Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-06-2008, 10:42 PM   #1
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about
Default taboo barber pole

Well, im not going to make this very formal. Because i'm here to report back about the brand that is Taboo.

The Backstory:

I recently smoked a less-than-average Taboo and i wrote a review about it. After a huge response about "you need to try another" because i got a bad lemon. I tried another one tonight at the annual Columbus Ohio Christmas Herf.

Well, i am completely satisfied.

The cigar smelled great. the burn was perfect, and the draw was very perfect. The exterior was flawless and soft. The taste was very pleasing and it "quenched" my draw/smoke needs. The flavor was bold and consistent.

I an't say enough about Taboo's customer service and Rob is more... MORE than a stand up guy.

The cigar started out very nice and smooth, moved gradually towards heated and spicey, and finished hot like i like them. I cannot rave enough about how good and even the burn and draw were.

This cigar was a very good example of quality and construction. It didn't let me down even for a cigar that had mainly a one sided flavor. It wasn't very complex, but it didn't need to be. it was straight forward and the ash stayed on forever. Thats quality!

thank you taboo

- Bobby
Old 12-06-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
Darrell

Default Re: taboo barber pole

That's called a Taboo Twist, Bobby.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:47 PM   #3
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Taboo does make a good golf course cigar and a lot of people like them for everyday smokes. I too enjoy the occasional Twist myself
Old 12-06-2008, 11:03 PM   #4
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

ahhh right, the test, the name was eluding me!
Old 12-07-2008, 04:09 AM   #5
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

I like this with a bit of aging on them.... I have a box I am letting rest and hitting about 1 a month. They are definitly getting better.

The best cigar from Taboo I smoked is an SFO Boot Camp. Although not for me, I highly recommend anyone who wants to try something new, give this a whirl. Simply amazing, here is a bit of a review I posted on it:

"Interesting smoke....

Construction: 6.5" and maybe a 38/40 RG. Not sure what it was (bomb gift) - typical generic Taboo band. Very dark brown and black wrapper. Rugged contruction, both veiny and raised stem with a bit of a curley head on the cap. This doesn't bother me as it does seem to bother others.

Smoke: Wow.... It seems most of the Taboos (SFO/HSG) I have tried are a little stronger than I normally prefer. Strong nic to me gives the back of the throat a tightness. This is prolly one the most complex sticks I have smoked to date. Strong nic in places and in others it would fade to med. The flavors jumped from sweet to bland to others I couldn't place. Each 3/4" or so it was like a new cigar. Produced medium to slightly heavy amounts of smoke. I made it about 3" in before I stopped. Not that I dis-liked it, but I have a bit of a buzz and this is right after lunch. I'm a wimp. Simon, you need one of these.

The Twist and Cameroon are keepers, I'll have to pass on this one though (even though this smokes changing charectaristics are fun) in order to keep a clear head. I just picked up 10 Sumatras, they are next on the Taboo tasting."
Old 12-07-2008, 04:46 AM   #6
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

I love the Taboo Twist, SFO Original & Boot Camp! I switch them around depending on my mood. Another great golf course smoke is the Taboo Bundled Value Blend. Smooth, mild blend, very reasonable price, and stays lit forever!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post
...and finished hot like i like them. I cannot rave enough about how good and even the burn and draw were.

- Bobby
I hate it when a cigar finishes cold!
Old 12-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #8
str8edg

I liked this one as well. Picked one up last year and loved it. Not real strong but I found it to be a creamy cigar.

I have a few in my humi now for 6 months or so... looking forward to having another one
Old 12-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #9
dentonparrots

One of my first NC's, I looked forward to it for ages and it paid off
Old 12-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
dccraft

Good review. I have always like these creamy smokes.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #11
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: taboo barber pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8edg View Post
I have a few in my humi now for 6 months or so... looking forward to having another one
The Taboo Twist Toro (6"X58) is a favorite of mine - I've had 4 boxes of them so far this year. Unfortunately, I never have a box long enough to age any. I guess the next time I'll have to get 2 boxes - one to smoke and one to let sit for awhile and get some age on them.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #12
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

I've only had one twist but I really enjoyed it. I don't really have much experience with the brand but I do have a few more twists waiting for me in my humi.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:43 PM   #13
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Had my first one of these over the weekend, gifted to me by a fine brother.
Taste reminded me a lot of an Oliva G.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #14
csbrewfisher
Welcome to my nightmare

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (10)
LGC Navy (Served With Honor)
csbrewfisher will become famous soon enough

The Twist is the best double shade I've smoked. I swear I could taste citrus notes, but it could have just been the combination of food and drink too.

And I agree with you Bobby, Rob's customer service is A#1, along with everything else he does.
csbrewfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #15
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas

yeah, it reminded me of a couple of olivas i've had, the G.

Edit, i thought you said O... so yah huh!
Old 12-20-2008, 04:25 PM   #16
Trace63
We're all mad here

First Name: Kamil
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Trace63 is on a distinguished road

Taboo's are so-so for me. They usually start well but end up meh. Depends on the stick.

The twist was good but not great for me. Think Id spend the $4-5 somewhere else if need be. Thanks for the review though!
[replicant_argent] 11:07 am: Wasn't wayne a busboy at the last supper?
[Dooge] 10:49 pm: just judo chopped a fly
Trace63 is offline   Reply With Quote