Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 01-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #81
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Triathlete View Post
Who you calling an Old Fart?!?!
denial is a terrible thing buddy!!!
BigFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #82
12stones
Yo Mama is so...

First Name: Ricky
Trading: (1)
RA MarineCorps (Disabled Vet)
12stones will become famous soon enough

Okay, I got one... What's the best way to rehydrate some dry baccy?
12stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #83
drevim
On the inside looking out

First Name: Ian
Trading: (6)
Partagas
drevim has disabled reputation

How does one fill (see I'm learning) a pipe with poo?

Cause no one likes tight packed poo.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #84
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12stones View Post
Best? I dunno.

If I have totally dried out tobak I put it on a piece of paper and hit it with a plant sprayer, lightly, with distilled water and toss it about to fluff it up. Repeat, allowing time for the water to be absorbed, as needed to get the right feel.

Others swear by the water/moisturizing button tossed in a baggie or jar of dry tobak.

Others say...

BTW, I tested apple slices (THIN apple slices) in jar of dry tobacco and it rehydrated dry tobak just fine and did not mold. I hear that apples mold but, I find, not a thin slice or two. Everybodies grandpa was right - but grandpa didn't toss in half a soggy apple - just a skinny wedge.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #85
Root
Making Igloos

First Name: James
Trading: (0)
Root is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12stones View Post
Pipers clay button has always worked for me. Spray with distilled water and drop in. Day or two and your golden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevim View Post
How does one fill (see I'm learning) a pipe with poo?
By hand.

Fiber helps!

or was that shag?
Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #86
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

What's the best way to break in a new pipe?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #87
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
What's the best way to break in a new pipe?
By not rushing it.

Personally, I go for a nice, cool-burning easy-to-smoke ribbon cut to break in briar. My latest all-around first choice - bless you Evan - is Carter Hall, direct from the drugstore. If I feel strongly the pipe is destined for latakia, there are many options but Dunhill 965 and Peter Stokkebyes Proper English both fill my bill.

Slowly smoke one-third to half-bowls, over and over and over, allowing dry-out time between smokes. It takes a while. Use a tamper with care to avoid scratching new cake from the insides; leave no unburned flecks of tobacco stuck to the pipe walls. As cake builds in the lower half, progressively fill the bowl (if it suits you) higher. Do it patiently and you'll build a conical cake, a little thicker in the lower part of the bowl than the upper.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #88
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

Thanks for the answer Mr. Moo. Would a straight VA be good for breaking in a new pipe? Ive got some Navy Flake bulk laying around that is rather light. I think it has a little perique in it, but I can't taste any of it in the blend. Or maybe some FVF.
I would like to dedicate the new pipe to either VA or VA/Per. I find that bent pipes smoke rather well with virginia's. For me at least.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #89
Mister Moo

Quote:
Thanks for the answer Mr. Moo. Would a straight VA be good for breaking in a new pipe? Ive got some Navy Flake bulk laying around that is rather light. I think it has a little perique in it, but I can't taste any of it in the blend. Or maybe some FVF.
I would like to dedicate the new pipe to either VA or VA/Per. I find that bent pipes smoke rather well with virginia's. For me at least.
Welllllll... yeahhhhh...... Sure. But but but.... this is the place for new pipe smokers to get down with their "burning questions" of the moment, so...

Thing is, even a well-rubbed Escudo flake can be a little touchy when it comes to filling a pipe uniformly (and burning through it evenly) compared to a nice pedestrian ribbon cut tobak. Not that that's the end of the world but, with a new pipe, I'd argue, give it a break for the a first few smokes. At least consider an ounce of a nice ribbon cut VA or VAPer to get a good start on some cake. And, you know, VA tends to burn hotter than burley and english tobak to, why NOT start with an ounce of Carter Hall, anyhow?

Fact is, when I get a new pipe and decide, "This sucker is destined for VA....", I'm now more likely to start it off (lately) with Carter Hall than a ribbon VA. I used to start any new pipe with any VA (flake, etc.) to see how it'd handle it right off the bat but finally decided, "Cut this chit out. It's just a little too hot and chunky for the first few smokes." A dozen or so smokes with Carter Hall won't ruin your pipe for FVF a month down the road; burning an airhole with some hot VA might.

Other opinions may vary. This is just my view. I would really appreciate hearing from other Old Farts on this issue, too. I will try to invite a special guest in to add some thoughts here as well.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #90
Slow Triathlete
I Need A Beer!!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (11)
RA
Slow Triathlete is on a distinguished road

I see Moo's point with this one. But I usually just start out with whatever I'm going to smoke in that pipe.
Slow Triathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #91
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

thanks for the answers again. If I get a chance, I will stop by a store that has pipe baccy. I think rite aid has carter hall. Im sure they have other burley blends. What other baccys have a similar profile to carter hall?
Old 01-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #92
Root
Making Igloos

First Name: James
Trading: (0)
Root is on a distinguished road

Quote:
thanks for the answers again. If I get a chance, I will stop by a store that has pipe baccy. I think rite aid has carter hall. Im sure they have other burley blends. What other baccys have a similar profile to carter hall?

Prince Albert and to a lesser degree Sir Walter Raleigh are great.

Stay away from Granger and Half & Half they're too wet..
Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:34 AM   #93
Mister Moo

Quote:
So much to say on this topic but, in the end, it all boils down to what works for you. Here is a great conclusion to this question (for now) from http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=P...ng_techniques:

"Breaking in" your pipe

The process of "breaking in" a pipe serves two functions. First, any saps, resins, acids, stains, demons, or other nasty things that have remained in the briar are driven out. Second, and most importantly, a "cake"--the layer of charred residue that builds up inside the bowl as tobacco is smoked in it--is developed. This cake protects the bowl of the pipe from the heat of burning tobacco and prevents it from "burning out." It should be noted that most of the information in this section applies to briar pipes only. Most other pipes require no break in period, or at most a very brief one. Additionally, one should not allow a cake to build up in a meerschaum or clay, as this could cause the bowl to crack.

It is important to smoke a new pipe slowly, to avoid damaging the naked briar. Some recommend that a new pipe be filled only one-third to one-half full for the first several smokes, after which the bowl can be filled a little more with each smoke. To be honest, this procedure is not necessary, but I always recommend it--and usually practice it--because it is all too easy to damage a new pipe through carelessness. Don't try to rush the break-in period, and don't be overly concerned if a new pipe has a bitter taste. Some pipes break in easier than others, and it is not uncommon for a pipe that is very difficult to break in to mature into a great smoker.

Some pipes are sold with a bowl coating designed to protect the briar until a cake is built up (sometimes such bowls are called "pre-carbonized"). Many pipes, however, are not so treated. While a "naked" bowl is not likely to be damaged so long as the pipe is smoked slowly, many people advocate preparing the bowl interior of a new pipe. Some recommend that the inside of the bowl be dampened with water to protect the briar, while others recommend honey, or a mixture of honey and water. Honey may help a cake form more quickly, but after trying all of these techniques I find that these days I tend to use nothing at all.

Finally, try not to smoke a new pipe outdoors if you can possibly avoid it. Even a gentle breeze will cause the pipe to burn much hotter than it would indoors, which can irreparably damage a briar that is not protected by a cake. I've never had a problem smoking my pipes outdoors (after they've been broken in, of course), but if you're concerned about possible damage, you can purchase wind caps from your tobacconist which will shield the burning tobacco from the effects of wind.

Fred Hanna has written an excellent article on this subject that we highly recommend called The Mysteries of the Briar Break-in Process.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:29 AM   #94
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

First, I guess I should introduce self here. Name is Todd, been smoking pipes and cigars since 1980. I hope that qualifies me as an Old Fart. I normally don't stop over here much, as I have been really enjoying the cigar discussions of late. However, I do read many of the pipe posts.

Now, thought I'd chime in on two different topics broached in this thread.

Rehydrating tobacco & break-in.

I have found a great way to rehydrate "overdry" tobacco (I like to smoke my baccy a little on the dry side). Get a large tupperware (or any container with an airtight seal), say 10X14 and about 5 inches tall. Place a sterile sponge hyper-hydrated with distilled water on a saucer in one corner. Spread your tobacco evenly over the remainder of the bottom and then close. Check first after about 2 hours. Depending on how dry the tobacco and how warm the room, this can work fairly quickly (oh yeah, also the amount of tobacco matters).

This is a good method, as it is a more even way of hydrating than a clay disk or other manner that puts the water in direct contact with the tobacco which can bring on soggy spots.

2) Pipe break-in. When I talk with newbies, I tell them that new pipes need to be smoked slowly to break them in. I have found that choice of tobacco is less important than proper filling and then simply smoking slowly and gently - sipping is the best way to describe it. And, I'd say only sip once every 45 seconds at most. Yes, it takes discipline and patience.

Oh, and expect to get bit if you lose focus.

Find an experienced pipester that can show you how to fill a bowl, if you are not sure. I know there are a number of methods shown on video clips, but I think seeing it live, and allowing to have a hands on feel for how tight a good fill "feels" is helpful. It is true also, that smoking technique is an individual thing and fill may differ for that technique, but only ever so slightly.

I personally also fill the bowl, not this half bowl fill idea. Fill it up and smoke it down. And, if a pipe is going to be dedicated to a certain tobacco, smoke that in it.

Oh, here's another thing to consider. Pipes may groove to a certain type of tobacco more than to any other. I had a nice Don Carlos I was going to dedicate only to straight VA. I wasn't getting the most out of the baccy and if I lost focus, it would bite me. One day I decided to try some Gawith & Hoggarth Mixture #12 in it, and that pipe sang gloriously. It brought out flavors I hadn't noticed before. Oh, and it never bit me again.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #95
tedrodgerscpa
Palmetto State Herf Crew!

First Name: Ted
Trading: (87)
QdO
tedrodgerscpa has disabled reputation

I have a question for an Old Fart...

As a cigar smoker, it's easy to plan for travel... throw sticks in travel humi, grab cutter and ligher, and you're off!

What are some of the best (or maybe I really want to know "What are some of the worst") ways to travel with pipes? Padding? Cases? Old dirty socks?

I'm mostly worried about protecting my new investments... The tobacco is pretty durn easy to travel with (throw in ziploc and go)... Keeping the hardware safe and sound may be a different matter.

Everyday I'm shufflin...
tedrodgerscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #96
Nick
Feeling at Home

First Name: That's confidential
Trading: (4)
Nick is on a distinguished road

As long as the pipes stay safe and aren't beat around or broken they will be just fine. They are some pipe cases you can get out there for fairly cheap and they would work great, some of them will fit multiple pipes as well. I don't have money to be buying stuff like that so I generally use CLEAN ankle socks just to add some padding then I'll pack my pipes in and around my clothes to provide more padding. I have never damaged a pipe during transport so I think this method works pretty well and it's cheap.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #97
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I have never damaged a pipe during transport ....
I, unfortunately, have broken a pipe while using a cigar caddy (poorly packed). Keep the pipes in the sock they came in, inside a pipe box. Most of the time, you can fit two pipes in one box. Then put the box in a big enough cigar caddy. If you have a long bit pipe that you think is rather fragile, take the bit out of the pipe as well.
I travel all the time and take about a 25 count cigar caddy, I can fit 4 pipes (in 2 boxes), plus a few tins/tubs, a bunch of cleaners, a pipe stand (the little plastic single pipe holder kind), a tamper, matches, and plenty of room for small ziploc baggies. When I'm gone, it's normally for around 3 weeks, and that one caddy will easily last me the entire trip.
Do NOT put a pipe rolling around loosely in a cigar caddy along with tins of tobacco. they slide around, next thing you know, the tin bumps into the pipe too hard, or combo of pipe bumping inside the caddy and then hit by the tin at the same time = broken pipe stem.

they do make a cigar case with inserts designed for pipes. "uncle mikey" use to have it.
Curly Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #98
Mister Moo

Welcome Old Farts RevSmoke, Nick and CurlyCuts. Thanks for coming, sharing your experience and helping out with new-to-pipe persons.

(Be sure to thank your Old Fats, new people. They are all that separates us from the animals and burnouts, you know. And don't forget! This is the only thread where qualified Old Fart helper pipers are only barely allowed to mock you for not using the "Search" function.)
Old 01-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #99
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
As long as the pipes stay safe and aren't beat around or broken they will be just fine. They are some pipe cases you can get out there for fairly cheap and they would work great, some of them will fit multiple pipes as well. I don't have money to be buying stuff like that so I generally use CLEAN ankle socks just to add some padding then I'll pack my pipes in and around my clothes to provide more padding. I have never damaged a pipe during transport so I think this method works pretty well and it's cheap.
Good: a cob in your back pocket. Who cares if you break it.
Bad: a cob in your suitcase. It stinks up your clean undies.
Good: a meerschaum kept in the original hard case (if delivered with one) is nice to travel with
Bad: a meerschaum NOT in a hard case
Old 01-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #100
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road

pipe guardian case from mr. bundles.
http://www.mrbundles.com/product_inf...oducts_id/1491