Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 01-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #21
phidelt076
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (2)
phidelt076 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: P90X Workout

I just got started on this Monday night. It is royally kicking my arse. We did the first plyometrics workout last night and that destroyed me! I figured the ab ripper session from Monday night would have had some crunches or something but man that was a crazy workout. I need to work on my balance and flexability pronto to get the ab workout down.

I can barely move today and just getting out of my chair is a chore. Strangely enough I can't wait for the arms and shoulder workout tonight.
phidelt076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #22
doctorcue
BABOTL - VP of Drinking

First Name: Danny
VR
doctorcue is on a distinguished road

I'm finally better from being sick; so I'm going to hit the gym again and get ready for p90. I'm hoping for mid-Feb start time. I need to get my knee strength back & the lungs too.

I have to lose this belly!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #23
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

What are the time committments each day? I have a crazy work/commuting schedule and I'm currently in a lazy stage regarding actual exercise (I do walk about a 1/2 mile per day).
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:26 PM   #24
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade06 View Post
What are the time committments each day? I have a crazy work/commuting schedule and I'm currently in a lazy stage regarding actual exercise (I do walk about a 1/2 mile per day).
One hour to an hour and a half each day..six days a week
Old 01-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #25
doctorcue
BABOTL - VP of Drinking

First Name: Danny
VR
doctorcue is on a distinguished road

Each workout is anywhere from 45-90 minutes if memory serves me correctly. That includes warm-up and cool-down.

Hah... I remember the first time I tried this workout. I just about passed out. I had to stop halfway though. It is rough; but good. Get used to working a few weeks in advance (not light either; should be able to run a little bit). Then get used to the intensity. Gatorade & Motrin will be your friend!
Old 01-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #26
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Sounds to hard core for me now. I think I'll have to wait until I get fatter.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:33 AM   #27
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorcue View Post
Each workout is anywhere from 45-90 minutes if memory serves me correctly. That includes warm-up and cool-down.

Hah... I remember the first time I tried this workout. I just about passed out. I had to stop halfway though. It is rough; but good. Get used to working a few weeks in advance (not light either; should be able to run a little bit). Then get used to the intensity. Gatorade & Motrin will be your friend!

Yep. If you read the manual (what? who reads the manual?) it says that you should already be in pretty good shape before you start this. There's a pre-P90X assessment you're supposed to do to make sure you don't have a heart attack or something once you start. Cuz I'm telling you --you might anyway, even if you're in good shape.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:38 AM   #28
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

It's been a couple months so I thought I'd bump this thread up and see how folks are progressing...

After recuperating from some "old age" injuries, I started back in to my P90X prep in January with some running and light weight training. Worked myself up to about 15-20 mi/week before relaunching P90X about a month ago. Going down the "classic" path, and decided that I would stick as close as possible to the nutrition plan. I had lost some weight since January but despite all that running, I plateaued and couldn't lose more past a certain point.

So now I'm in the "recovery" week of Phase I, and I'm pleased that I've dropped those last 5 pounds to break my targeted weight barrier The cardio I started really helped prepare me for the P90X plyometrics, kenpo, and the general pace of the workouts. It is intense! I've always been pretty flexible but never done yoga before, but I've come to enjoy--well, respect--YogaX. I still hate Ab Ripper X, but I never skip it. Mostly because I like seeing Audra, but it really does help. I'm still too fat around the middle for my sculpted abs to show, but I can really tell a difference in my core strength. And at 46, who has sculpted abs anyway? Except for Mr. Tony "Freakofnature" Horton. The bastard.

I can see the strength gains on paper, since all of my weights or reps have gone up every week since starting. I still can't grind out the pull-ups--wtf, these guys are doing 100 in the Chest & Back session? Holy crap! But I substitute by loading up my lat pulldown machine with weights and performing the various exercises that way. I figure it's the same as using the bands and I can see a definite progression.

It's a ball buster, but I'm glad I finally started. Looking forward to more improvements over the rest of the summer.

Anybody else have anything to report?

Old 06-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #29
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

I love P90X. I did it last year and got totally jacked...the best shape I have ever been in. With the wedding and moving I got lazy...time to start again. Before P-90 I am going to run everyday for 2 weeks to get in the zone, plus I do not want to start before my Flortida vacation. I have the pictures to prove how jacked I was I cant wait to start up again!
Old 06-23-2009, 12:25 PM   #30
BORIStheBLADE
_

First Name: Mike
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
BORIStheBLADE will become famous soon enough

My buddy gave me his DVD's of the P90x to try out and I think I'm going to give it a try later this week. I have heard a lot of good things about it so it should be fun.

I have been running and picking up the weights already so hopefully I can handle it.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #31
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Ok so for my first day of Pre-P90X, I ran for 30 mins in 100 degree heat. I followed thay with a 22 minute walk. I plan on doing Ab-RipperX tonight. Tomorrow, hill running!
Old 08-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #32
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

Holy Chit...I just finished week 1 of P90X and while it was awesome, it sucked. I worked my ass off for over an hour every day and I am feeling it. I cannot wait to start week 2 though. I am actually getting my body fat tested next week in a pool (hydrostatic), so that should be interesting.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #33
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner View Post
Holy Chit...I just finished week 1 of P90X and while it was awesome, it sucked. I worked my ass off for over an hour every day and I am feeling it. I cannot wait to start week 2 though. I am actually getting my body fat tested next week in a pool (hydrostatic), so that should be interesting.
Great going, James! I'm just finishing up Phase 2 (I took about a week off for vacation, so I'm off schedule just a bit.) I think coupling the nutrition plan with the daily exercise is key to this program. My weight has continued to drop, and my strength & muscle definition is better than it's been in years.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:21 AM   #34
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
Great going, James! I'm just finishing up Phase 2 (I took about a week off for vacation, so I'm off schedule just a bit.) I think coupling the nutrition plan with the daily exercise is key to this program. My weight has continued to drop, and my strength & muscle definition is better than it's been in years.
Sweet Gerard. I actually did P90X over a year ago and got my body fat down to 6%. Since then I have lost a lot of muscle definition and gained some weight. I am following the nutrition plan as well. I will have the results to the body fat test sometime tomorrow. Today is shoulders and arms...one of my favorites.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:33 AM   #35
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

When you guys did the P90X did you take any supplements or just follow the nutrition plan?
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #36
chubby

I did the work-out without doing the diet portion. I already ate pretty healthy so I did not think I needed to go by their plan. I usually worked out at the gym for about an hour and then drove home and did each days work-out. After 5 weeks, I went from 150lbs to 142lbs. I really did not try to do it to lose weight but it happened. It leaned me out pretty good so I had to stop. It can be as intense as you make it to be, but the guy can get pretty annoying at times so I would just do it with the cues on and music off. Plyometrics is the best one I think.....it's tough.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #37
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorcue View Post
I have to lose this belly!!!
Ya you do.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:20 AM   #38
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
When you guys did the P90X did you take any supplements or just follow the nutrition plan?
I followed the nutrition plan but had to supplement with protein mix and a post-workout recovery drink. In Phase 2 the plan called for 7 servings of protein/day, which is tough to get without the shake.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #39
Cord

I did P90X for 2 months and the last week and a half of the two months I started running three miles every other morning before workouts at night. I lost about 18 lbs and then my knee got all messed up and couldn't work out for about a month. Just started day one again. When I first started I was 225lbs and my goal is to get under 200lbs then take a break and start again to get under 190lbs. I don't do the diet plan that well I am a picky eater but while doing the X i cut out sugars so no sodas, sweet tea, candy ect..

I do drink a pre workout drink, a post workout drink and some daily pills.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #40
Poronico
Teh Forever Noob

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Poronico will become famous soon enoughPoronico will become famous soon enough

Me and the Girlfriend are starting P90X in the AM tomorrow, Just did all the grocery shopping, that was a nightmare! All the food and supplies aren't all that bad, the food is actually really tasty. I am hoping to get back down to my wrestling weight, but we'll see. I am an ex athlete and just kinda stop caring about fitness after highschool. So I am weighing in at 235 hoping to shred out at 190 at somewhere around 7% -10% body fat.