Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-02-2010, 05:14 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Rocky Patel 1990 vintage torpedo

I smoked two Rocky Patel 1990 Vintage's before, a robusto in 2007 and a 'A' last week and both cigars didn't agree with my palate. I still got myself a Rocky Patel 1990 Vintage torpedo as the importer stops importing them for The Netherlands and is having a blown out of the last remaining boxes at his Oliva Cigar Lounge/NPU cigarshop in Den Bosch. You can get a box of these 6¼x52 cellophane wrapped smokes for €80.00 while it lasts.

The maduro broadleaf wrapper has a nice chocolate brown color and contains a lot of veins. The wrapper is also shiny and oily. I love the classy bands. The construction is great and I get a pretty good predraw that reminds me of a mild pepper. The cigar has a unique smell of dry autumn leaves.

I taste a somewhat bitter earthy flavor with some wood. The bitterness disappears soon and the wood becomes the main flavor with some spices in the aftertaste. After an inch I also taste a hint of chocolate. Wood is still the main flavor with some scorched earth and chocolate on the background.

Halfway the wood turns into a nut flavor. The sweet chocolate has disappeared, just like the other flavors. The nut flavor gains some strength and a herbal freshness joins in.

The smoke time of this cigar is exactly two hours. The draw is good and I hardly had any burn issues. I got a lot of smoke that was medium thick. The ash is light colored and quite firm. The wrapper tore on some places while smoking. This cigar is medium bodied and medium flavored.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, most Rocky Patel's just don't do it for me and this is one of them.

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 6 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 6 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
Old 08-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rocky Patel 1990 vintage torpedo

Another fine Ferdie. I am with you on the Rocky Patels...I just haven't found many sticks from his line that excite me. While I do enjoy the Edge Maduro, Sumatra and the Decade...everything else I've had just didn't WOW me.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Nice review. I have had a few of those and have enjoyed them.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Trading: (10)
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

I haven't had a RP vintage in quite some time. I used to like them...but I believe that my tastes have drastically changed within this past year so I likely would not any more. I've tried a few sticks recently that I used to love and they are falling flat for me.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

I agree, are good cigars, but not great. Nice review!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Nice review Ferdie. I agree w/ you on not liking these much at all. I do however like the Vintage 92, but only in the small RG (Perfecto & Petite Corona). The larger RG's are too mild and get boring. The small guys have a little spice that I like.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:00 AM   #7
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Yeah I had a vintage 1990 robusto didn't really do it for me the Olde World Reserve was much better.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
MikeyRocks
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
Partagas
MikeyRocks is on a distinguished road

Glad I'm not the only one. Bought a sampler of 10 from Cbid a while back and regret it. Also tried the RP Edge Lite and I've come to the conclusion that RPs are not for me.
MikeyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

I love the RP 90s- at least I did when I started this never ending journey of ours.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Just got done smoking one of these...very underwhelmed.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Vintage 90s can be sent to me for disposal...
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #12
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantbejon View Post
I haven't had a RP vintage in quite some time. I used to like them...but I believe that my tastes have drastically changed within this past year so I likely would not any more. I've tried a few sticks recently that I used to love and they are falling flat for me.
My Feelings, Exactly, Brother! Nice Review, Ferdie!
longknocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #13
Giant & 49er Fan
Formerly known as RPguy

First Name: Jaime
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
Giant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura about

As an RP rep for a while... I am shocked as to how many people were pushed down the slope by the RP 1990 and 1992's. No Joke, hundreds of people told me that this cigar is the reason they are cigar smokers.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #14
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPguy View Post
As an RP rep for a while... I am shocked as to how many people were pushed down the slope by the RP 1990 and 1992's. No Joke, hundreds of people told me that this cigar is the reason they are cigar smokers.

I believe it Jamie. It seems though that most people like either one or the other and not so much both.
The 92 Vintage perfecto is still my "on the way to the lake stick". My local lake is only like 40 minutes so its the perfect length and goes great w/ coffee at 5am
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #15
Giant & 49er Fan
Formerly known as RPguy

Bolivar
Giant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I believe it Jamie. It seems though that most people like either one or the other and not so much both.
The 92 Vintage perfecto is still my "on the way to the lake stick". My local lake is only like 40 minutes so its the perfect length and goes great w/ coffee at 5am
The size gives it the boost in body that it needs. Good smoke! Try the PC too. It's better on the early draw.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #16
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPguy View Post
To each his own. How many people aren't happy with smoking Macanudo? Or any other General product? If they like these smokes, good for them. Who am I to judge? Smoke what you like, and if that is a RP Vintage 1990, then go and have one
Old 08-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #17
Giant & 49er Fan
Formerly known as RPguy

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
To each his own. How many people aren't happy with smoking Macanudo? Or any other General product? If they like these smokes, good for them. Who am I to judge? Smoke what you like, and if that is a RP Vintage 1990, then go and have one
Preach it brother. Preach it!
Old 08-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #18
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantbejon View Post
Not as good as they used to be to me, but I still like 'em.

Props to Rocky!

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote