Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Tragic shooting death involving off duty Detroit Police officer

I have the utmost respect for LEOs, firefighters, and other public service workers. I have read a couple articles on this tragedy. Here is one: http://www.freep.com/article/2012071...-daughter-die-

And another: http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...-accident?lite

What is clear is a 24 year old woman is dead from a gunshot wound to the chest. The rest I can't piece together. It just doesn't add up. Now I'm not blaming the officer or the victim. I'm just trying to work it out in my head as to how this could happen. Below are some of the logistics.

The weapon was a S&W M&P 40. It only has a safety within the trigger, similar to that used on Glock pistols. While I am not a fan of this safety design, I can't figure out how this weapon went off. To pull a trigger unintentionally through a neoprene holster would be difficult/improbable. Plus, how did the angle of the barrel allow for her to be shot in the chest? It just seems something isn't right with this story.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tragic shooting death involving off duty Detroit Police officer

I don't see how she was shot in the chest if it was holstered. First of all, the holster covers the trigger. So, lets just say she got her hand in the holster, pulled the trigger, but then how does it shoot upward at her chest if the gun is pointing down.

I wonder if she committed suicide and he is covering for her or something like that?
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I agree. There's some missing details to this story. I wonder if she was on her knees and not hugging him as they contend.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I agree. There's some missing details to this story. I wonder if she was on her knees and not hugging him as they contend.
It's possibly but her family contends she didn't even know him prior to this. I'm sure the angle of the wounds would be very helpful in determining both of their positions when the weapon discharged.

Edited: Just found an article saying just what you thought.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012071...xt%7CFRONTPAGE

Quote:
Adaisha Miller was on her knees while dancing behind an off-duty Detroit police officer early Sunday when his holstered gun fired, striking her in the chest, a police official familiar with the investigation told the Free Press today.

The official said that explains how Miller was shot in the chest while dancing behind Officer Isaac Parrish during a fish fry early Sunday at his home on Archdale. The official said the angle of the gunshot is possible because Miller was not standing.

The official described it as some type of "exotic dance" where Miller, 24, was tugging at Parrish’s waist.

Miller’s family members strongly disputed that account today.

Last edited by 357; 07-10-2012 at 11:18 AM.
357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Will herf for food

VR

But still, when holstered a gun points down. Which means the trigger must be pulled in an upward direction. So they're saying she pushed upward against this neoprene holster hard enough (6.5-10 lbs of force) and specifically within the trigger guard so as to completely depress the trigger?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Remo
C.I.A

Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

I was thinking about this yesterday, was wondering how an IWB or hip holster could hit her in the chest,,,then I thought, maybe it was a shoulder holster, pointing backward and when she hugged him from behind somehow it went off?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
Will herf for food

VR

Just to be extra clear, I know two members of CA that are active DPD. They are both good guys. It's probable that they know Officer Parrish. I am not suggesting that he did anything wrong. I am just questing the reported account of events.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

We were talking about this the other night at work. Somebody is telling a lie. No way a gun in a holster is going to shoot up like that. Something is fishy.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Just to be extra clear, I know two members of CA that are active DPD. They are both good guys. It's probable that they know Officer Parrish. I am not suggesting that he did anything wrong. I am just questing the reported account of events.
Yup, whatever the media says is about 20% accurate, yes a gun was fired and unfortunately someone was killed, I will wait for some official account.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

This is a perfect example of his side, the other side, and somewhere in between lies the truth.
Can't phantom how this could have happened as described.
If true, my concealed in my back pocket should have put quite a few holes in me or somebody by now.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #11
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Moral of the story: Don't carry cocked with a round in the chamber. Use a revolver for safer self defense.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I looked at all this and can see it happen. There are probably details that are being witheld to protect the victim, that'd be my best guess.
It boils down to a tragic accident. Most accidents don't happen as a result of one odd thing taking place, it's usually a string of human errors that lead to catastrophe.
I just hope Adaisha's parents can find the explanation they're looking for. Odds are they won't accept the truth, it'll be stranger than fiction.
All details aside, everyone involved could use our prayers.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
Moral of the story: Don't carry cocked with a round in the chamber. Use a revolver for safer self defense.
That's not how we were trained in the Police Academy Brian because if you are ever in a gun fight for your life or the life of someone else, each second that it takes you to load your weapon can be fatal.

This was a very tragic accident. Scott, I also can see how this can happen. I will try to download a demo shortly. I do not know the officer or victim in this situation, nor am I trying to justify what happened.

I to am waiting on the official report, but looking at the possibility of it all, I believe it is possible.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Like Remo Mike, I will refrain from commenting until the facts come to light. Everything else right now is speculation and conjecture.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #15
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Like Remo Mike, I will refrain from commenting until the facts come to light. Everything else right now is speculation and conjecture.
Agreed Tom. I just wanted to test what was said to have happened to see if it was even possible. From what I just tried at home with NO scientific proof, it seems possible, NOT that is happened this way at all.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #16
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Understood, Howard, I hope it all comes out (well) in the wash.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 07-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #17
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I have shot one of those, in fact I have one. You can't accidentally pull THAT trigger. Especially in a holster, it's probably a 10 pound D/A trigger. I'm sure it's possible.....but damn, not easy.

That said, accidentally discharges happen to A LOT of people sooner or later. MANY people won't admit it but they have shot a round in something sooner or later. Even if it's just at the range and they shoot the floor or ground. Gun jams and they accidentally pull the trigger while racking it......etc etc.

It hasn't happened to me but I do know people who have had it happen.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #18
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

This is just assuming what they are saying is really what happened. If so, where is the need to conceal a loaded and cocked weapon in your own back yard? I realize this is detroit, but it's not like this guy was on duty in a public area; it was his own home with friends he invited himself.

Anyways, that's why I prefer double action revolvers. You don't sacrifice speed, but it takes a lot more to discharge them accidentally.

Either way, the story definitely doesn't seem add up. Seems fishy.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #19
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I guess you've never lived in Detroit, Brian.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #20
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I guess you've never lived in Detroit, Brian.
I would have two guns on me even while in the house if lived in the D.