Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Reviews

Old 02-05-2014, 09:50 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Introducing Col. & Rev.Views

Col. Kurtz received a couple samples of tobacco from me. We're both going to review them we'll call this series, Col. & Rev.Views. He'll start a thread to review one of the tobaccos I sent, then I'll review it. To keep things consistent we'll use the same format. The Col. hasn't chimed in on this yet, but what I will suggest is:

How about a standardized form for rating tobaccos here. It gives us something to look at and hopefully, with the broad range of things described.

0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior

1) Aesthetics: the look of the tobacco - rough cut, ribbon cut, cubed cut, brick, flake, what colors, maybe even the tobacco’s aesthetic appeal (maybe this is better for describing a pipe)

Score for aesthetics:

2) Pre-light Construction: moist? dry? Difficult to rub out? easy to pack? ease of lighting? does it smell cased, naturally sweet, smoky, reminds you of a particular fruit?

Score for Pre-light construction:

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: burns evenly? smokes hot or cool? What is ash like? color of ash? flaky or solid? did it get overly wet?

Score for post-light construction:

4) Flavor and strength: English, Oriental, Aromatic, etc... What does it taste like? Full-bodied, med. or mild? Does it taste earthy, spicy, fruity (which one?), vegetal, sweet, rich, harsh, floral, robust, woodsy, acidic, salty, nutty, caramelly, marshmallowy, etc...? Is it pleasant or unpleasant? Does it build in flavor and/or complexity as you smoke it? Is it bland, flavorful, complex? Did it get bitter?

Score for flavor and strength:

5) Aftertaste/Finish: aftertaste is the sensation &/or flavor on you palate after each puff, not the taste left after you finish the bowl. Is it heavy - light? Spicy, nutty, fruity, bitter, hot, grassy? Mild - strong? Pleasant or not? Harsh?

Score for aftertaste:

6) Aroma: What does it smell like? Good - bad? light or heavy? pervasive - mild? overpowering, unpleasant, magnificent? nutty, spicy, earthy, smoky?

Score for aroma:

7) General Comments Did you particlarily enjoy of with a certain food or beverage? Does this blend appeal more at certain time of day? Did it remind you of something? Would you buy it again? Sum it up as you would to a friends ("That tobacco was awesome!") and give it an overall score.

Overall score for the tobacco:
8) Recommendation: Would you recommend this blend? Pick one of the following and explain: Not Recommended/Possibly Recommended/Recommended/Highly Recommended
Old 02-06-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Introducing Col. & Rev.Views

As a new pipe smoker i cannot wait to see these unfold

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
Islayphile
Wee Dram Hunter

First Name: Mike
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
Islayphile is on a distinguished road

Sounds great
Old 02-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

The first installment for Col. & Rev.Views has gone up. I did the first review of the latest incarnation of Three Nuns which the good Col. sent me to sample.

Swing on over and take a gander at how the format plays out in a real review of a tobacco. I am open to suggestions.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=65381

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Sounds fine to me Todd,

I should have my Three Nuns review up tonight..