Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 12-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
WaxingMoon
Humidor Builder

First Name: Ed
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
WaxingMoon will become famous soon enoughWaxingMoon will become famous soon enough
Default Distilled Water

Just thought I'd put this out there....

A good, easy & readily available source for distilled water would be a Dehumidifier - right out of the collection bucket.

I would recommend boiling it to kill off any residual contamination from the machine itself - but, otherwise - the water is pure distilled water.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation
Default Re: Distilled Water

I wish I would have known this my last time in the Sandbox. I had the cooks collect the steam from the food they cooked.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

My good, easy & readily available source for distilled water is Walmart.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Pure distilled water that's full of pollen, dust, and whatever else is floating around in the air with the water vapor...
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I've seen Les Stroud make distilled water by putting a plastic bag over a container with urine in it. It had a small collection cup in the center, and a small rock in the middle of the plastic so the water that collected on the bag would run down to the center and drip into the collection cup.

I wouldn't recommend it for daily use, but if you're about to die of dehydration in the desert, it could save your life.

Really, this method can be used on anything with water in it, branches, cactus, rainwater, stagnant water, even sea water. It works even faster if you have a heat source like the ability to put this contraption in the sun.

here's a pic:
Old 12-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
Giants85
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Justin
Trading: (4)
Montecristo
Giants85 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post

Interesting info though.
Giants85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Very cool info....but for 69 cents a gallon at Walgreens, I am a slave to The Man.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
Conch Republican
10-78

HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

Really Tom - 69 cents?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought it'd be a good idea, but aside from all the dust and spores and pollen, it's loaded with copper oxides.
I put a reverse osmosis system under the sink. That way I have distilled water on tap for my salt water fish tank and my humidors. Mine was a high volume one and cost about $250, but they can be had lots cheaper.
We refill our water bottles from it, too. So we really get our money's worth.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #10
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conch Republican View Post
Really Tom - 69 cents?
Your response made me laugh too...but I am not sure why.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #11
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I always thought it'd be a good idea, but aside from all the dust and spores and pollen, it's loaded with copper oxides.
I put a reverse osmosis system under the sink. That way I have distilled water on tap for my salt water fish tank and my humidors. Mine was a high volume one and cost about $250, but they can be had lots cheaper.
I have one too. I love mine. It has something like a 3 gallon tank mounted in the floor joists under the sink. I use it for everything. Really makes a difference in cooking as well. I don't know if I'd call it distilled. but it's pretty damn pure.

The only thing I didn't like about it was the price. Installed, I believe it was around 800.

Last edited by pektel; 12-06-2010 at 11:25 AM.
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
I have one too. I love mine. It has something like a 3 gallon tank mounted in the floor joists under the sink. I use it for everything. Really makes a difference in cooking as well. I don't know if I'd call it distilled. but it's pretty damn pure.

The only thing I didn't like about it was the price. Installed, I believe it was around 800.
Mine is a zero ppm, and it has the 3 gallon tank, too. It's specifically for making zero ppm (distilled) water. I put mine in myself, it wasn't a big deal.
Mine is like this. I couldn't find the exact one I got, this Air, Water, Ice place changes their models pretty often.
I got a tester with it, too. You stick it in a glass of water and it tells you how much junk is in the water by parts per million. That's how you tell if you have to change the membrane or filters.
I've never had to change any of that stuff yet and I've had it for at least two years, I'm thinking.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #13
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Purified water via filtration(reverse osmosis) is not the same as distilled water.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Purified water via filtration(reverse osmosis) is not the same as distilled water.
I know the process is different, Bob, but is there a difference in the finished product? I'd think zero stuff in either one is equal, what's the diff between the two?
Old 12-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #15
Will herf for food

Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I know the process is different, Bob, but is there a difference in the finished product? I'd think zero stuff in either one is equal, what's the diff between the two?
RO forces water through openings so small that many minerals cannot make it through and are thus filtered out. The distillation process (boiling and condensing) is widely considered 100% pure, but is not 100%. In fact RO isn't 100% either. For drinking water quality purposes they are pretty much a wash. RO is widely considered more cost effective, probably because you don't need the energy to boil/evap the water and condense it again. That is why a lot of people have RO systems and not distilleries (not for water any way).
Old 12-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #16
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
There is... I did these tests with a water tester a month or so ago for a similar thread.

TDS: Total Dissolved Solid

Tap Water:
From Faucet: 240

Spring Water:
Ice Mountain: 160

Reverse Osmisis
HyVee: 20

Distilled Water:
Great Value: 1

The names of the brands under each category is just a popular source here where I live.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #17
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
I've seen Les Stroud make distilled water by putting a plastic bag over a container with urine in it. It had a small collection cup in the center, and a small rock in the middle of the plastic so the water that collected on the bag would run down to the center and drip into the collection cup.

I wouldn't recommend it for daily use, but if you're about to die of dehydration in the desert, it could save your life.
I learned this one during the Y2K scare

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #18
looking for know
Dr. Mike

Trading: (10)
Army (Served With Honor)
looking for know is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Same here.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:52 AM   #19
nick2021
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (17)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
nick2021 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking for know View Post
Same here.
x2 unless you're in the sandbox, hard to find distilled water...humidification jars help out tremendously in that situation imo
Old 12-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #20
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Very cool info....but for 69 cents a gallon at Walgreens, I am a slave to The Man.
hahaa, ain't this the truth. I am thinking, how in the world would collecting de-humidifcation runoff
and boiling it be easier than throwing a 75 cent gallon of water in a buggy? I like the sheet of plastic
dealie-o...Saw that many years ago and was half waiting for a chance to get stranded.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote