Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation
Default Re: SEC fans, why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
I'll give you a take, but like others have said, you won't understand. And to borrow from you, flame suit on here as well...

First of all, I don't root for everyone in the SEC as there are bitter rivalries that have existed since long before my birth. Many teams in the SEC--I couldn't care less if they lost every game, but I do respect their programs and what they do and have accomplished. And when so many of those teams consistently do well it makes us all look good. And we are good. We're the best. Insert old saying--to be the best you have to beat the best.

That being said, this question generally comes from fans whose teams and conferences blow. How could you, as a fan of a team that blows, in a conference whose teams blow, be proud of that conference? You can't. And that's why this question even comes up. Jealousy and reality.

And to say there is no Southern Pride invloved would simply be a falsehood. Southerners, stereotypically and wrongly, get looked down upon by the rest of the country. You can argue that all you want but it's true and you know it. You WILL NOT look down upon us for our college football. And we will let you know that.

Why aren't we proud of ALL Southern schools? Hell, we just let Vandy hang around because somebody in the bunch needs some brains.

I'm gonna stop here... and I almost deleted this whole post. I could write a dissertation on it, but like has been said before, you wouldn't understand.

I think back to the stories I was told when I was young. Years ago of when my parents were in college sitting in the empty stands in pouring down rain rooting for a team that barely won 2 games all season.

That is being a fan.

Maybe that's just something SEC fans "wouldn't understand."

JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmancbr View Post
Makes perfect sense to me Tom and that's exactly how I think most conference people see it as well...
Thank goodness I am making sense to someone, Zach!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
I think back to the stories I was told when I was young. Years ago of when my parents were in college sitting in the empty stands in pouring down rain rooting for a team that barely won 2 games all season.

That is being a fan.

I hate to disagree with that, but the gator fans know exactly what that's like. Granted it's been a while, but they know.

I got your back Brent.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

That is being a fan.

This thread has nothing to do with being a fan. They don't teach reading comprehension in Corvallis?

PS: Tell Mike Riley I said "Roll Tide"...he'll understand.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #5
Clampdown
I Cut Like a Buffalo

First Name: Brian
Trading: (12)
RA
Clampdown will become famous soon enough

Quote:

That is being a fan.

UK has one the worst teams in the SEC yet we sell out nearly every home game (stadium seats almost 70,000). No matter the year, Commonwealth has nearly always been filled (http://www.ukathletics.com/athletic-...h-stadium.html). Part of that might be a lack of an NFL team in Kentucky, but the love UK fan's have for the team/SEC football would be the primary factor. I can still remember going to the Uk vs. Indiana football game in the pouring rain and wind. I stayed the entire game as UK came away with the 3-0 victory.
Clampdown is offline   Reply With Quote