Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
michael88n
Finger Sniffer

First Name: Michael
Trading: (3)
Punch Army (Retired)
michael88n is on a distinguished road
Default 5 Vegas Miami – Churchill

I got a fiver of these a week or so ago and I was pretty stoked. I’ve been thinking about these babies, but have had other ‘gars in the lineup that I wanted to get to first. I’m a one cigar a night kind of a guy. My friend Dennis has been going on and on about them and asking if I had tried them… and so tonight’s the night.

Out of the cellophane it has a great smell. Strong tobacco (and I don’t like using the word “strong” straight off the bat) with some spicy notes. The cigar is beautiful. It’s the perfect brown color and it feels solid.

I use my punch and get a good hole in the end. I take a prelight draw and… nothing. Man, this thing must be rolled tight. So I snip the end off and get a good draw. It’s still a little on the tight side, but I think it’ll loosen up when it warms up.

I toast the foot and immediately get the smell that I knew meant business. And it did mean business. The first few puffs hit me right in the mouth. Full flavor right away. Spice and earth and a little leather. It was making my mouth tingle. The smell was (dare I say) fabulous. I don’t hesitate to use the word strong here. The smoke was plentiful and any doubts I had with the draw were quickly dissipated.

The burn was nice and even and the ash was dark speckled with gray. As I was getting into it, I was glad that I had eaten a big dinner earlier. The ash fell off at the one inch mark. Dammit! Luckily, I just kicked it into the cracks between the boards of the gazebo. I thought that the tight roll would have meant stronger ash.

The smoke went on and on. I knocked the ash off at each of the inch/inch and a half points. Each time it came off pretty easy. Around the halfway point, the strength subsided and though it didn’t exactly mellow out, it became more enjoyable. There was another flavor that I couldn’t nail during the first half. This smoke had a woody/mahogany flavor that I haven’t had before. Or maybe I just couldn’t identify it with earlier cigars. It brought back memories of when I was a little kid and smelling old mahogany furniture. It was really good.

This Churchill lasted me an hour and a half. There was nothing ‘medium’ about this stick at all. And it was not an everyday kind of a smoke either. I’m curious to find out how different the flavor is with a larger ring Miami. Smoke it again? Heck, yeah! But it’s not my everyday smoke. This one is special.

Oh, I almost forgot. This smoke also has a high “finger sniffing” factor. 357 called it “an echo of the cigar you just enjoyed.” It’s true. I’ve been enjoying this cigar’s smell for the hour and a half after I finished. Finger sniffin’ good.

Cheers,
Michael

And that is my sixth review.
michael88n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 5 Vegas Miami – Churchill

I really enjoy those and the toro.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

These are darned good smokes. You might try dry boxing a little while before smoking, that should ease the draw some. And no, you don't want to smoke this on an empty stomach.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
michael88n
Finger Sniffer

Punch Army (Retired)

Col K. (or any one...)
I've never dry boxed any smokes.
How long do you dry box? Do you actually leave it in a dry box (no beads) for a few days? Or in a box with just a lower RH?

Cheers,
Michael
Old 03-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Maybe others with more experience will chime in... I have a small (freebie) humidor that is not seasoned and doesn't have any humi devices that I keep on my desk. I try to run my DPG humi at 63 or so, so most are good to go at that level. If I have a larger RG one, or one that is fresh off the truck, I'll generally put it in there a day or two before I think I want to smoke it. By then I usually have changed my mind and put it back from whence it came.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
greenwit

Is this the same blend as the Knuckle?
Old 03-05-2009, 06:10 PM   #7
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

First Name: D
Trading: (30)
Partagas
Bruzee has disabled reputation

Michael, another great review. I really need to try this stick now!
Old 03-06-2009, 12:20 AM   #8
michael88n
Finger Sniffer

Punch Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Kurtz View Post
Maybe others with more experience will chime in... I have a small (freebie) humidor that is not seasoned and doesn't have any humi devices that I keep on my desk. I try to run my DPG humi at 63 or so, so most are good to go at that level. If I have a larger RG one, or one that is fresh off the truck, I'll generally put it in there a day or two before I think I want to smoke it. By then I usually have changed my mind and put it back from whence it came.
Thanks for the info. I wonder if the wooden box that RP Connecticuts came in would work as well. Time to search...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwit View Post
Is this the same blend as the Knuckle?
I would have to assume so. But it's the Churchill size. How did you like the Knuckle?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:25 AM   #9
Megatron

I just ordered a fiver of the petite corona size, but my go to smoke has been the Torp for the past few months. I always notice a distinct note of cocoa after the first half, and I have the palette of a billygoat. Maybe that was the flavor you couldn't put your finger(nose/tongue) on?