get below -4 degrees at some point in the winter.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

-4*?
You should move camp. To Florida.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
-4*?
You should move camp. To Florida.
Why?

I know there are many here who head south for the winter. I'd personally like to head way north (or way south) for the summers as it is too hot for me ***HERE***.

I don't mind winters. But I despise summers.

So, on a more serious note. If these TVs are rated to withstand -4, if it could possibly get lower than than for an extended period, should I not take one up there?

Thanks.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I just realized I am the "Anti-Rev".

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I just realized I am the "Anti-Rev".

Anti-Rev? Or, the Ver. (Ver is the opposite of Rev)
Old 10-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Todd,
Find yourself a good used "tube" television. Mine stays in the (uninsulated, unheated) sunroom year-round and I've had no issues in 8 years.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
Todd,
Find yourself a good used "tube" television. Mine stays in the (uninsulated, unheated) sunroom year-round and I've had no issues in 8 years.
I can get a flat screen HDTV for under $200. A good tube runs about the $100, they're collector's editions. And the picture wouldn't be much better than what is up there.

You see, the one up there works. It is compared to the TVs at home that the picture quality sucks. I recently had something happen by which I came into about $150 worth of disposable income (read funeral service). I was thinking that an upgrade to the TV up north might be nice, especially if it remaining in the deep freeze for a few months isn't a problem. Maybe I'll get one and just bring it home for the winter - these flat screen TVs are pretty easy to move around and are very light.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I can get a flat screen HDTV for under $200. A good tube runs about the $100, they're collector's editions. And the picture wouldn't be much better than what is up there.

You see, the one up there works. It is compared to the TVs at home that the picture quality sucks. I recently had something happen by which I came into about $150 worth of disposable income (read funeral service). I was thinking that an upgrade to the TV up north might be nice, especially if it remaining in the deep freeze for a few months isn't a problem. Maybe I'll get one and just bring it home for the winter - these flat screen TVs are pretty easy to move around and are very light.
Seems like the best solution to me. Hold onto the original box and packaging for transport/storage.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're onto something now, Todd.
I'd drag a tube tv up there because there's a couple big ones in the basement. If you asked around I'm certain someone has a 30" backbreaker they'd LOVE for you to take out of their basement, just like me.
Nobody would ever take it if the camp robbers show up. The fancy lcd tv they'd take, or even worse, smash it and leave it there so your head will explode when you see it.
I think I'd get a smallish flat panel that's easy to drag back and forth. It's not that much trouble and you could use it at home if you needed it. Maybe in the kitchen or something if you don't have one there now?
And me, I'll take the heat. I don't even start getting comfortable until it's 75*. I don't take off my hoodie till it's 80*. I'm convinced I was adopted from people who lived on the equator.