Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
badbriar

Default Crappy lighter issue...

I received a Blazer Optimus cigar lighter as a Christmas gift - bought from Amazon.com. The lighter does not work - has a slow leak and will not hold fuel after being filled. Fills Ok, but discharges completely after a couple of hours. Also, lighter looks to be used and not new, as was sold to us. Amazon will not stand behind this, even though they sold us a damaged, used, faulty lighter. I contacted the manufacturer to see what they can do, but with the thing looking like it is used, I do not hold out any hope of getting any satisfaction.

I will not spend any more in the way of repairs on this after Amazon's unethical response. Probably will just throw this trash away. Unfortunate part is that I actually wanted a Palio or Xikar cutter, which would have been about the same cost. It's the thought that counts.

Lessons learned here is to stick with quality brands with a real warranty, be painfully clear with non-cigar significant others as to the Brand you want, and be damn careful where you buy from!

RR
Old 01-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Crappy lighter issue...

Amazon tends to be very good about taking returns on their merchandise, did your lighter come from a 3rd party vendor through Amazon?
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #3
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Check the flame adjustment. On many lighters, if the adjustment is set too far open, the gas bleeds out.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #4
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I'm surprised. I have had no problem returning stuff purchased from Amazon -- both items that were Amazon items and items that were purchased from a 3rd party through Amazon.

In all cases everything worked out to my satisfaction. I also think of Blazer as a quality lighter -- it sounds like you got a bad one and should pursue this with Amazon (and the vendor if it was a 3rd party purchase).

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

Had to be from a third party.
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
badbriar

Bought directly from Amazon. Their policy is not to accept items that contain fuel or gas. Funny that the lighter was partly filled and would light when we got it. They are willing to ship out fuel laden lighters, but will not take empty ones back. Pretty poor customer service IMHO.
Have other lighters that perform well and am familiar with adjusting, so adjusted the flame to the lower side. Adjustment and filling is straightforward, like similar lighters. Tried different flames to see if it would hold fuel. After three lost fills, I called it quits. Something is clearly not right. None of my lighters have had issues and if this thing can be damaged this easily from a routine filling, it surely is trash. At this point, I just want to get even by warning others to look carefully at brands warrantees and be cautious where they buy from.
RR
Old 01-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #7
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

You will find lots of people here who have nothing but raves for the Blazer line. That you had a poor experience is unfortunate, but clearly a one-off. I've returned lighters to Amazon, so am unable to verify your experience. Most people here understand that buying online entails a certain amount of "buyer beware".

If you used a CC or PP to make the purchase, dispute the charge. Kinda weird that it was defective on arrival when it had fuel in it.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #8
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Sounds to me like you got someone else's returned lighter.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #9
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbriar View Post
The lighter does not work - has a slow leak and will not hold fuel after being filled. Fills Ok, but discharges completely after a couple of hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbriar View Post
Funny that the lighter was partly filled and would light when we got it.
Maybe I'm missing something, but these two statements seem to contradict one another. How does it not hold fuel for more than a couple hours, but it arrived with fuel in it?
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #10
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

If it does indeed have fuel, why not empty it?
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:31 PM   #11
Garbandz
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (53)
Garbandz will become famous soon enough

send it to blazer with a copy of the invoice and explain it to them.

probably they will handle it.....
Garbandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #12
badbriar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but these two statements seem to contradict one another. How does it not hold fuel for more than a couple hours, but it arrived with fuel in it?
I noted the exact same thing - cannot come up with an explanation without taking it apart. Anyway, issue is over - just tossed it out. Will probably buy another Xikar.

RR
Old 01-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #13
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I probably would have fought on and at least kept the lighter, while not working it was still a present from someone, I would have just put it in a drawer in my case the "lighter and tool" box on my coffee table if I couldn't get it resolved.

In the end someone spent good money on a present for you, why throw that in the trash?
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote