Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-27-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
badbriar

Default Wrapper issues

This goes under the heading of wtf! Recently had a friend over and let him choose the cigars for the evening from the wineador. He picked a MUWAT and an Aroma De Cuba Mi Amor, so those were what we each had. First smoked were the Uzis, in the +11 size. About half way through my stick, the wrapper started to loosen at the lit foot. Shortly, the entire wrapper blossomed and came off! My buddy's amusement at my distress was short lived, as his cigar did the same thing! Both were tossed at the half way point. These were not new sticks, but had been sleeping for over 6 months. Never had an Uzi do this before. The Mi Amors performed flawlessly as expected.
Similar thing happened to a newly purchased Nica Rustica from a reputable online source. The Nica was only a few weeks in the chiller. This is distressing, since the Nica and Uzi are damn tasty sticks!
Now, I keep a lot of sticks in the wineador and the R/H is steady at 65% / 66 deg. have not had any other cigars do this in the last few years.
Any ideas?
Old 07-27-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Wrapper issues

What was the humidity and temp of the environment you were smoking in?
Old 07-27-2014, 09:29 AM   #3
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
This.

I've had perfectly (to my standards anyway) kept sticks do this when I took them out of the humidor and air conditioned house and out into a humid, warm Texas night. Kinda odd that it's only been DE sticks doing that to you though.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #4
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Happens To Me Frequently When Smoking Outside In The Heat & Greater Than 75% Humidity In Alabama In The Summer. Not Much You Can Do When Smoking Outside.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Here View Post
This.

I've had perfectly (to my standards anyway) kept sticks do this when I took them out of the humidor and air conditioned house and out into a humid, warm Texas night. Kinda odd that it's only been DE sticks doing that to you though.
Not entirely. The capa leaves are different between the MUWAT and the LAdC Mi Amor, and are going to behave differently when subjected to stresses like the expanding of the filler. The bunching technique between the two factories is very likely a bit different (DE has a unique bunching technique which JdN has since adopted), which could lead to different amount of expansion when subjected to the same circumstances.

The fact that both cigars had the same failure at almost the same time definitely leans toward environmental conditions being the cause.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Not entirely. The capa leaves are different between the MUWAT and the LAdC Mi Amor, and are going to behave differently when subjected to stresses like the expanding of the filler. The bunching technique between the two factories is very likely a bit different (DE has a unique bunching technique which JdN has since adopted), which could lead to different amount of expansion when subjected to the same circumstances.

The fact that both cigars had the same failure at almost the same time definitely leans toward environmental conditions being the cause.
All good points. I hadn't considered the bunching and rolling techniques being a factor as well.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

From what you described, I've had that happen once, ironically it was with an Undercrown. Kinda turned me off on them.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
Garbandz
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (53)
Garbandz will become famous soon enough

(DE has a unique bunching technique which JdN has since adopted),

Tell me more about this...............
Garbandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #9
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbandz View Post
(DE has a unique bunching technique which JdN has since adopted),

Tell me more about this...............
If you go to Cigarobsession.com they have a series of videos from the Drew Estate Cigar Safari. It shows the different rolling and bunching techniques that DE uses. Pretty interesting stuff to watch.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:02 PM   #10
badbriar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Excellent question...

Hot & Humid central Florida. Only other issues with cigar performance experienced is that a Camacho TM, Alec Bradley American Classic, 601 Green and Undercrown have begun with open draw and after being in the high humidity, had the draw constrict quite a bit. No previous issue with wrapper issues. No other issues with either problem. I often have a cigar outside with some kind of good beverage.
Had previously thought that wrapper coming off was due to overly dry cigars.
I admit that I am not well informed on this.
Appreciate the replies. Great info here!
RR
Old 07-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #11
Shaneg
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Shane
Trading: (2)
Partagas
Shaneg is on a distinguished road

Agree with above- environmental not construction issues. I'm an rh nazi and have had sticks blow apart like that because I was smoking after a midsummer rainstorm- stupid high rh environment.
Shaneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:28 AM   #12
JJKJR
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
JJKJR is on a distinguished road

I also live in Florida and have had the same issues with high humidity and with the Florida cool winter temperatures effecting the cigar wrappers. I've been experimenting and putting my cigars in a travel humidor a day or two before smoking. The seal on the travel humidor is not very good so the outside environment gets in. My thought was the cigar would acclimate to the temp and humidity outside the humidor. Overall it has seemed to work pretty good for me. Any other ideas?
JJKJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #13
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJKJR View Post
I also live in Florida and have had the same issues with high humidity and with the Florida cool winter temperatures effecting the cigar wrappers. I've been experimenting and putting my cigars in a travel humidor a day or two before smoking. The seal on the travel humidor is not very good so the outside environment gets in. My thought was the cigar would acclimate to the temp and humidity outside the humidor. Overall it has seemed to work pretty good for me. Any other ideas?
You're more or less doing the old practice of "dry boxing". Basically, you take a few sticks that you plan to smoke soon and put them into an empty cigar box for a day or two. I suppose that would work well if you pre-plan your smokes, but more often than not I have no idea what I feel like until I crack open the cooler.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #14
JohnRogers
I Still Ash On My Self

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
AirForce (Active)
JohnRogers is on a distinguished road

This thread is another reason why every city and town needs a proper cigar lounge. Damn weather.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #15
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

Rob,

When that happened to me it was me not keeping humidity where it needed to be and also cutting too low with my palio.

I'm here in Orlando and had to drop to 64% and they smoke amazing. Also make sure you aint cutting past cap line.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #16
badbriar

Quote:
Originally Posted by equetefue View Post
Rob,

When that happened to me it was me not keeping humidity where it needed to be and also cutting too low with my palio.

I'm here in Orlando and had to drop to 64% and they smoke amazing. Also make sure you aint cutting past cap line.
Good advice - Still perplexed why only these two brands (two each on both occasions) had issues out of between 75 and 100 sticks this year - ???