Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 11-10-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
rhdad42

Default Wii questions

My mother-in-law is getting our kids - my daughter who's 10 today, and her brother who will be 8 in December - a Wii for Christmas. She's getting the console and the extra controller. I have a few general questions, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Are there any additional accessories that we'll need Christmas morning so the kids can really enjoy this?

2. I'm thinking of getting my wife Wii Fit. She currently rides a Lifecycle and does yoga and this might give her a little change of pace. Are there any accessories I'll need with Wii fit, other than the board?

3. Are there any good games for 10-year-old girls? She's super smart, loves to read, and is an equestrian.

4. My son is the ultimate Star Wars nerd, so we're getting him the new Lightsaber Duel game and probably the Lightsaber controller add-ons. He also loves his sports games on the PS2. Are the EA sports games (Madden 09, NHL 09, etc) better on the Wii than on the PS2?

I think that's it. If I've forgotten anything, please chime in and help.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:52 AM   #2
rhythm11
Enjoying the Ride

Trading: (3)
Partagas
rhythm11 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wii questions

I use rechargeable batteries (AA). There are some companies that make a recharger stand and batteries for the remotes. Make sure there are plenty of AA's, you may go through them those first few days as it gets played quite a bit.

There is a High School Musical game that comes with a microphone, I haven't seen it played, but that might be an idea.

Rock Band also came out for the Wii and that looks like fun with drums, guitar, and microphone.
rhythm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:53 AM   #3
mrreindeer

Default Re: Wii questions - answer

I hope this helps a little bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhdad42 View Post

1. Are there any additional accessories that we'll need Christmas morning so the kids can really enjoy this?

-Batteries for the remotes (or you can get a charging station that includes rechargeables specifically for the Wii - I just picked one up). The remotes take 2-AA/each remote

2. I'm thinking of getting my wife Wii Fit. She currently rides a Lifecycle and does yoga and this might give her a little change of pace. Are there any accessories I'll need with Wii fit, other than the board?

-I don't believe so (but not 100% positive); we don't have it but I've heard good things.

3. Are there any good games for 10-year-old girls? She's super smart, loves to read, and is an equestrian.

-not sure....kids (and I) love Guitar Hero...perhaps she would enjoy Rock Band because her friends can play along with her. I'd check out some game ranking websites...you might be able to look up 'Best for Age Group'

4. My son is the ultimate Star Wars nerd, so we're getting him the new Lightsaber Duel game and probably the Lightsaber controller add-ons. He also loves his sports games on the PS2. Are the EA sports games (Madden 09, NHL 09, etc) better on the Wii than on the PS2?

-no clue, sorry!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:34 AM   #4
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Along with the batteries (I use rechargeable AA not specifically made for the Wii) you might also want the extra nun-chuck controller.
For your son the LEGO StarWars would be entertaining. I am a StarWars fan and at least found it good.
From what I have heard the Wii fit is pretty good and something we are planning on picking up this year.
I am not sure on the daughter, mine is only 3.5 so we haven't gotten that far yet.
Have a fun!

Jay
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:41 AM   #5
Benzopyrene

you need to buy the wii game that comes with another controller. You should probably just go ahead and buy 4 controllers, because when they have friends over it will be more fun. Mario cart is a must and fun for any age, wheels if you like em. Mario Party, rock band, zelda, all fun games. Remember old gamecube games can be played as well. The wii fit is just fun, but havent had enough experience to say whethe or not to get accessoe=ries with it. You should get the wii ski game with it though and put that board to use. Sports games are fun, I havent tried football yet however, but Tiger woods golf is a lot of fun. Madden, I just dont know how youd do it on the wii, but its probably worth getting to see if its better than PS2 version. Anyway, I could go on but ill stop hope this helps a little. Definately get the extra controllers.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:05 AM   #6
piperman

Wii fit comes with everything you need, it does come with accessories but you don't need them, I would get a Wii remote for every person in the house up to four, and nun-chucks, I use rechargeable batteries, AA and a charger they are cheaper than there charging system. Wii play is good and Wii sports if you get the wii fit then you can play wii ski.

Most of all the Wii fit is not just a toy it does work you out!!
Old 11-10-2008, 09:33 AM   #7
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
Trading: (46)
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperman View Post
Wii fit comes with everything you need, it does come with accessories but you don't need them, I would get a Wii remote for every person in the house up to four, and nun-chucks, I use rechargeable batteries, AA and a charger they are cheaper than there charging system. Wii play is good and Wii sports if you get the wii fit then you can play wii ski.

Most of all the Wii fit is not just a toy it does work you out!!
Get the Wii Fit. Your wife will friggin adore you and it'll definitely get use. There's some cool and really challenging stuff there. I love that thing.
DBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #8
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

I agree with the above, get "Wii Play". It comes with an extra wiimote and it is only $10 more than just buying the remote separately.

You might want to look into getting the silicone skin for the Wii Fit. Ours is getting a little dirty.

If your son is into sports games, Tiger Woods golf for Wii is a blast. You do all the swinging, putting, etc with the wii more and it is much more in depth than Wii golf. Also we have Brunswick Pro Bowling with is also much more in depth that Wii Bowling.

Carnival Games might be a fun one for your daughter. It is really just a collection of lots of little games, like Milk Bottle knock down, ring toss, games like that. Game Party is also another good one which is really cheap and has darts, shuffleboard, air hockey, basketball...

We have some kind of Beach Games too, but I think that one is the least fun.

Lynx's Crossbow training is pretty fun too, even though it is just a tutorial that comes with the crossbox gun.

It is funny though, I have gotten so much mileage out of Wii Sports.
AD720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
rhdad42

This is great! Thanks to all of you so far. My son has Lego Star Wars for his DS and his PS2, and he loves them (also has 10 billion Lego Star Wars bricks - I step on stormtroopers just about every night). Having 4 controllers would be a definite plus...
Old 11-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #10
AdamC

My girlfriend and I have the Wii with Wii Play, mario Kart, Wii Fit, Legend of Zelda and Guitar Hero IV World Tour. We have 2 extra wheels for mario kart, a third controller and 3 nunchucks for multi-play, the crossbow, and she has the yoga mat for the Wii Fit (Carpet burn is NOT fun when doing pushups, various movements on floor).

Guitar hero IV has the set up for including a bassist, a drummer and a vocalist. Rock band has teh same set up, but we picked GH because there were many more versions of it out and therefore had more gaming choices. Her 10 and 6 yr old cousins LOVE the High school musical sing-a-long and rayman raving rabbids.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #11
PitmanGeek

Just make sure you get Wii Sports... They'll love the bowling and tennis.

MLB 2009 is good, Madden is good. The kids don't seem to like Tiger Woods, but I love it.

One additional vote for Mario Kart as well. Your daughter is pretty far from their target demo, so that may be tough.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #12
rhdad42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitmanGeek View Post
Just make sure you get Wii Sports... They'll love the bowling and tennis.

MLB 2009 is good, Madden is good. The kids don't seem to like Tiger Woods, but I love it.

One additional vote for Mario Kart as well. Your daughter is pretty far from their target demo, so that may be tough.
Wii sports is what we played on the golf weekend, right? That was pretty cool.

And I did find one equestrian game for Hannah, and the Rayman Raving Rabbids looks pretty cool.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:44 AM   #13
PitmanGeek

Yes, you can get the Wii sports as part of the package with the Wii. I'm not sure if Hannah is into the fantasy stuff... but the Zelda game has Emily's interest (although Matt has to help her).