Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2009, 06:57 PM   #21
TheJ

Default Re: Holy influx of members - Awesome

I just found out about the site last night. I don't recall who made the post at the old CS that went:

c
i
g
a
r
a
s
y
l
u
m
......and so on.

Thanks all the same.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #22
TideRoll
It is what it is.

First Name: Tim
Trading: (5)
Partagas
TideRoll is on a distinguished road

Evidence of an experiment that appears to be falling flat on its face. You can't buy a community, on-line or otherwise.

It was a fine place once, and dropping by from time to time it struck me as kind of like going back to your grandmothers house years after she died. Until the switch, anyway, there was at least something familiar about the place that reminded you of the comfort you once found there. After the new UI and the rest of it... Nothing left but browser favorite that is misnamed.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:24 PM   #23
CigarDood
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (9)
CigarDood is on a distinguished road

The recent influx could have something to do with the fact that CA is now the fourth result for the google search "cigar forum."
CigarDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #24
FEAR
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
FEAR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
I just found out about the site last night. I don't recall who made the post at the old CS that went:

c
i
g
a
r
a
s
y
l
u
m
......and so on.

Thanks all the same.
I started that thread and three sheets replied. You must of been quick because it was deleted about 5min. later.
FEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #25
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough

Popped in at the old place today for the first time in awhile. Had to make a quick comment about the recent goings on and was promptly told by the new guy to take a hike ... literally.
Once again, I thank the 11 for building us a new home!
Old 01-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #26
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
I haven't been around there in a month or so, no need.

What I do need is a bot to write welcome messages I am going to get carpal tunnel syndrome
You think that's the only reason you have carpal tunnel?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #27
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideRoll View Post
Evidence of an experiment that appears to be falling flat on its face. You can't buy a community, on-line or otherwise.

It was a fine place once, and dropping by from time to time it struck me as kind of like going back to your grandmothers house years after she died. Until the switch, anyway, there was at least something familiar about the place that reminded you of the comfort you once found there. After the new UI and the rest of it... Nothing left but browser favorite that is misnamed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarDood View Post
The recent influx could have something to do with the fact that CA is now the fourth result for the google search "cigar forum."
Combination of lots of things. Heartwarming and .. well I still think it's the Icehog3 ads we "placed". (see previous post)

RE PUff: In reality, it's a good idea that will work. An intersection place for NC cigar manufacturers and NC cigar smokers (many newer ones) to meet and explore the hobby with lots of bells and whistles. Definitely a step up from what I used.. Cigarsinternational.com yielding a better experience and more value to someone stating out and beyond. That the plan didn't reconcile with the past for some doesn't make it a bad one. It works well for the community envisioned in the future and have no doubt it will attract many for what it is and will become. Time to unpack the baggage and settle in wherever. Focus on the positives of "what is" and celebrate our commonalities as cigar smokers and fellow members of the overall cigar community.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #28
No1der

I am just going around and posting my b& notice from puff because it's that funny.

"You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
"

Cheers,
Rob
Old 01-25-2009, 08:27 PM   #29
TheJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEAR View Post
I started that thread and three sheets replied. You must of been quick because it was deleted about 5min. later.
I guess it was great timing.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:31 PM   #30
architeuthis

I heard the buzz, so thought I'd look into it. Pretty nice place. <G>
Old 01-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #31
No1der

Just remember fellow Gorillas and BOTL's. They may take your RG but they'll never take your freeeeedoooooommmmmm!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2009, 12:26 AM   #32
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
There are always ebbs and flows of folks joining. That ad space we placed on Toms uniform seems to be really paying off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Gosh... I thought that ad would be.....

Bigger.
That just covers the right one, Pete.

Nothing is too outlandish to bring LOTLs to the Asylum!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:43 AM   #33
TideRoll
It is what it is.

First Name: Tim
Trading: (5)
Partagas
TideRoll is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
Combination of lots of things. Heartwarming and .. well I still think it's the Icehog3 ads we "placed". (see previous post)

RE PUff: In reality, it's a good idea that will work. An intersection place for NC cigar manufacturers and NC cigar smokers (many newer ones) to meet and explore the hobby with lots of bells and whistles. Definitely a step up from what I used.. Cigarsinternational.com yielding a better experience and more value to someone stating out and beyond. That the plan didn't reconcile with the past for some doesn't make it a bad one. It works well for the community envisioned in the future and have no doubt it will attract many for what it is and will become. Time to unpack the baggage and settle in wherever. Focus on the positives of "what is" and celebrate our commonalities as cigar smokers and fellow members of the overall cigar community.
As I understand it, that guy did manage to pull similar things off in the past in different arenas. I probably would have been more accurate if I had said given the culture at CS when he got involved, well, it probably wasn't going to be compatible with a significant percentage of that community. Of course, that's a pretty easy bit of hindsight.

As far as things getting snippy over there about references to CS or the transition or whatever, I guess I can understand why they would like to move forward but I'd have to say that permanently banning folks seems a bit counter-productive. I haven't followed those threads specifically, but I haven't seen any similar animosity on the part of you guys (the eleven) towards them. Quite the contrary.

That it is an idea that could work and might work yet seems reasonable to me. There's always room for a good idea and as a committed capitalist I don't hold the profit motive in disesteem at all. I am happy that everybody's favorite OG (Old Gorilla) was able to make a few bucks off of his long-time investment of time, money and effort. An additive approach would have perhaps worked better than the acquisitive/consolidating one, but it would have required a lot more time in the scene for Jon, and maybe it was a higher risk. I don't know...

At any rate, I'm happy some great BOTLs have given me a couple of new places to unpack my humidors. I'll probably check into the puff thing every now and then to see what it turns into, but it doesn't seem to be my thing right now.