Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Old Henry Robusto

This Holts houseblend is created by Don Pepin Garcia from Nicaraguan tobacco with a Nicaraguan Corojo or a maduro wrapper from the Connecticut Valley area. The name comes from the dog of the Holts owner that wanted a cigar with this name and his picture on the band in remembrance of his old pal. I can't say that it's a beautiful picture though, but then again, show me a picture of a bulldog that I think is pretty and I'll send you some cigars. With a picture like this on the band I just hope it isn't a dog rocket.

The 5 x 50 robusto comes in cellophane and once unpacked I can smell a hay & barnyard aroma. The wrapper looks smooth & oily but feels silky and doesn't have a lot of veins. The construction isn't what I expect from a Don Pepin cigar, I can feel some soft spots but to my surprise the predraw isn't loose because of the soft spots. Quite the opposite, the draw is a bit hard and leaves me with a raisin & pepper flavor on my palate.

I taste coffee and wood with a firm dose of black pepper. The pepper is the dominant flavor with wood as support after half an inch. The coffee is gone by then. After an inch I can taste some toasty flavors with some wood.

Halfway the support is all wood again with a sweet and peppery aftertaste en far far away a little bit of chocolate. The sweetness grows a bit in strength after 2/3rd but the pepper is still dominant with toast and wood as support.

The draw is a bit hard but I get enough, medium thick, smoke from this Old Henry. The ash is medium gray and quite firm. The burn is good. This is a medium bodied medium flavored smoke in my book.

Would I buy this cigar again? If I get back to Philly and Holts has a nice offer, I will get some more.

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 6 / 10
Draw: 6 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
Old 02-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Old Henry maduro robusto

Nice review, though you didn't smoke the maduro. The maduro has black on the band where the red is. I like the maduro more than the natural in these, it seems to be better balanced.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Thanks for the great review as always Ferdie.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review Ferdie. I LOVE these sticks.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

First Name: Beau
Trading: (4)
Razorhog is on a distinguished road

Great review! I've wanted to try those and the Casa Royales for a while.
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

What Timing:

ORDER TOLL FREE: 1-800-523-1641
24-Hour Special with Free Shipping!

Old Henry Corona
12 cigars only $34.95 (35% savings!)

http://www.holts.com/category.html?id=201663

I am not associated with the retailer or manufacturer just passing on an offer related to the review.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: Old Henry robusto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
Nice review, though you didn't smoke the maduro. The maduro has black on the band where the red is. I like the maduro more than the natural in these, it seems to be better balanced.
Asked the ToE to edit it.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Trading: (2)
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Old Henry Robusto

Very nice review.

I've tried these a few times and they just havn't won me over for some reason.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Nice review. I enjoy these. I have a dog named Henry, so I guess I have a soft spot in my heart for these.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
Coz77
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mark
Trading: (1)
Coz77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
This Holts houseblend is created by Don Pepin Garcia from Nicaraguan tobacco with a Nicaraguan Corojo or a maduro wrapper from the Connecticut Valley area. The name comes from the dog of the Holts owner that wanted a cigar with this name and his picture on the band in remembrance of his old pal. I can't say that it's a beautiful picture though, but then again, show me a picture of a bulldog that I think is pretty and I'll send you some cigars.
Lots of Pretty Bulldogs here Ferdie

Nice review too brother!
Coz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #11
yes please

a better Pepin in this price range is the Tat white label (Atlantic Cigars); better draw, more diverse flavor profile, medium strength.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #12
ProBe
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jose
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
ProBe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorhog View Post
Great review! I've wanted to try those and the Casa Royales for a while.

Same here.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:30 AM   #13
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

I bought some of these last summer and let them sleep for about a year in my coolerdor. I smoked one last night and was very impressed. I had none of the cunstruction issues that Ferdie mentions above. Thew draw was perfect. Really a lovely cigar. Mine was the natural wrapper, probably more mild than the maddie wrapper, but I really enjoyed it. I'd call it a "medium" bodied cigar, with some background chocolate and coffee notes. With the economy being what it is I'm not buying cigars right now, but if I were I'd buy more of these for sure. I'm glad I've got another 11 in the humi.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #14
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

I'm glad they've worked out for some of you. I bought a fiver of these and they had the single most pungent ammonia smell I have ever encountered. Even after 6 months, they were unsmokeable!

Now, I suppose I got a bad batch. But, if so, how did they get out of Pepin's vaunted Tabacalera? There are so many other Pepin cigars that I can happily smoke and not be reminded of those sticks.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #15
scoop

I've only had one but it was really good. It was a natural with no burn issues at all and was very tasty. Once I get the cigar funds again these will be on the list.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #16
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

I have tried both varieties (there is now a conn wrap I have not tried). I enjoyed the Nat wrap very much but I really enjoyed the Maduro with some age on it. I just picked up a box of the Maduros.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #17
Aldebaran

great review and thanks for it I've been thinking about getting a few of these for a bit.

the english bulldog is a great looking dog as are all of molosser dogs
Old 08-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #18
bsmokin
Slippin... Fast.

First Name: Bryan
Trading: (15)
RA
bsmokin is on a distinguished road

These are great cigars for the price! I really like them... good spice and flavor. Thanks for the review
bsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote