Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #21
Bageland2000
On another adventure

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (2)
RyJ Army (Active)
Bageland2000 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Shipping error in my favor!

OK so it's coming along with some sticks after a devil run and my 2nd NST. Though I am running into an issue. I had the humi at about 80-85% humidity for a good 7 days while seasoning. Then When everything was in it kept at 65% dead on for a few days here. When the temp dropped and the ambient humidity plummeted, it's difficult to get it to 60%. I have 1lb of beads (80% clear) two open dishes with distilled water (under the bottom tray) and fully calibrated hygrometers. This is frustrating
Old 01-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #22
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Shipping error in my favor!

Winter can be a ***** to try and keep proper humidity levels since the ambient RH is generally quite low and most heating systems further dry the air out. We've had a week below freezing here, rare for the Pacific Northwest, and I've heard my Aristocrat's humidifer turning on a lot more frequently as a result.

It's worse of course with a leaky humi and glass tops are notoriously leaky. Unfortunately the same goes only to a much greater extent humi's like your's that are primarily glass. My suggestion is to move the cigars and beads into a cooler temporarily, then get a low-odour silicon caulking sealant and run a bead over every glass-to-wood joint. Leave the door open, once the caulk has cured and there's no residual odour re-season and see if there's a better seal.

I'd also make sure there's good weather stripping around the door frame to make sure it's sealing properly. You can always by the really thin stuff in rolls from Home Depot and it works pretty well.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote