Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-18-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Padron 1964 anniversary 'A' maduro

Usually these Padron 1964 anniversary 'A' is too rich for my blood, the price tag of those puppies is € 38.00 euro here in The Netherlands but recently I visited the Oliva Cigar Lounge, the cigar shop owned by the importer of Oliva, Fuente, Padron, Don Pepin Garcia and a few others and he showed me a box of these Padron 1964 anniversary 'A' with the wrong tax band of € 18,25 so I had to buy one. Now, I might have to explain the Dutch tobacco law a bit otherwise you might think "why didn't he just correct the price?". Well, tobacco prices are fixed in The Netherlands. The importer sets a price that includes his mark up and the shops mark up, then he has to add the taxes and that price is printed on a tax band. Once that tax band is placed on the cigar the importer and the shop owner are not allowed to remove the band, so this was bad luck for the importer and good luck for me. As soon as I bought the cigar I knew this would be my birthday smoke, and that was yesterday.

The cigar looks great, the leathery looking wrapper is dark and oily, even the veins on this 8¼x50 box pressed cigar are good looking. The band is tasteful and even has a serial number printed on it, which is created after some counterfeits were found. The construction feels good and the cigar has a mild wood smell. The predraw is great and I taste a mild spicy wood.

I taste wood and coffee, medium strong. After an inch I also taste a mild herbal flavor. The flavors are quite unique, different than any other cigar I've smoked. I also taste a mild chocolate. After two inch the flavors consist of a mild creamy, herbal chocolate with some wood. The coffee has gone. The cream gets milder while the herbal flavor grows in strength. The wood is the main flavor without becoming dominant.

Right before I hit the halfway point I also taste something sweet with the mix of herbs and wood. After the halfway point an earthy flavor joins the flavor party in my mouth. The sweetness has disappeared and I get a nut flavor in the aftertaste. Near the end I can also taste some chocolate again.

The smoke time of this giant is two hours and thirty five minutes. I got a decent amount of medium thick white smoke that gets ticker along the way. The draw is great and due to the length the smoke is quite cool in the beginning. The firm as has a salt and pepper color scheme. The burn is great, straight as an arrow. This cigar is full flavored and full bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? For € 18.25 yes, for € 38.00 no.

Appearance: 9 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 9 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
Old 08-18-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Padron 1964 anniversary 'A' maduro

Nice review Ferdinand!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:01 AM   #3
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Sweet....I have one of these in my humi, but haven't found the time.....yet!!...nice review Ferdie!
Old 08-18-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Awesome Way To Celebrate Your Birthday, Ferdie! Thanks For The Review Of One Of My Favorite "Special Sticks"!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Damn fine review of a great stick!!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Thanks for the review! This is one of the Padron's that I have not tried; if I ever find a "deal" on them I will have to give them a try!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Thanks for the review! This is one of the Padron's that I have not tried; if I ever find a "deal" on them I will have to give them a try!
I think the best "deal" on these is probably to buy the sampler five pack of the five different vitolas, of which the A is one of them.
You can find them around $80-85 on average, which at the end of the day, is not a bad price at all given you are getting five different cigars, to include the somewhat pricey Torpedo.