Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 02-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
jesseboston81
CC Simple PIF Promoter

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (41)
Bolivar
jesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nice
Default Frustrating Edgestar problem

So the Edgestar 28 bottle wine cooler that I ordered arrived yesterday, but I think it has a problem. It runs fine on the coolest setting, but turning it to the warmest setting turns it off completely--light goes out, fan stops running, stops cooling, the works--and I don't think it's a "power switch" function, because the power off happens at a seemingly random point about 2/3 of the way down the dial towards the warmest setting. Once it powers off, it won't power on again. Turning it back to the coolest setting does nothing, unplugging and replugging does nothing. The only way to power it back on again is to turn it to the coolest setting, unplug it, wait five or so minutes, and the plug it in again. However, turning it back towards its warmest setting starts the whole process over again!

I'm planning on calling Edgestar since this is under warranty, but I wanted to know if other Edgestar owners have experienced similar issues and if anyone has any other suggestions. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
Giants85
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Justin
Trading: (4)
Montecristo
Giants85 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Frustrating Edgestar problem

Never heard of this and have no idea what could be the cause...I have an edgestar 28 and its worked fine so far. I do only keep it plugged in for a few months out of the year though and probably could get by with leaving it unplugged all year as it doesn't get too hot where it is located.

Not sure where you ordered it from but maybe you could try reaching out to them to see if you can get it exchanged? Or perhaps Edgestar warranty has a better option.

Good luck!
Giants85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
Montano
Bourbon IS a food group

First Name: Nick
Trading: (33)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
Montano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the rough

Sorry to hear about the problem. My Edgestar has ran great since day 1 at the warmest setting. Hopefully is not to big of a hassle to ship it back/get it repaired.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
jesseboston81
CC Simple PIF Promoter

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (41)
Bolivar
jesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nice

I guess I have to figure out if I'll ever use the warmest setting or if I'm fine with how it works as is. I let it run on the coolest setting all last night just to test it, and there weren't any problems. I got it because we use window air conditioners in the summer, which I imagine won't be sufficient to keep the heat down at a reasonable level in a conventional humidor. I'll probably leave this unplugged most of the year and run it through an external temp controller when I do run it, so I may not even need the warmest setting anyways.

Biggest issue is that the warranty requires me to cover shipping each way, which will be about $65 each according to the FedEx shipping estimator. Since this was open box and I only paid $119 for it with free shipping, I'm not excited about spending $130 to ship it and get it repaired...