Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 01-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Post your favorite "diet" recipes here

Looking to hear of suggestions...I'll post some of mine here as I'm doing my weight watchers diet.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
gravelman

Default Re: Post your favorite "diet" recipes here

For post workouts, I enjoy a mixed egg platter if you will. Egg whites, as many as you feel necessary, diced peppers of your taste preference. I like red, yellow, and orange bell peppers for this. Turkey or chicken. Scramble the eggs and add in meat and peppers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and as they are about done I put 3 capfuls of franks red hot or a hot sauce, and then sprinkle some cayenne pepper on it. Give it a few more flips and mixing to spread the sauce and pepper around. ENJOY!!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Chicken wing shake. Perfect for post gastric bypass.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
d'am
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
Bolivar
d'am is on a distinguished road

Oatmeal! Buy some old-fashioned oatmeal. Avoid the instant stuff, since it has fewer nutrients and less complex carbs/fiber (making it less filling AND less healthy.)

As you're bringing the recommended amount of water to a boil, add a pinch of salt and a chopped banana to the water. Cook the oatmeal until it's tender (~5mins.) Or add some brown sugar and cinnamon instead of the banana.

Omelets. Mix one or two whole eggs (including yolks) to three, five ,ten, or however many egg whites you want (if you do this regularly, consider Egg Beaters or a similar product--it's all egg white, despite the fake color.) Heat a pan hot with just a little oil, and quickly saute mushrooms, bell peppers, spinch, or whatever sounds good. A little cooking brings out some of their flavor. Then turn the heat off (or down to low), add the eggs, and keep stirring just until it sets. Add an herb or two just before the omelet finishes.

Or as an alternative omelet, simply add salsa with the eggs. Simple but good.

And there's always ground beef. It doesn't sound like much, but it scratches the old caveman instinct in all the right ways. Just buy some extra-lean ground beef, add something for flavoring like rooster sauce or Worcestershire, a little salt and pepper, and eat it plain. If you find the right seasoning, it's a nice simple dish.
d'am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

My routine:

For breakfast....3-4 eggs (I keep only 2 yolks) and a slice of whole wheat bread. Protein is key!

Snack...have some protein!

Lunch.....Half a sandwich and baby spinach salad with some feta cheese and veggies. Iceberg/Romain lettuce provides no nutrition.

Dinner....Baked chicken (feel free to make a rub: I use montreal steak seasoning) and some veggies. If you want a starch I'd go with brown rice or small serving of mashed potatoes.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Eat what you want, just not alot of it. It is that simple.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Glass of water and a BJ. : -10 calories!

just a

Last edited by Subvet642; 02-11-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Subvet642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
Glass of water and a BJ. : -10 calories!

just a

My new 200 calorie breakfast consists of 1 container of yogurt (I like Yoplait Strawberry Shortcake) and 1/4cup of granola. However I don't count the 1000 cups of coffee I have through the day so I'm sure I blow any calorie count.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

I like the way Michael Pollan (Omnivore's Dilemma) put it.
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants"

Seriously though I don't think you can go wrong with any kind of seasoned sauteed vegetables over brown rice. The addition of beans or small amounts of eggs, fish, or meat will get you your protein without too much fat. Add fruit for dessert and oatmeal for breakfast and you can't get much healthier. If the diet is for weight loss purposes only then exercise will be more important than any diet IMO.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

I love fish "steaks" and have been buying them frozen from Trader Joe's lately and grilling them. Ahi tuna, mahi-mahi, salmon, etc ... Tasty and convenient! Easy to add more flavor with spices or a marinade, too.

In the morning it's steel cut oats and a banana. Very filling and good fiber. I make a batch up Sunday night and eat it all week.

Those are a couple of my healthier options I do enjoy.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post

My new 200 calorie breakfast consists of 1 container of yogurt (I like Yoplait Strawberry Shortcake) and 1/4cup of granola. However I don't count the 1000 cups of coffee I have through the day so I'm sure I blow any calorie count.
Coffee= almost 0 calories.. it's the sugar or cream if you are of that persuasion.
Hell, if coffee itself was caloric, I would be as big as a Dutch whale at a chicken wing shake drinking contest.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #12
gravelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by timj219 View Post
I like the way Michael Pollan (Omnivore's Dilemma) put it.
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants"

Seriously though I don't think you can go wrong with any kind of seasoned sauteed vegetables over brown rice. The addition of beans or small amounts of eggs, fish, or meat will get you your protein without too much fat. Add fruit for dessert and oatmeal for breakfast and you can't get much healthier. If the diet is for weight loss purposes only then exercise will be more important than any diet IMO.
This is a great post; Eating what you like and less of it...

A way to boost metabolism is to eat less per meal, but more meals per day. I am unaware of your eating habits now, but it would be good to eat around 6 times a day, and include GOOD fats such as fish oil and almonds. The thing that gets most people is the sugars: sodas, creamers, butter, and dressings. A simple way to go about a food is to look at the nutritional facts...the less ingredients it has, the more likely it is better for you. All of the ingredients added to foods are by-products and are over-manufactured. They are simply fillers that are not healthy. Hope this helps some
Old 02-12-2011, 05:11 AM   #13
Patrick B
Feeling at Home

Trading: (6)
Patrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura about

I've been working out like crazy and eating healthy for a solid year now. Down from 300 to 250 and getting strong again, which I like. Going through a muscle building cycle now so I'm enjoying eating enough to be full. I shoot for around 250 grams of protein a day, so I'm constantly eating egg whites, skim milk protein shakes, fish, chicken, and some lean beef thrown in once in a while. Lots of salads, complex carbs, fruits and veggies.

I like to make a dish my daughter named Chicken Crockpot Taco Surprise. Throw a pack of boneless skinless chicken in the crockpot then add a can of black beans, a can of corn, a cup of salsa, some chopped onion, and a packet of taco seasoning. Cook all day then shred the chicken. Eat plain or with rice (I skip the rice) and serve with low fat sour cream. It's healthy and filling.

I'm going to make a healthy chicken Parmesan Monday night. I'm baking the chicken and using one of the healthier pastas. Hope it's tasty!

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...p?recipe=34039
Patrick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #14
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

1/2 cup of 7-grain oatmeal with recommended water, a 1/4 cup raisins, some cinammon and cook as directed. The 7-grain is filling and doesn't end up like wallpaper paste.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #15
gravelman

Patrick, that sounds like a great recipe, can't wait to try it! Working out and eating right is something that has become part of my life, and I am glad it has. Congrats on the weight loss and continued strength gains, that is awesome!!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #16
slickster81
Ein weiteres Bier bitte

First Name: John
Trading: (30)
Partagas
slickster81 will become famous soon enough

Whipped this up as a lower calorie alternative to the salad that shows up with the ramen noodles, nuts, raisins, and shiteload of calories and fat....you can up the sweetner if you like it sweeter, I like it tangy, with a bit of kick from the red pepper.

Slick’s Sweet N Sour Asian style Veggie Salad

Makes approx 8, 1 cup servings.

NOTE** Chop the veggies about ¾” (or twice the size of a garbanzo bean)
3 C. Chopped broccoli, stems and all
3 C. Chopped cauliflower, stems and all
1 C. Chopped carrot
1 can garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed and drained again

Dressing

¼ C. STRONG chicken broth, use a low sodium bullion cube, or chicken base concentrate. (basically, if the package says "use # amount for 1 cup", use that amount for 1/4 cup and you'll be fine)
¾ C. White vinegar
2 Tb. Splenda (or white sugar)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
1 ½ tsp Sesame Oil (toasted sesame oil, like Kame’ brand)
2 Tb Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Mix the veggies, add the dressing and toss well, marinate at room temperature, tossing often, at least 2 hours. This salad just gets better the longer it sits, we do the room temp thing, then put in a sealed container and refrigerate to eat the next day.

I tried cutting the Olive oil altogether, but the taste falls off considerably, and the dressing does not stick to the veggies, marinating them evenly. The olive oil adds flavor, plus omega 3's so it stays.

Bottom line, the original recipe I referred to uses 2/3 cup of salad oil and 1 cup of sugar....so I don't think I did too bad coming in with these values.

Nutritional values per serving.
Calories - 102
Fat - 4.75 gm
Sat. Fat - 0.63 gm
Cholest. - 0
Protein - 3.38 gm
Sodium - 373.25 mg
Carbs - 12.63 gm
Fiber - 3.63 gm
Sugar - 2.25 * if splenda was used

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++
Turkey burgers
Yield 4 BIG burgers, or 6 "normal sized".

1 Tb. Olive oil. **
1 lb. Fresh ground turkey.
1 Large Egg White (or 2 small, need minimum 1/4 cup)
1Tb. Maggi Seasoning
1 Tsp. Fresh ground black pepper.
1 Tsp. Garlic powder.
1 Tsp. Onion powder.
½ Tsp. Cayenne pepper.
2 Tsp. Dried dill.
1 C TVP prepared and well drained (squeezed dry)

Combine all ingredients and allow to set 10-15 minutes.
Form into patties.

** If pan cooking, keep oil separate, if grilling, add oil to meat mixture.

To pan cook:
Heat oil over medium high heat, and add patties, allow to cook 5 minutes, or until firm enough to flip. Flip once, and allow to cook another 5-7 minutes.

To grill:
Get your preferred equipment ready, and have at it!
Old 02-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #17
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I regularly eat bacon explosion while I'm on my Atkins (low carb) diet. It's all meat with the exception of a little seasoning and BBQ sauce.

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/
Old 02-16-2011, 02:30 AM   #18
Patrick B
Feeling at Home

Trading: (6)
Patrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura about

The chicken parm was delicious, couldn't really tell it was missing all the oil and cheese. It will be made again soon!
Patrick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:33 AM   #19
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
I regularly eat bacon explosion while I'm on my Atkins (low carb) diet. It's all meat with the exception of a little seasoning and BBQ sauce.

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/
emopunker2004 is offline   Reply With Quote