Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-23-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
PaleRider

Thumbs up Gran Habano #5 Corojo Imperial...Big Stick!

Gran Habano Imperials
6 X 60
Vitola-Robusto Gordo (Frickin Huge!)
Manufacture-G.R. Tabacaleras Unidas Honduras

Wrapper-Nicaraguan Corojo
Binder- Costa Rica
Filler-Costa Rica and Nicaraguan

Construction-Beautiful oily Corojo Wrapper. Amazing Sheen. Dense with considerable heft.

Pre-Light-Draw is smooth and free with a vegetal quality. There is a subtle sweetness present.

First Third- First Pallette is savory, salty with an herbaceous floral quality. Second Pallette is slightly sweet with a coffee flavor and notes of cedar. Mildlyl spicy.

White, tightly formed ash hold swell to the body. Smoke is prodigous and billowy, very smooth and cool.

Second Third-Remains salty and floral on the first pallette. There has been an increase in the intensity of the spice. To this point performance has been stellar. Burn is precise, smoke remains cool and in abundant quantities. Midway into the second third the savory saltiness has been replaced with a notable cocoa flavor with notes of coffee. Second pallete is alchoholic with a cedary sweetness.

Finish-Long, leathery with a wonderful spiciness. Noticeable flavors of cedar. Second Pallette, cocoa coffee and alchoholic. Ash performs well, burn remains precise. Draw continues to be free, smooth and cool.

Overall Impressions- At first glance this cigar evokes potential to be used as a bludgeon. Picking it up confirms this. This is the undisputed heavy weight in my collection.

This is a cigar that requries committment. My experinece was right at 2 hours. A fine selection for a round of golf that should keep you company at least to the turn.

Incredible construction, amazing flavor. Absolutely not a cigar for the uninitiated, as I am certain it would leave one grabbing for the wall before the end of the first third. This is definitely one for the veterans.

I am, once again, quite pleased with this vitola. I have enjoyed the Robusto, Gran Robusto and now the Imperials in this blend. Where all are similar, there is definite differences within, all being worthy of your time and your attention.

As far as price point goes, I purchased a box of 20 with a 4 pack bonus for less than $90.00 including shipping from bestcigarprices.com. Another endearing quality of the Gran Habano line. Value to performance ratio.

Once again my brothers, thank you for your time!