Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #21
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Apple Announces iPhone 4S

If it gets me away from my Blackberry ....... I am game.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #22
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

I've been an Android user for almost 2 years. The Apple apps, as a whole are more polished and can be more user friendly. But I like the idea of open source programming, even though it leads to a lot of sub-par apps on the Android Market. I like the comparison I heard the other day, iPhone is a polished product for the masses, Android is for techie types who like to have some control over their device.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #23
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I guess my son isn't getting my iPhone 4 like he thought!!!
Old 10-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #24
Boz
In Vino Veritas

First Name: William
Trading: (18)
HUpmann
Boz has a spectacular aura aboutBoz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerb View Post
Apple just barely got caught up with hardware specs (8mp camera? wow, what an improvement. dual-core? its about time. 2x Faster data? really? when u have folks like Verizion with exceptional 4G LTE network?). Which means they are still behind. We have to wait a whole year for the next spec bump. Buy then the other phone makers will have devices that will make the iPhone look like a jitterbug. Not to mention the size of the phone. If they really want people to make this a device that does it all, give me a bigger screen dammit!

The only thing the keeps the iPhone going is the reliable software.

of course, this is all my opinion, everyone has one I have been an iPhone user for all iterations of the phone. Heck I still have my original iPhone. But this phone does nothing to keep me on the bandwagon.

Its a phone, 8mp is more than enough. I dont need a cannon or nikon on my phone. My 3gs has been plenty fast for me, if the new one is faster, hooray. I agree with the 4g network, they really need to step up this. I dont need a bigger screen. Again, its a phone. These are all my opinions obviously and I'm not trying to be a dick but the phones are exceptional for most people including myself.

I have several friends with Android phones and the only reason is because they have sprint. If they were with Verizon or ATT they would have iPhones, as they arent overly thrilled with their androids.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #25
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Pre-engineered obsolencense jobs us again.
I see what you did there...
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #26
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
They said a new home button but in the pictures it looks the same as the iPhone 4...

You need to click it 3 times in a row. That's when the magic happens.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #27
Dukeuni
RIP CS

Trading: (32)
RA
Dukeuni is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
I've been an Android user for almost 2 years. The Apple apps, as a whole are more polished and can be more user friendly. But I like the idea of open source programming, even though it leads to a lot of sub-par apps on the Android Market. I like the comparison I heard the other day, iPhone is a polished product for the masses, Android is for techie types who like to have some control over their device.
I agree with this.

My wife has a Iphone, and I am just not as much of a fan. Is it a good phone? Yes. Does it run perfectly, yes. Does it give me the options I want? No way.

I like messing around with my phone I guess. I like adding custom ROMS, messing around with my phone, etc. I currently have a Motorola Droid Bionic and love it. While it may not be as polished as the iphone, I am having a blast making it "my" phone with customization.
Dukeuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #28
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

Apple's phones are definitely smoother, I'll give them that, but are basically 'child-proofed' with Apple's strict app market and OS.

Droids are where it's at

Honestly though, I'm surprised they wouldn't just go straight to the 5, even name wise! They seem to be falling a behind and this doesn't seem much different from the 4.

aj
Old 10-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #29
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I most definitely would have purchased an iPhone 5** but I am not sure I will purchase the 4S. Even so, I am not sure that I see this as Apple falling behind. Maybe they did not release all the features I wanted but that's not what it is about. It's about maximizing their profits to further their business.

They also have to make sure that their new product pipeline is healthy and they need to regain mind-share as their vision changes with a new CEO.

This new iPhone has a lot of good features. Some are similar to the Android and other competitors, some are better and some aren't. That's the way it is with all the vendors.

Maybe their are more people like me. They have not lost my business, just pushed it out a bit.

Just my

** I want the larger screen that the iPhone 5 is supposed to have

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:25 PM   #30
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I'm waiting for the5 because of the pop up electric razor it's rumored to be adding.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #31
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

i'm not getting another phone till it has a built in coffee maker, humidor, torch lighter, can split atoms, and has a dslr attached.....
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #32
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

From my reading prior to this release, it seems this is a stop-gap measure brought on by production issues. The iPad is supposed to go from the 2 to an "iPad plus" before hitting version 3.
The big holdup is in the A6 quad core chip. They decided on a different architecture (for the good) too late and needed to drop a product to meet the demand. I think they did good, although I won't be changing.
I will be changing to the iPad 3 when it rolls out, and may switch to the iPhone 5.
The hardware isn't nearly as exciting to me as ios5. I'm very much looking forward to the release and it should be very soon now. It'll make my 4 a better phone, and I'm hoping against hope that it'll support iPad 1, because I love this thing. I'd hate to give her up, even if the iPad 3 has laser cannons, a four slice toaster, and flip-out French Maid.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #33
MrClean
Bald Man

Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeuni View Post
I like messing around with my phone I guess. I like adding custom ROMS, messing around with my phone, etc. I currently have a Motorola Droid Bionic and love it. While it may not be as polished as the iphone, I am having a blast making it "my" phone with customization.
Bionic. I have the OG Droid and it's been rock solid for almost 2 years. We recently got my wife the Droid 3, she wanted a keyboard because her nails are too long to type accurately on a virtual keyboard, I was scoping out the Bionic and that phone ROCKS!!
True DDR2 RAM...MMMMM.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #34
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

First Name: Jason
Trading: (24)
Partagas
deadrise has a spectacular aura aboutdeadrise has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
flip-out French Maid.
man I hate it when they flip-out all I wanted was a little slap and tickle
Old 10-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #35
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I read about the ios5 update a month or two ago and have been totally stoked since I first heard about the features. I re-read this morning, and it is absolutely amazing how many more features and how much versatility this OS will add to my ipad and iphone.
Even stuff as simple as location-based-notifications. If I make a note to get milk on the way home, my phone will notify me when I get near the grocery store.
All my music, movies, and books in a cloud. I use Kindle on my phone and ipad, and can't even express how awesome it is to go from one device to the other and start reading right where I left off. Now I can do this with every feature on every device.
This platform just gets better and better and better. It's just because it's all so intuitive, kindergarten easy and user-friendly. This OS update will make the devices even a greater tool for everyday living.
My only fear is that it'll all make me even stupider than I already am. I only know 2 phone numbers. If I ever get lost, or need to call someone in an emergency, I'm in HUGE trouble. That's the one negative that scares me about this stuff.
What's good is that the icloud feature will fix that. Now I can access that stuff from anywhere. While it may not be instant, it's a far cry from being out in the cold because of my technology induced mental paralysis.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #36
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

When my contract came up for renewal, I looked at a few Droids and came close to the Matrix. After playing with it for an hour in the store, I decided to stay with Apple.

One of the main things for me was the Itunes player.

Probably better and more customizeable players out there, but I like I tunes.

Then again, Honda makes much more efficient motorcycles than Harley Davidson, but I wouldn't dream of switching brands.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #37
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerb View Post
like Verizion with exceptional 4G LTE network?). .
Not a knock on you, but 1) Verizon most certainly does NOT have an exceptional 4g network, and

2) Why are people even worrying about that, or thinking about it? Data caps are already in place, are getting more totalitarian by the minute, and people worry about network speed..

Why? You won't ever be able to take advantage of the speed, so why worry about it?
Old 10-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #38
Lonely Raven

Quote:
I concur. It's basically PC vs Apple, except on phones.

I love my EVO. I just wish it didn't suck down battery juice so badly. I can't make it through a 3 day camping weekend without a solar panel and charger.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #39
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Bionic. I have the OG Droid and it's been rock solid for almost 2 years. We recently got my wife the Droid 3, she wanted a keyboard because her nails are too long to type accurately on a virtual keyboard, I was scoping out the Bionic and that phone ROCKS!!
True DDR2 RAM...MMMMM.
just wait.. google is supposed to be announcing a Samsung/Google nexus prime(October 11th at some event). Which will have more development support, new android system and higher hardware specs. It should also support google wallet. Which might be a cool feature.

I have a moto bionic. Although its pretty cool. I liked the droid charge for user friendliness, development friendliness(custom ROMS) and it was lighter. MOTO blur is crap, its locked down like a vault and the phone is built pretty cheaply. IE lots of soft plastic.

As for the topic of the I4S. i think the biggest thing bar none that apple needs to do with the IOS firmware is get flash support. Sure i dont use it ofter but its great not to see broken webpages when i need to.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #40
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Not a knock on you, but 1) Verizon most certainly does NOT have an exceptional 4g network, and

2) Why are people even worrying about that, or thinking about it? Data caps are already in place, are getting more totalitarian by the minute, and people worry about network speed..

Why? You won't ever be able to take advantage of the speed, so why worry about it?
on the contrary. The LTE network is exceptional if you are in an area with it. I have an unlimited data plan as im grandfathered in. I use to for my downloads on campus as not to get into trouble. Even with a USB phone tether my phone is 10x faster then my dorms internet. Verizon also hasnt been able to throttle LTE yet. So even if i go threw 10gb in a week(just an example), they cant slow me down other then to kick me off which they wont do.