Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-22-2008, 07:50 AM   #1
Langod
NH Masshole

First Name: Jim
Trading: (3)
Punch
Langod is on a distinguished road
Default Punch Champion

Date: 10/21/08
Reviewer: langod

Cigar: Punch Champion
Size: 4.5 x 30-60
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra seed wrapper
Filler: Dominican Republic, Honduras, and Nicaragua
Binder: Connecticut
Flavor: Medium to full bodied
Ambience: Outside on a deck, cool fall night.
Beverage: none
Appearance: This is an interestingly shaped cigar. Much like a perfecto, but with the widest part of the bulge concentrated about 1/3 from the foot end. Medium-dark brown wrapper, smooth, no major noticeable defects
Pre-Light: rich, pleasant, leather and chocolate smell. Good firm feel, no noticeable soft spots.
Clip: Clipped easily with my cheapie $1 guillotine. Took a few pre-light draws and noticed a strong coffee and sweet flavor. Delicious.
Draw: easy
1/3: An initial hit of spice for the first few puffs, mellowing into a smooth leather and nut flavor which reminded me of almond.
2/3: A thick flavorful smoke becomes apparent – after exhaling, a rich creamy toasty-ness coats the mouth. Subtle coffee flavor also.
3/3: Rich and getting a very toasted flavor. The nutty flavor is gone, leaving toasted leather and a slight burnt coffee bean essence. I recut the cigar going into the last third.
Burn: Easy to light and maintain. Needed a touchup as the burn got past the fattest part of the cigar
Ash: This cigar did not draw well after the ash grew to ¾”. The flavor profile started turning bitter also. I started knocking off the ash every several puffs and had no more problems with burn or flavor.
Strength: little effect until the end when I noticed a light but distinct nic buzz.
Finish: I smoked this well into the last third. Stayed pleasant all the way through.
Time: about 1 hour.
Impression: Excellent smoke, great flavor and very smooth and creamy. I loved the mouth feel of the rich smoke. Highly Recommended – I will be searching these out for my humidor.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:04 AM   #2
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Punch Champion

I've smoked many of these and I love them...add a year or two to them and yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Punch Champion

I've wondered about these because they seem available at auction at good prices. Thanks for the review!

BlackIrish