Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
GrouchoM
The secret word is cigar!

First Name: GrouchoM
Trading: (0)
Punch
GrouchoM is on a distinguished road
Default Happy Cinco de Mayo...it's a Texas thing

Cinco de Mayo (pronounced: [ˈsiŋko đe ˈmaʝo]; Spanish for "May 5th", or literally, "Fifth of May") is a celebration held onMay 5. The date is observed to commemorate the Mexican Army's unlikely victory over French forces at theBattle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza. In the United States, Cinco de Mayo is sometimes mistaken to be Mexico's Independence Day—the most important national holiday in Mexico—which is celebrated on September 16.
GrouchoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:43 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Happy Cinco de Mayo...it's a Texas thing

Been celebrating it in the Midwest for the 36 years I've been a legal drinker, so not sure why you'd call it a "Texas thing"?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:47 PM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Been celebrating it in the Midwest for the 36 years I've been a legal drinker, so not sure why you'd call it a "Texas thing"?
Because Texas is actually North Mexico.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:50 PM   #4
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoM View Post
Cinco de Mayo (pronounced: [ˈsiŋko đe ˈmaʝo]; Spanish for "May 5th", or literally, "Fifth of May") is a celebration held onMay 5. The date is observed to commemorate the Mexican Army's unlikely victory over French forces at theBattle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza. In the United States, Cinco de Mayo is sometimes mistaken to be Mexico's Independence Day—the most important national holiday in Mexico—which is celebrated on September 16.
Definitely NOT a Texas "thing"
Have you ever been to Southern California?
Old 05-05-2016, 03:17 PM   #5
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

It's actually more of an Mexican in American thing than a Mexican in Mexico thing.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
It's actually more of an Mexican in American thing than a Mexican in Mexico thing.
You're wrong other Adam, I read on the internet that it was really a Texas thing.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #7
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
You're wrong other Adam, I read on the internet that it was really a Texas thing.
Well if you read it on the internet....then it has to be true.
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:35 PM   #8
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

The interwebz never lie. Nevar!
Old 05-05-2016, 07:51 PM   #9
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

A Texas thing?....been a Mexican thing as long as I can remember...oh ya, it's a Utah thing also since all the south of the border folks who are here drink a sh!t ton of Corona and Dos Equis!
Old 05-05-2016, 07:52 PM   #10
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Because Texas is actually North Mexico.
That's true.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #11
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

It's a marketing thing. Most Americans wouldn't give a rat's turd about it if not for the efforts of Corona and Cuervo.

Which I'm totally okay with; any excuse to drink tequila in the middle of the week works for me.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:57 PM   #12
hwgoesit
Luvin Life

First Name: gerard
HUpmann
hwgoesit is on a distinguished road

Time for a corona...
And a corona
hwgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:11 PM   #13
rwiiames
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Wes
rwiiames is on a distinguished road

And all this time I thought it meant 5X Mayonnaise on my sammich, please.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:10 PM   #14
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

From Big Joe Henry:

For me Sinko de Mayo is truly a day to celebrate. Few people have come to know the “true” story of the origin of Sinko de Mayo. It is my pleasure to set the record straight.

A little known fact is that back in 1912, Hellmann’s mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York. This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico but as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York.

The ship hit an iceberg and sank and the cargo was forever lost. The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5 and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

Go out on this day, grab a couple of slices of Wonderbread and a jar of Hellman’s mayonnaise and have a party. You know I will!

Read More: The True Story of Sinko de Mayo, according to Big Joe Henry | http://nj1015.com/the-true-story-of-...ckback=tsmclip
Old 05-06-2016, 05:10 AM   #15
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
From Big Joe Henry:

For me Sinko de Mayo is truly a day to celebrate. Few people have come to know the “true” story of the origin of Sinko de Mayo. It is my pleasure to set the record straight.

A little known fact is that back in 1912, Hellmann’s mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York. This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico but as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York.

The ship hit an iceberg and sank and the cargo was forever lost. The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5 and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

Go out on this day, grab a couple of slices of Wonderbread and a jar of Hellman’s mayonnaise and have a party. You know I will!

Read More: The True Story of Sinko de Mayo, according to Big Joe Henry | http://nj1015.com/the-true-story-of-...ckback=tsmclip

Sounds legit....and since i read it on the internet it must be true.
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote