Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2014, 08:44 AM   #1
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough
Default Travel to Italy

I am headed to Italy on Sunday for my honeymoon and was wondering if anyone has travel advice on what to see or not see and ways to avoid sticking out like a sore thumb. I have never traveled outside of the US and Canada before.

I am going to Venice, Florence, Rome, Cinque Terre/Riomaggiore, Naples, Palermo, and Agrigento in Sicily.

I saw the post about smoke shops in Rome but any other spots I should try and get to?

Thanks
Old 09-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Travel to Italy

Don't carry around a back pack and camera (use phone). Keep your passport at the hotel. Avoid baseball hat and be careful in Naples! Maybe don't shave so look more like a local...
Old 09-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #3
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Don't carry your wallet in your back pocket.
If going to the Vatican to see the Sistine Chapel, get there early.
Carry a small travel-pack of tissues with you. Some parts of Italy are more third world than first and you may find yourself in a toilet emergency.
Use the metro in Rome, it's really easy to get around.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

Make copies of your passport, drivers license, credit cards. All front and back so that you can have some proof if they get stolen or lost. Check the duty free shops if you're looking for smokes that's where I had the best luck. Also don't forget to inform your banks that you will be going out of the country. When you get there try your card so that you know it works before you really need it. Have fun and enjoy the David in Florence (my favorite site in all of Europe) also when in Rome aske to see the cathedral of st Paul, it gets left out of most itineraries but it is really cool and worth seeing plus it's usually not very crowded.
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMamba View Post
Make copies of your passport, drivers license, credit cards. All front and back so that you can have some proof if they get stolen or lost. Check the duty free shops if you're looking for smokes that's where I had the best luck. Also don't forget to inform your banks that you will be going out of the country. When you get there try your card so that you know it works before you really need it. Have fun and enjoy the David in Florence (my favorite site in all of Europe) also when in Rome aske to see the cathedral of st Paul, it gets left out of most itineraries but it is really cool and worth seeing plus it's usually not very crowded.
Some good points I forgot. Check you CC's and Debit Cards to see who offers no transaction fee on purchases. If they don't; better to just pay cash for stuff. There are many cigar stores all over Italy. Hotel should be able to point you in the right direction or look for LCDH, Davidoff, Dunhill, etc... websites for appointed shops. A little web digging should find you some other shops. Pick up the Italian Regional Edition Habanos if you can find them. They have some of the best RE's in Europe.

I keep a copy of all my ID's as an attachment in an email should I ever need to access them.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
SD Beerman
Have My Own Room

Trading: (3)
Cohiba
SD Beerman will become famous soon enough

Pick up a Roma pass when in Rome. It gives you discounts and some free passes for the metro and some Museums.
SD Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Call your CC vendors and request the new cards with the chip on it. They use the chip and PIN in Europe, but we just got back and we used what they call chip and signature. My two travel cards don't charge for exchanging euros to US dollars, so you might want to ask your CC company about that. Cash cards don't need a chip to work, but look for bigger banks when you need to withdraw euros. I always get my euros once I'm there and can get to a bank ATM, look for the english button.

Most restaurants and smaller stores expect cash, not credit cards for most transactions. Hotels, gas stations and larger stores still take credit cards, but there are always exceptions.

If you want to see David while you're in Florence, we went to the visitor center and got a reservation to get in and didn't have to wait in the long line.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Beerman View Post
Pick up a Roma pass when in Rome. It gives you discounts and some free passes for the metro and some Museums.
I forgot about the Roma Passes, great point! They're a heckuva deal.