Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 04-23-2017, 12:04 PM   #1
aroffe
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
aroffe is on a distinguished road
Default End table humidor question

Good day to all,
I am new to this website and would really appreciate guidance on the below item before I purchase.

The Montegue End Table Cigar Humidor HUM-MONTCAB

I would like your opinion on the quality of this humidor. I am not familiar with the company or their sureseal technology the discuss in the website.

The size is perfect and price is around $500.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
aroffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
Sadden
Its only money...

First Name: Colin
Cohiba
Sadden will become famous soon enough
Default Re: End table humidor question

Looks nice. But you will have to add humidification and probably do some sealing (gasket around the door and drawer) too make it a real performer.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:57 PM   #3
Brlesq
Carpe cigar!

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
Brlesq will become famous soon enough

I have the Montegue. It is a beautiful piece of furniture. The doors and drawer seal just fine if you lock them. However, there is an outlet that you install in a hole on the back, and I discovered that you need to seal that. (I have a friend that bought this one as well, same issue.) Install the outlet (4 screws) and then in a dark room, put a flashlight behind it and look inside to see where the gaps are at the outlet.

After you fix that, this one is a champ. I have about 4 lbs of KL in it and do not use an active humidification device. Holds about 1,100 cigars. The only drawback is getting on your hands and knees every time you want to get something in the back of it. (It's deep.) But I keep my long-term cigars being aged in the back, so its not an issue for me.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:58 PM   #4
hudd
Still Watching My Back

hudd will become famous soon enough

Father in law has an old mini fridge in the garage I've been trying to get to make a humidor out of. About 2 foot by 2 foot and looks like a wooden chest. He's one of those type of guys that won't let go of anything. He doesn't use it, just sitting there for several years. Would make a cool humi.
hudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:52 AM   #5
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudd View Post
Father in law has an old mini fridge in the garage I've been trying to get to make a humidor out of. About 2 foot by 2 foot and looks like a wooden chest. He's one of those type of guys that won't let go of anything. He doesn't use it, just sitting there for several years. Would make a cool humi.
You could offer to buy it...
Old 04-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I had a Montegue for my first few years of "collecting", and was very hapy with its performance. I would look at Cheaphumidors dot com at the Lauderdale if I was looking for another of this size. About 1/2 the price and also good quality when I had one of those.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:02 PM   #7
aroffe
Just in from the Storm

aroffe is on a distinguished road

I just found out that the humidor I'm looking to purchase is made with medium density fiberboard (MDF). The inside lined with cedar and outside lined with wood veneer.

Please let me know your thoughts on MDF used to make humidors. It's made in China.

Thanks!
aroffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:23 PM   #8
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

A lot of affordable humidors are made from MDF. It's not as good as solid wood, but as long as you take care of it, it will do OK.

If you can afford a solid-wood humidor, then I would go that route.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:17 PM   #9
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroffe View Post
I just found out that the humidor I'm looking to purchase is made with medium density fiberboard (MDF). The inside lined with cedar and outside lined with wood veneer.

Please let me know your thoughts on MDF used to make humidors. It's made in China.

Thanks!
You're describing how all that IKEA and similar furniture is made. More important is if the doors and joints are reasonably airtight and don't warp. You've got experience about that above
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:45 PM   #10
goatfarmer
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Dave
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
goatfarmer is on a distinguished road

After vinotemp, desk top humidors, tupperware and beads, decided to take the plunge and purchased a Humidor from Vigilant over 35 years ago, surprising company still in business. Hassle free, adjust desired humidity, when the light comes on add distilled water, and occasionally change filter and water.

IMO, if decide on 'end table' type humidor I would not include the glass.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:39 PM   #11
hudd
Still Watching My Back

hudd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
You could offer to buy it...
Tried that. He's got more money than he knows what to do with.
hudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:10 AM   #12
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudd View Post

https://cigarguideorg.wordpress.com/...or-conversion/
Old 04-28-2017, 06:21 AM   #13
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
Sweet, Ferdie!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:09 AM   #14
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Keith (Big Ash) did something too, topic is on the board here somewhere, turned it onto a hell of a Partagas SD4 humidor.