Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about
Default Need some FOG insight with our Dog

Well, as some of you know, we have 2 Huskies. One of them is 11ish (We got him from a shelter, and they weren't sure on the age), and 1.

Our older Huskey, Echo, has been sick since September of '12. He's got really severe allergies. He'll lay on the ground and just weeze. He looks f'in miserable. You guys know when your Dog just looks sad... That's how he will look. He'll just walk up to me and just stare at me, and he looks awful. We've had it checked out by a couple Vets, and they said there's not much we can do. The only option is a $3,000 to $4,000 surgery that has a 50-50% of actually helping.

He also has really bad arthritis. He was an outside Dog (Chained to a tree) for 8 years, and you can tell. If you put your hand on his hips you can feel his hips popping with each step. We have since stopping taking the stairs (It was only 2 sets of stairs), and take the elevator down. He's been struggling more and more with it. He's gotten almost hostile at times with our younger Husky when he tries to play with him. Sometimes when he lays down or gets up you can see his legs shaking.

The Vet said they have medication to lubricate his joints, and ease the pain a bit. None of this seems fair to him, doping him enough to keep him around for our selfishness. I really struggle with the idea to keep him around, but in pain. He's "my" dog, so my Wife is letting me make the call... But we've never had to deal with this before. All of our other dogs have died of Cancer, etc.

My question for you fine gentlemen is at what point do we put him down? Is where I'm coming from off base in that it's not fair to keep him going for my own sake? I wouldn't want to live life doped up, how can I make that choice for him? I'm just torn on this I guess.

Any and all insight is appreciated.
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default Re: Need some FOG insight with our Dog

Sorry to hear about your dog. I can relate all too well with your situation.
I had a bulldog who was dear to my wife and I, like a child. We had her for six years before we had to put her down. She had nothing but health issues from day one but she was a happy dog. Eventually she was diagnosed with a rare skin disease. So rare amoung dogs that they do not know much about how to treat it. We had her on experimental meds for years. We spent way to much money in the 6 years we had her to try and keep her healthy with surgeries and meds. In the beginning she would be sick for a month and then seemed almost fine for a month, but after a few years she started to be sick all of the time. She wasn't herself anymore, and you could sense she was suffering. We eventually decided it was best to put her down, one of the hardest descisions we have had to make. I think it was the right descision, although we miss her dearly. You gotta do what is best for the dog and your family brother. We will definitley not be able to help you make your descision as it is a very personal one. I will keep you in my thoughts and wish your family the best.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Some friends had very bad skin allergy problems with one of their labs to the point where it seemed that only drastic measures would work. The wife located a vet clinic that include holistic approached in their treatments and they found that a minor enzyme supplement cured their problem.

No idea if it would help your dog, but it is an option to consider.

Also, glucosamine for humans does wonders for dog joint pain. I take 2 tablets a day and the older greyhound takes one. For my breed (greyhound), it is highly recommended once the dogs reach 5 years.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

This is a tough one Brian.

I guess ultimately is your decision, but I would really study the pet and judge how bad it really seems to be. Is not fair to the dog to suffer. Again this is dependant on how bad he is really suffering.
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

For me it's all about quality of life. I have a 16 year old dog. He needs his 23 hours and 45 minutes of beauty sleep every day and the remaining 15 minutes he runs around like a puppy and seems happy. As long as he seems happy we are OK. He has some allergy issues (food and other stuff) but mostly he is in good health. We know that the day will come when he will not be so happy and then we will make the tough decision to not let him suffer.

It's different for everyone, but I think you can tell when your dog's suffering overcomes his happiness. Just my

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Some friends had very bad skin allergy problems with one of their labs to the point where it seemed that only drastic measures would work. The wife located a vet clinic that include holistic approached in their treatments and they found that a minor enzyme supplement cured their problem.

No idea if it would help your dog, but it is an option to consider.

Also, glucosamine for humans does wonders for dog joint pain. I take 2 tablets a day and the older greyhound takes one. For my breed (greyhound), it is highly recommended once the dogs reach 5 years.
Mark,
I went the hollistic approach on my Maltese when he was operated for cancer and then was given a month or two to live.
He lasted nearly a year and appeared quite normal until the last couple of days.
I think it really made a difference.

Aside from natural herbs, the main change was diet.
His cancer is believed to have been due to severe allergies. There is a purported correlation between processed dog food and allergies in dogs.
Hollistic vet had me convert both dogs to a raw diet and I saw an immediate change in their coat, stool, eagerness to eat, etc.

My Yorkie had bad joint problems. While there are Meds for that, they are hard on them. He gave me some natural stuff to help that also, supplemented by glucosamine and certainly helped.

OP, been where you are.
I dropped $3,000 on the cancer operation for the Maltese.
I dropped $3,500 for a broken leg on the Yorkie.
I always wondered when THAT lousy day would come.
The thing is, when the day does come, you really know it.
It stinks and the feeling lingers but all we can do is make them comfortable until that day and then afterwards, remember all the joy they gave.
Don't hang on for you but do all you feasibly and reasonably can.

Good luck.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I think you can tell when your dog's suffering overcomes his happiness. Just my
This is well put.

Looking back, our dog's entire life was an experiment. We tried everything possible, and spent beyond our means.
But she was a happy dog and loved life.

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 05-30-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

SP CoastGuard (Active)

I appreciate the advice you each have offered. It's all very appreciated.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

As said Glucosamine for the joints and human Benadryl for the allergies. My last golden lived to be 13yr old. Had real bad allergies and hip dysplasia. I gave him 2 Benadryl and 2 glucosamine every day. Also a can of tuna as a treat every other day( the oil helps the joints). Benadryl from a vet is very inexpensive as opposed to from a drug store even though it is the exact same as human Benadryl. I used to take his. And the glucosamine I would give him mine, because the stuff from pet store cost double and is same stuff.

Also, dogs cannot OD on Benadryl and it does not make them drowsy.

Good luck and follow your heart, you will find the right thing to do.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

First Name: Scotty
Trading: (31)
Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
It's different for everyone, but I think you can tell when your dog's suffering overcomes his happiness. Just my
This.

Just know you've done everything you could to make his stay with you as loving as possible. You pulled him from a hostile environment and gave him a proper home. That's like winning the lottery for a dog.

Tearing up over here. So I need to wrap this up.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers, and if we can be of ANY help or what have you...don't hesitate to reach out.

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
Lockspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Brian,

I put my 13 year old Shepherd down in March. The answer ultimately depends on their quality of life....when their QoL is no longer good, you are keeping them with you for yourself, and not for them. Asa wise man here told me, they give us unconditional love, and only trust us with this decision in return. I hope some of the ideas mentioned here help. If they don't, you alone will know when it's time.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #12
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

First Name: Scotty
Trading: (31)
Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

I'll add this little bit. Don't think you're quitting on him by putting him down. You've brought him this far, you've done all you know to do.

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
Lockspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #13
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

I am sorry bro. I have to agree with those stated when the dogs in pain and you keep the dog your putting yourself 1st over that loved dog.

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #14
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

SP CoastGuard (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhalbrooks View Post
I am sorry bro. I have to agree with those stated when the dogs in pain and you keep the dog your putting yourself 1st over that loved dog.
I'm not going to quote everyone, because that'd turn into an essay. But you all make very valid points. I'm glad that I wasn't completely off base in how I felt wrong keeping a Dog in pain was being selfish. Even when you say it it seems like common sense, but I can be quite stubborn.

I appreciate the kind words, thoughts, and loads of advice everyone has given. It was exactly what I was hoping for.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #15
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

We put our shepherd down 3 years ago. I can't tell you how we knew it was time, but it just was. We got to the vet. The dog layed down on the floor and it was almost like she knew and was ready. She was in too much pain at that point and wanted relief. It would have been wrong of us to not give her that.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #16
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Have had to put two dogs down because they were suffering. It is never an easy decision. Will keep you in my prayers.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #17
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

SP CoastGuard (Active)

Todd, you're the literally the nicest person I've ever "met"
Old 05-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #18
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHalbrooks View Post
Todd, you're the literally the nicest person I've ever "met"
You don't know me very well.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #19
racerX
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: john
Trading: (0)
racerX is on a distinguished road

Keep your head up. Been there. After reading all the wise words above I have a feeling you will know when the time is right.
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote