Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #21
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation
Default Re: What would you do for you canine best friend?

Thanks again to all.
Please keep your comments coming.
Believe me, it really helps after all.
I thought I would be more confused, and in part I still think I will be, but it is truly great therapy and a wealth of knowledge to learn what others have experienced as that may ultimately help me tremendously in my decision.

Just did a bit more reading on my holistic vet.
Here is his information if anyone can shed any light.
www.therightremedy.com

I have heard miracle stories from the groomer, who swears he has saved many of their customers' dogs, including a couple of their own.
Not knowing much about the science, in just reading the basic principles of what makes Champ's tumor grow and what the do for treatment, sure makes a lot of sense.

Will have to wait until after tomorrow's appointment to digest it all with the wife and make the final call on which road we take. In the interim, please keep your comments on this subject coming.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:14 AM   #22
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Well, seems someone is being honest with me from the vet side.
My daughter finally got to speak with her boss (vet facility where he was operated but by another doctor).
Her boss is the chief vet there and owner of the facility and very respected by many as one of the best in South Florida.
He says radiation and chemo is a horrible waste of time and money and gives false hope 50% of the time. The other 50%, it extends life somewhat but the prognosis is not good post a year and it really creates many, many other problems along the way due to their immune system being damaged during treatment. Often times, they die from other things that resulted from being weakened during treatment.

Interestingly enough, he recommended the use of Tahitian Noni Juice that apparently has been proven to reduce this type of tumor from regenerating.
I am trying to find some now but if anyone knows a reputable place that sells it, please let me know. I will try anything that will not negatively impact his remaining life. He is also going to go on Benadryl now which also has been proven to reduce the histimine in the tumor and hence keep it in check from regenerating.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:22 AM   #23
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

I was just going to post and ask you how it was going. I am not familiar with this product but will look for some on the net, I will let you know!
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #24
fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Interestingly enough, he recommended the use of Tahitian Noni Juice that apparently has been proven to reduce this type of tumor from regenerating.
Noni is very popular. just google it - there are thousands of people who sell it.

be ready for sticker shock. we used it a few years back and if i recall, it cost several hundred $ a month.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #25
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Carlos -

I have just made a choice for my beagle that is very similar though not exactly as yours.

My beagle, Rusty, is now 15 years old. He has a very large benign tumor/mass on his left shoulder. He has half a dozen other small masses here and there. Over the years the vets all said - it's benign no need to worry about. In the past year the tumor grew very fast - and seems to have stopped now. I have since changed vets - and they want to remove it. It's wrapped around his shoulder and fore-leg (sp?). Estimate to remove: $2500 to $3000 - just for the surgery.

I have in the last 4/5 months spent that much treating ear infections, pink eye, large gnash on his leg and skin problems. Those are without question must treat now, don't even think about it items.

But as you are now - I questioned and have thought long and hard on having the tumors removed.

My decision is - no. I will do everything to make him comfortable and pain free - but no surgery.

Rusty is half blind - some days doesn't even know who I am until he can catch the scent. He is mostly deaf - can't hear a loud clap 4 to 5 feet away. Most mornings - such as this morning - I had to roll him over a couple of times before he would even wake up. And some times he "leaks" when sleeping. He also runs and plays, gets excited (like most beagles) when it's dinner time, lays and rolls on the tumor - and at times just generally acts like a puppy.

But the truth is - he is 15 years old. His is already at the upper end of a beagles expected life span. I will do everything to make sure he is pain free - but no surgery. I won't put him through that at this stage. Surgery is painful and recovery is painful. I know. At his age I will not add this to his life.

And he has had a great life so far. I actually got him to act as a "hearing" dog for another dog we had at the time, Bandit. Bandit lived to be 23 years old - and went deaf at around 19/20 years old. Rusty was trained from the start that when he was called to go and tug on Bandit's collar and bring him. He did an excellent job of that. Actually took longer to house train him than it did that - LOL

Every dog is different and every situation is different Carlos - but know that you are not alone in having to make this tough call. And with that - my thoughts and prayers.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:57 AM   #26
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
Carlos -

I have just made a choice for my beagle that is very similar though not exactly as yours.

My beagle, Rusty, is now 15 years old. He has a very large benign tumor/mass on his left shoulder. He has half a dozen other small masses here and there. Over the years the vets all said - it's benign no need to worry about. In the past year the tumor grew very fast - and seems to have stopped now. I have since changed vets - and they want to remove it. It's wrapped around his shoulder and fore-leg (sp?). Estimate to remove: $2500 to $3000 - just for the surgery.

I have in the last 4/5 months spent that much treating ear infections, pink eye, large gnash on his leg and skin problems. Those are without question must treat now, don't even think about it items.

But as you are now - I questioned and have thought long and hard on having the tumors removed.

My decision is - no. I will do everything to make him comfortable and pain free - but no surgery.

Rusty is half blind - some days doesn't even know who I am until he can catch the scent. He is mostly deaf - can't hear a loud clap 4 to 5 feet away. Most mornings - such as this morning - I had to roll him over a couple of times before he would even wake up. And some times he "leaks" when sleeping. He also runs and plays, gets excited (like most beagles) when it's dinner time, lays and rolls on the tumor - and at times just generally acts like a puppy.

But the truth is - he is 15 years old. His is already at the upper end of a beagles expected life span. I will do everything to make sure he is pain free - but no surgery. I won't put him through that at this stage. Surgery is painful and recovery is painful. I know. At his age I will not add this to his life.

And he has had a great life so far. I actually got him to act as a "hearing" dog for another dog we had at the time, Bandit. Bandit lived to be 23 years old - and went deaf at around 19/20 years old. Rusty was trained from the start that when he was called to go and tug on Bandit's collar and bring him. He did an excellent job of that. Actually took longer to house train him than it did that - LOL

Every dog is different and every situation is different Carlos - but know that you are not alone in having to make this tough call. And with that - my thoughts and prayers.

Ron
Ron,

23 yrs? Amazing!!!

You can only imagine what it was like to see my buddy slit from the top of his back, right at his spine, all the way around to his chest, taking up nearly half of his body. It was not a pleasant sight. I have photos and dare not post them.

What I found amazing is their ability to heal compared to us humans. Within 10 days, the wound was totally sealed, barely showing any scabs. Three weeks later, it is a faint mark. He came home from surgery, just four hours post and was running around and chasing my grandson down.

What I can imagine at all is one option they gave me which was to open him up again, cut around the current incision and remove another large area and then sew him back up again. At this point, I say leave him alone until which time another one grows.

I guess what makes this so difficult for me is while I have had two dogs in the past, many, many years ago, the first I had to give away almost as soon as I got him. The second one was really my parents'. When I moved out and moved away, he stayed with them and I saw him seldom. These two guys I have now are what I would call my first dogs that I have had for 12 yrs on one and 13 on the other. I guess this is really the first time I am going through this and why it is so difficult. While my second one is loved as much as this one and while I am sure I will feel it when it is his time, it seems Champ will be the first for me. I have reliving so many fond memories of him as result that I perhaps would have never thought of. Those thoughts will always be with me.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #27
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Yes - an amazing age for a simply amazing dog. As fate would have it - we acquired him as an abandoned dog at the time we were moving from Indiana to here in Virginia. On the day before the actual move he was in an accident and due to the move was seen by three different vets. They all stated he was at least 3 years old and possibly up to 5 years old. We always used the 3 years when stating his age - so he could have been 25 years old.

I have always had dogs since as early as I can remember with the exception of college and three years in the Army. And Bandit was simply a gift from heaven. He did suffer two major injuries - he once torn a saliva duct which caused a backup and choking of his artery in his neck. Surgery there. And was once mauled by two very large dogs - 9 months of surgery and skin grafts to repair - you don't even want to know the cost.

We love them, they love us and they are family. It's tough when we have to make these calls, as I had to do with Bandit and now with Rusty. But it's that same love which will help you decide the best course - and the hard part is - not what's best for you - but for them.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #28
ahc4353

Quote:
... But it's that same love which will help you decide the best course - and the hard part is - not what's best for you - but for them.

Ron
Could not have said it better.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:33 PM   #29
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
We love them, they love us and they are family. It's tough when we have to make these calls, as I had to do with Bandit and now with Rusty. But it's that same love which will help you decide the best course - and the hard part is - not what's best for you - but for them.
Coming to that realization.

Just thought about it earlier. Of the few options, here is the probability:
1 - 50% chance of recurrence if opened up again and further cut
2 - 50% chance of recurrence with chemo
3 - 50% chance of recurrence if only treated with steroids and Benadryl
4 - 50% chance of recurrence if you do nothing

Boy, when looking at it as I just wrote it, truly a no brainer for the overall quality of life of Champ. For sure, one and two are out of the question based on what I have learned at this point.