Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice
Default Liga Privada UF-13

As a self professed Liga Privada whore, I couldn't resist the purchase of a 5 pack (retail $13 stick) when these hit the shelves. I was excited to see the dark oily wrapper with the pig tail and couldn't wait to smoke one.

My friend, David D got a kitchen pass and we met at his man cave to have one of these. As I lit mine, I recognized the original spice that I usually get from the darker wrappers on the Ligas. The burn was very even, perfectly rolled and required only one touch up. I admittedly smoke faster than the average cigar smoker, so, getting that admission out of the way may explain my experience.

I found the UF-13 had the signature copious amounts of smoke. But, that's where it parted company with other Ligas. I continued to get strong peppery spice until halfway through where the cigar turned bitter and acrid. Wow. I wasn't expecting that. I looked at doc's stick and he was at about the same location, maybe 1/4 inch more on his stick. While he assured me it was good, the look on his face seemed to tell me otherwise.

Doc D is a classy guy. If that thing tasted like a flying turd from a buzzard's bottom, he wouldn't say, "Hey, this tastes like sheat!" He might say "Well, it's not my favorite." He said neither but I couldn't help that he might have felt somewhat the same way as I did: unimpressed.

This is quite an unusual experience for me with a LP. All I've had ranged from okay to FANTASTIC, like the FFP. But this cigar was underwhelming and pungent in flavor. Like the extra sharp cheddar cheese in cheeses pungent. No sweetness, no nutty tones, just pungency. Did I smoke it too fast? Maybe. I found touching it up/purging it made it more tolerable but just because it's a Liga, I'm not going to praise it. I didn't nub mine. I lit a No. 9 robusto afterwards while Doc was still 3/4 into his. A No. 9. Now, that's better.

I'm saving the others for some age time in my humi. Maybe in a few months, they'll mellow out and I'll get some enjoyment out of my investment. I remember enjoying the UF-4 a little more but still underwhelmed.

This cigar gets the following from me:

Pre-light appearance (oily, dark wrapper): 9 excellent

Roll quality (draw): 9.5 excellent

Burn quality (eveness of burn): 8 good

Flavor: 4 to 4.5 Poor (not a lost cause since it didn't turn bitter until half way).

On my scale, that makes this one a 77.

I personally find it's no wonder that, all of a sudden, I'm seeing UF-13's pop up on sales sites right and left, more than any other Liga Privada as of late. Maybe these need to age, who knows?

All other Ligas, save the UF-4, are strong 90+ in my book, with the FFP being the best I've had. I'll smoke another UF-13 in a few weeks/months and see if the flavor is better and then post back my opinion.

Last edited by cmitch; 05-13-2013 at 09:59 AM.
cmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Liga Privada UF-13

Clayton, might have just had a "dud". That, plus your fast smoking may have resulted in your outcome. I have smoked two of these and REALLY ENJOYED them both.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

I had my first UF-13 last night. I liked it. Thought was Liga like. Just didn't think it was worth the $15.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
Malakai
The Anti-Dennis

First Name: John
Trading: (34)
RA
Malakai will become famous soon enoughMalakai will become famous soon enough

I was excited to try the ones I managed to get. I smoked one and thought it was ok. I have liked most of the other stuff in the Liga and Unico lines that I have tried but was a bit let down by it. Perhaps it too was a dud and I will certainly smoke the others to give them a chance. At this point though I wouldn't see myself buying more of these until I have burned what I have.
Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
FUEL
Just 6 days...

First Name: James
Trading: (0)
Partagas
FUEL is on a distinguished road

I'm a Liga whore and I've been through a few boxes of them and all have varied. Never had a "bad" one but I've found that with virtually all Ligas for some reason they are best ROTT if you want any of the strength profile to remain. Saka posted in another forum that due to the high volume that they have made and the very fast turn around times from the pant to the store he recommended at least 3 weeks rest to allow them to acclimate.

I'm not a big believer in aging as I don't have the patience and I do get the resting period but not when it comes at the sacrifice of the over all profile which I have found between the pre-release, initial "launch" and the last box a week or two back.

With the exception of the Velvet Rat and Undercrown Pig I believe I have had them all (sans the Black Rat, BBR and Baschert which I really don't consider a fair comparison as they are virtually impossible to find let alone get someone to part with) and my favorite bar none is the Feral Pig. I don't mind paying $15 for a FFP but at the same price for a UF-13 I would not grab a single every time I hit the B&M. Smoking them too fast will give you that harshness I can say for certain as I am a faster smoker too (fawking ADD) and when I cognitively slow down they do blend very nice and creamy with a long oily finish.

YMMV
Old 05-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

I personally prefer the UF4 to the UF13 both ROTT and rested.
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Frank-D-Tank
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Frank
Frank-D-Tank is on a distinguished road

Just picked one up yesterday from my B&M. Happened in at the right time, so I figured I'd grab one while they had 'em. I've only tried a No 9 and a T52, so I am curious to see how this one stacks up. Probably going to let it acclimate for a few weeks.
Frank-D-Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
FUEL
Just 6 days...

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank-D-Tank View Post
Just picked one up yesterday from my B&M. Happened in at the right time, so I figured I'd grab one while they had 'em. I've only tried a No 9 and a T52, so I am curious to see how this one stacks up. Probably going to let it acclimate for a few weeks.
I'd smoke it right away then snag another and let it rest 3 weeks, compare and contrast.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:23 AM   #9
lilninjabuddy
Cigar Ninja

First Name: Derek
Trading: (2)
Montecristo
lilninjabuddy is on a distinguished road

That sharpness sounds like its sick. Ive had that with a few cigars. Give the others a few weeks downtime, and I bet you wind up with that same profile you know and love.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
Frank-D-Tank
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Frank
Frank-D-Tank is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEL View Post
I'd smoke it right away then snag another and let it rest 3 weeks, compare and contrast.
That sounds like a good idea. I am at work now, I will go by tomorrow and see if they still have them in stock.
Frank-D-Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
Azpostal
Feeling at Home

First Name: Don
Trading: (9)
Army (Served With Honor)
Azpostal is on a distinguished road

I have not had one of those yet but every DE cigar ive ever had has been pretty good.
Azpostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #12
ironchefscott
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: scott
Trading: (5)
HUpmann
ironchefscott will become famous soon enough

I was personally really unimpressed with this stick as well. I found it to be bland and boring. But hey what do I know? I have liked most other LP's I have had in the past, and based upon reviews I was really excited about this one.
ironchefscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #13
CamoFlogged
...may I have another?

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
CamoFlogged will become famous soon enoughCamoFlogged will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank-D-Tank View Post
That sounds like a good idea. I am at work now, I will go by tomorrow and see if they still have them in stock.
If your B&M still has them, I would buy them out. Lot's of folks on here would be happy to trade with you cause they are a tough find.
CamoFlogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #14
TheGiver
Just in from the Storm

TheGiver has disabled reputation

I want to be blown away by the UF-13, but so far I have not. So far the FFP has been that one. I have several of the UF's and paid top dollar locally and via online stores. So I really hope they change for me, otherwise I'll be stuck smoking something I felt I overpaid for.
TheGiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #15
cmitch
Heads up get down

Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

Found even more for sale last night. People are unloading these things like a Toyota out of warranty.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
FUEL
Just 6 days...

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
Found even more for sale last night. People are unloading these things like a Toyota out of warranty.
Where and at what price point out of curiosity?
Old 05-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #17
TheGiver
Just in from the Storm

I wouldn't say that by any means. I believe there are more available because well....there are more available. Not because of a quality issue.

Smoked my 3rd one the other night and it was outstanding. Far better than the first 2. It's been in my humi for about a month.
Quote:
They are going for around $180-$210 a box. If you are looking for some shoot me a PM. Would be happy to help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEL View Post
Where and at what price point out of curiosity?
Old 05-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #18
FUEL
Just 6 days...

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiver View Post
I wouldn't say that by any means. I believe there are more available because well....there are more available. Not because of a quality issue.

Smoked my 3rd one the other night and it was outstanding. Far better than the first 2. It's been in my humi for about a month.

They are going for around $180-$210 a box. If you are looking for some shoot me a PM. Would be happy to help.
Agree, I just believe that this is LPs first true hard launch of a higher production stick. I think they are great and don't think spending $15 for 2 hours of pleasure is a bad thing.

Appreciate the offer but boxes are available here for around $160 I was just curious and should have been more specific if they were being seen online or at local B&Ms.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #19
cmitch
Heads up get down

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiver View Post
I paid $65 plus shipping for a fiver. Retail is $13 a stick. So, if they're going for that, then it's just seller mark-up because they can get it.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #20
TheGiver
Just in from the Storm

This is not what the thread is about, but locally they are $13.99 +10% tax. Taxes are a killer. The .gov is making the real $. I got a fiver from I think it was corona or oldtimecigars @13 each then got just raped on the shipping at $11 because they would only send UPS.

Quote:
I paid $65 plus shipping for a fiver. Retail is $13 a stick. So, if they're going for that, then it's just seller mark-up because they can get it.